Author Topic: currans in fennagh and myshall  (Read 24056 times)

Offline josie7644

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: currans in fennagh and myshall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 11 03:16 BST (UK) »
There are still Currans living in Drumphea  (same given name as you are looking for )
Check the 05 phone book

Hello and thanks for your reply! I see you are also searching for McDonald and Gorman - me too!

My McDonalds came from Scotland to England, but the Gormans hail from Dublin! My g/g/grandparents were Bernard Gorman and Elizabeth Murphy, who were married at St Andrew's Church, Dublin in February 1835. Their daughter, Margaret was my g/grandmother.

Best wishes,

Josie  :)

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for the recent replies, noland 01, do you have connections with the currans in the drumphea area, or even the nolans in the same area, my GGgrandmother as far as i know was a ann nolan, married to the martin curran mentioned above in the post about griffiths valuation.
drop us a line if you think you can help!
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
No afraid not i don't have any connection to the Currans
As for Nolan its a very common name in Carlow especially in the Myshall Drumphea area
For example from my house to the nearest village is about 1.5 miles and of the 25 or so houses on the road 15 or so are either Nolan's or Nolan's lived in them or owned the land previously and this would consist of at least six distinctly unrelated families
As regards the Currans in Drumphea ; yes i know him fairly well and could pass on your details sometime if you like
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 May 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again Noland1
there is always the off chance that you could have said yes, i am related! I know, Nolan is a really common name in those parts. but still it was worth asking.
As for the currans in Drumfea, I have spoken with frank and his sisters on a few occasions regarding our family coinnections, so it's not neccarsary to pass on my details.
Though i do have a question for you, as it sounds that you are from around there. Is there a crypt in Drumphea church? and if so is there anyone buried down there? also are there any old cemeteries in the local area that would predate drumphea? To me drumphea cemetery only seems to date back to early 1800's? and i can only trace mine back to the late 1700's, and that is just because of one grave in drumphea.
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
pete..we have a martin curran(known as murt)who was reportedly a v.good step dancer.
BTW are you the same peter i am in touch with by e-mail?lol
Was talking to an elderly relative this aft. and found out that my husbands gt g/father was Patrick Curran.
He also told me the story of a Lizzie Curran(whom I'd never heard tell of)...she managed a shop in Newtown,owned by a scotsman,Patrick Laylass(?)..they married,but Liazzie kept the Catholic Faith,and didnt change.
When Patrick died he was buried in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Fennagh.
Apparently everyone wondered where Lizzie would be buried,as she was still RC...she was buried next to her husband.
Joe Curran,the man I spoke to,was the son of Charles Curran,brother of my late father-in-law,John.
He was certain that Lizzie Curran was a relative,but I can't find her anywhere.
If anyone can tie her in with our family,it would be appreciated.

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again elaine
Yes, I am the same Peter as you have been emailing, i have many fishing rods out in all sorts of places regarding genealogy, and have been quite successful.
you say you husbands great grandfather was a patrick curran, here we may have a connection, my great grandfather Francis had a brother called Patrick, they family of siblings were very large in Knocklonagad, and moved out and around, frank moved up to Drumphea, as far as I know, Patrick was definitely having children around the time Michael was born, though i only know of two daughters, but that doesn't mean there is no more!
One direction that can be taken is to go to the NLI, in dublin and get parish records on microfiche for fennagh and myshall for around the late 1840's to mid 1850's when Michael Curran(your husbands grandfather) was born. if patrick originated around knocklonagad or drumphea, we have a connection, and i can pass on more information, it's up to you, but i will require as much info, right up to the present day of of what you know of patricks descendants.
looking forward to hearing from you.
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 20:41 BST (UK) »
hi,Peter,don't know if this is of use to you at all,but I was looking through graveyard inscriptions(this was after you kindly forwarded the grave pics to me..looking forward to the rest!)

they are inscriptions at Dunlecky Cemetery.Carlow:-

Erected by MICHAEL CURREN of Knocklonagad in memory of his father MICHAEL CURREN who departed this life the 14th Oct.1829 aged 69yrs.

In loving memory of my mother d.Dec.16th.1903(66)also father,brothers and sisters.Erected by daughter and sister,KATE CURRAN.

Elaine

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine
Thanks for that, yes i have seen the first grave, though it is a very old cemetery, the older michael that is referred to here is my Great great great grandfather. He moved down to knocklonagad from Boherduff and established a family farm down there. you probably saw this on rootsweb? A bunch of local schoolchildren from Bagenalstown went to dunleckney cemetery, which is a really antiquated place, and took inscriptions from all the stones that they could, it was certainly a task and a half, as i found it hard to read them myself. I saw the original copy in the presbytery in Bagenalstown, I was told it was never to leave the premises, and low and behold, there it was online later on!
You can see a picture of this grave, and the boherduff currans in newtown at this link(by the way i mentioned you in this link)This is my own genealogy blog:
http://genealogy-ireland.blogspot.com/
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
I got so excited when i read on your blog that you went to castledermot,co.kildare!

My husband is the youngest of 8 children + twins who died not long after birth.

Leo,his brother and the twins were born in Kilkea .,Castledermot!!....the rest of the family born Carlow.

The twins are buried in an old graveyard withing the walls of Kilkea Castle...we couldn't find the grave because it's unmarked.

When you visited Newtown graveyard,you would have seen a pub right across from the Church,called
Smyths__the family used to live above the pub.

I was in the graveyard in Castledermot a couple of weeks ago....my sister-in-law was buried the beg. Sept.

Also Leos' brother,John Joseph is buried there.

Did you see any Curran graves there?