Author Topic: Sweden: Charles GRAY  (Read 1175 times)

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sweden: Charles GRAY
« on: Friday 23 October 09 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Anyone out there have any info, connection to, or suggestions for finding history on Charles GRAY b c1835 Kalmar (?) Sweden.

He was a mariner/sailor, married in VIC, Australia 1868 to Sarah (Bridget) FLANAGAN b c1849 Miltown, County Clare, Ireland.

Children:
Daniel GRAY b 1871 d 1881 age 10 in shipwreck of 'Edward' off Ricketts Point, Port Phillip bay.  His father, Charles, was the captain of the ship.

Mary Cecelia GRAY b 1897 Sandridge, VIC. Married to Unknown ASHTON and died 1926 East Melbourne, VIC Australia.

Christina (Bridget) Mary GRAY (formerly HYNE) b1869 Sandridge (Port Melbourne), VIC Australia.  She married in 1898 Henry HEALEY b 1872 Bendigo VIC Australia.  They had 8 children, including my grandmother.

Sarah GRAY b1873 Sandridge, VIC, Australia d 1876 age 3.

Charles Edward GRAY b 1875 Sandridge d 1876 15mths Sandridge VIC Australia.

Fingers crossed,

Jen
Haworth Healey Berry Jukes Whitley Preece Vigers Gray Grey Ricketts Tanner Watterson Anderson Black

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden: Charles GRAY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 09 12:39 BST (UK) »
Do none of the records on Charles (marriage certificate, death certificate) give information about his parents' names?

I am wondering with a name like Gray, the occupation of mariner and the birthplace (Kalmar is on the shores of the Baltic sea), whether he was Swedish or the son of another mariner who was just passing through.

Or if he was originally Carl Grå, possibly? He might also be found (or hiding!) under a patronymic surname:
http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/Naming%20practice_eng.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden: Charles GRAY
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for helping!  And, thank you for the link!

Charles Gray's death certificate states he was from 'Colma' Sweden and 'Calmar' on his marriage cert.  The closest I could find was Kalmar, taking into account possible pronunciation.  A newspaper article here in Oz mentions him as Swedish (involved in a manslaughter trial).

Also according to his death certificate he came to Oz c1853, but as he died in the Convent of the Little Sisters of the Poor, I've no idea who the informant was or what they really knew about him.

His marriage certificate: Father - Carl John Gray - mariner
Mother - Christina WASTRON or WASTROM.

Sorry, that was important info I left out...

That's all I know of him before his marriage.

I'm aware that wives sometimes accompanied sailors on their voyages, and realise it could have been a 'port of call' birth.  But, my grandmother told me once that the family received a letter, years ago, about an inheritance of property in Sweden.  No one at that time had the funds to make the trip to see about it.  So, I'm assuming he or members of his family were there for at least long enough to buy property, which stayed in the family for a while...?

The mystery deepens, with the possibilties you've pointed out :-)

Jen
Haworth Healey Berry Jukes Whitley Preece Vigers Gray Grey Ricketts Tanner Watterson Anderson Black