Author Topic: PHILIP KINSELLA  (Read 4004 times)

Offline feathers

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
PHILIP KINSELLA
« on: Thursday 22 October 09 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder can anybody help with finding a marriage.  Philip Kinsella b c1836 Dublin who married Eliza Norton.  I have a birth cert of a child for them 11/12/1872 dau. Mary.  However, I am having trouble finding a marriage.  I would also be grateful if anyone finds a marriage for this Philip Kinsella to anyone else as he was apparently married twice. He was in 19 Hanover Street in 1872 and in Wentworth Place on the 1911 census.  I haven't been able to find him on the 1901 census.  I was also told that he owned a row of cottages near Hanover Quay called Kinsellas Cottages and they are in a Thoms Directory but I don't know which one.    If anyone can point me in the right direction - I have also found another child for this marriage called Rosanna - the Kinsella was misspelt as KinShella.  Thank you.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: PHILIP KINSELLA
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
this looks like a possible match from the familysearch Civil Index (http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347) :

Name: Philip Kinsella
 Registration district: Dublin South
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1872
 volume: 2 / page: 809

Name: Elizabeth Norton
 (same index details)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline feathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 09 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane!  I was hoping you'd reply!!  I tried looking up that site but I'm doing something wrong somewhere.  Would the GRO in Roscommon be able to give me a copy of this certificate if I apply?  Also if I can trouble you again, will you look up your Thoms directories to see if Kinsella is there.  I think the addresses would be Hanover Street, Harmony Row or Wentworth Place.  Thanks a million.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
... Would the GRO in Roscommon be able to give me a copy of this certificate if I apply?  Also if I can trouble you again, will you look up your Thoms directories to see if Kinsella is there.  I think the addresses would be Hanover Street, Harmony Row or Wentworth Place.  Thanks a million.

You can order a cert from the GRO with the reference details I posted - the form is on their website at : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

dont worry about the irrelevant details on the form (RSI number etc)  just ensure all the index details are included.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
he's listed in Thom's of 1894 and 1914 as

10 Wentworth Place, Kinsella, Mr. Philip (no occupation listed in the directory)

but no luck with the earlier directories.  In the 1860s most of Hanover Street (16 to 26) was tenements so there are no details given.

In the late 1870's number 19 Hanover St is listed as
  Thos. Henry Pemberton, builder (res. 39 Sandymount Rd)
  David Young
  J.R. Stephens & Co. Coal stores

what was Philip's occupation or trade, and do you have an approximate timeline for him at the various addresses ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline feathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 09 18:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane.  I will try to get a timeline on the addresses later from my Mum - but a bit hazy to get. 
It's interesting that in the late 1870's 19 Hanover Street has a coal stores.  From what I can gather Philip Kinsella was a Coal Stevedore and going on the anecdotes my own grandmother told me about him (her grandfather), he was very well off and had his own ships on the quays in Dublin.  If I could find out his family ancestors perhaps JR Stephens is a maternal relative whose business he may have gotten involved in?  I have applied for the marriage cert but it's hard to get a birth cert for Philip Kinsella because of the birth date - c1836.  Thank you for all your help.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 October 09 00:57 BST (UK) »
Feathers
Slat0r's Directory 1894  shows that a P.Kinsler (sic) stevedore was resident at No.10 Wentworth Place.
I have no entry of interest for the 1870s for 19 Hanover Street in my source work based on the Irish Times 1859-1901 but there is an entry for No.27 Hanover Street on the 4th February 1876 on Page 3 in the Law Report where a J Kinsella     was denied an alchol licence . On 27th October 1876 P.3  LR  James Kinsella was mentioned.
Is this of any interest to you?

Regards     Quaxer           

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
another birth.

rosanna 3-5-1874 dub. ire.

parents. philip kinshella & elizabeth norton.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline feathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 October 09 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Mary
Thank you very much for that.  We had always believed that Mary was an only child - my grandmother always believed that her mother Mary was an only child - but my grandmothers name was Rosanna too so there must have been sibling(s) who died?  My search goes on ......!
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin