Author Topic: John Gurner/Southwalk, UK  (Read 3920 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: John Gurner/Southwalk, UK
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 March 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Gurnerdescendant, and welcome to Rootschat!
Between 6 and 7 years since this thread was last active, but exciting nonetheless to see it burst back into life...
Russell Kelly published his book: "In the Wake of the Lord Melville" in 2012, and I have a copy, but it also has its own Facebook Page if you ever go on there.  And yes, there are many aspects of John GURNER's life I would still love to discover the truth of, particularly where he might have obtained his legal training, whether it was in London or even at Cambridge University, though I would lean towards London as being the most likely venue.  Not sure either, about how he made himself known to Judge Barron Field initially.
And the whole business of the fortunes of the original GURNER family of tenant farmers in Ickleton certainly took a turn for the worst with enclosure in about 1810, and there are documents held by the Family History Society of Ickleton that show that James Gurner took out a loan or mortgage for £500 which ultimately nearly ruined the family.  So cannot say whether he would have been "dissolute" before general events took a turn for the worse, or as a result of what happened!  I think John GURNER and Henry Pakeman GURNER saw the writing on the wall and headed to London to make a different kind of life for themselves other than farming the land.
And although Valance farm features in those documents too, with GURNER family connections, I would imagine it was Saxon Lodge/House (that is now called Gurner House) that would have been the property in the village that might have been "bought back"
Are you and your family in Australia still, being descended from John GURNER?  Perhaps I should PM you (Personal Message) on Rootschat so we can exchange details about this whole fascinating GURNER migration and descent...but not now, as it's getting rather late here.  Tomorrow...
Very best wishes,
Keith