Author Topic: Reasons for not finding birth record?  (Read 12229 times)

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reasons for not finding birth record?
« on: Friday 23 October 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
This is my first post to this community.  I am currently researching Albin's of Richhill and surrounding area, Co. Armagh.  The townlands I am dealing with primarily are Shewis and Rockmacreany.

My greatgrandfather was Robert Albin.  He married 2 different women named Jane Fullerton, one in 1904 and one in 1917.  I recently found Jane #1's death index at familysearch.org., she died in 1915. 

Both marriage records indicate that his fathers name was William.  I have tithe and Griffith's indicating at least 3 Williams in the above townlands starting from the early 1800's.  These records also indicate both 'Junior' and 'Senior' Williams spread across more than 2 generations.  I am most likely dealing with Robert's grandfather or great great uncle, his father, possibly an older brother and definitely cousins.  It has been very difficult to piece this family together.

Main issue I am grappling with right now is that I can't get my hands on a birth record for Robert so that I can find out his mothers name.  My estimate based on my grandfather's records and the 1911 census is that he was born around 1876 but I can't find a single result for a Robert in and around that year.  Not even a result with Robert as a middle name.  I'm on Emerald Ancestors, Armagh Ancestry, Ancestry etc, and nothing.  I am fairly certain that they did not leave the area briefly as they were farmers but what am I missing?  Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons for not finding birth record?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
There are several records in civil registration index for Robert Albins in Co Armagh- did your Robert have any middle names?

Regarding William jr. and William sr. found in earlier records- it was common practice to use such designations for men with same name in same townland or even area and the 'title' would have changed according to the circumstances and record. Thus, William Jr. in one record might be called Sr. in another record, etc. which can make researching a family quite complicated.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I am not certain that my ggrandfather had a middle name.  I know that his son, my grandfather who is also a Robert did not. 

I have used the Irish Family History Foundations search engine and looked from 1830 upwards for his birth record and cannot find it.  I have both of his marriage records already so perhaps that is what you have found.

I also used his father's name (William) as a part of the query around the right time and came up with 4 or so other births but not him.  It makes me wonder if maybe he went by his second name?  Can't find any around the right time with Robert as a second name though either.

I also used the Family History Centres search engine and while there were plenty of Albin's indexed around that time, not him.

Any advice would be great...

Offline stoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 11:26 GMT (UK) »
hi
all the albin family followed their uncle john albin to america.john is the most common name in the albin family .i was told it was easy for them all to go together as they were tenent farmers .with no land of their own to sell .   stoor

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Below are some grave inscriptions..hopefully they will help piece a few of the family together.

Parish:  Kilmore
Town/Townland:  Ballintaggart
County:  Armagh
Surname:  ALBIN
Inscription:  Kilmore Parish Kilmore Church of Ireland, Co Armagh ALBIN [Sandstone headstone] Erected by Robert Albin of Rockmacrean to record the spot wher[e]in? lie the remains of his father Robert Albin who died in 1848 aged 52 years, also Hugh Albin who died 3rd May 1878 aged 72 years and Thomas Albin who died 22nd 1885 aged 84 years
Other Information:  [Will of Thomas Albin late of Rockmacreany[?], County Armagh, sailor, who died 22nd February 1885 at same place, was proved at Armagh on 6 April [1885] by John Samuel Albin both of Rockmacreany, farmers the executors Effects £140.2s]. 

Parish:  Kilmore
Town/Townland:  Ballintaggart
Inscription:  This stone has been dutifully erected by John Albin of Rockmacreany to record the spot wherelie the remains of his beloved parents Jane and John Albin, Jane who died 21st Septr 1819 aged 54 years and John who died 25th Novr 1843 aged 84 years, also Mary Albin their daughter-in-law died 8th march 1891 aged 87 years, also John Samuel Albin who died 23rd July 1893 aged 64 years, also John Albin who died 4th October aged 96 years
Other Information:  [Slate slab headstone with iron surround] [Letters of administration of the personal estate of John Samuel Albin late of Rockmacreaney, County Armagh, farmer, who died 23 July 1893 at same place, were granted at Armagh on 5 September [1893] to Elizabeth Jane Albin of Rockmacreaney, the widow Effects £65].

Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Parish:  Mullavilly
Town/Townland:  Mullavilly
Surname:  GOUGH, ALBIN, OVEREND
Inscription:  Erected by Thomas Gough of Toneyvaltonn in memory of his son Henry, who died 18th June 1862 aged 17 years Also his daughter Jane Wright, who died 27th April 1863 aged 20 years Also his daughter Margaret, who died 26th July 1863 aged 14 years Also the above-named Thomas Gough, who died 13th March 1886 aged 79 years Also his wife Jane Gough, who died 20th April 1897 aged 82 years Also his son John Gough, who died 7th November 1917 aged 72 years
In loving memory of my dear mother Elizabeth Albin, died 3rd November 1846 Also my father Thomas Albin, died 16th January 1921 Also their children: Margaret E, died 17th February 1903; Silena A, died 12th November 1907; Minnie, died 17th May 1913; Emily F, died 3rd October 1914 Louisa Guthrie, died 5th May 1980 Her husband Thomas E, died 27th August 1978 Erected by their daughter Louisa
Erected by Thomas Henry Gough in memory of his mother Alica, died 1st January 1883 Also his father William, died 25th December 1917 Also his stepmother Margaret, died 7th March 1924 And the above Thomas Henry, died 21st April 1949 And his nephew John Edmund Overend, died 18th November 1974.

Parish:  Kilcluney
Town/Townland:  Clady More
Surname:  ALBIN, ALBAN
Inscription:  Erected by Mary Albin in memory of her beloved husband WIlliam Alban of Kilcamue, who departed this life 22nd May 1857 aged 67 years "For if we believed that Jesus died and rose again even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him" Mary Albin, relict of the late William Albin, died August 7th 1884 aged 80 years "For I know that my redeemer liveth and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth" Job 19, 25.

Parish:  Kildarton
Town/Townland:  Tirnascobe
Inscription:  Here lie the remains of Elizabeth Albin of Rockmacerney, who departed this life on the 13th of December 1843 aged 67 years Weep not for me my friends so dear, I am not dead but sleeping here

BOWEN-Tipperary

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Surname:  ALBIN, MORRISON
Inscription:  1 In memory of Annie Albin of Rockmecraney, born 1828, died 1888 Also her son William Edward, born 1866, died 1872 Also her husband William, born 1816, died 1892 And their daughter Elizabeth frances, died 2nd february 1913 2 Morrison In loving memory of our dear mother Violet, who died 27th August 1976 Also our dear father Malcolm, who died 9th January 1976 In heavenly love abiding
Other Information:  WILL: Albin, William Effects £261 15s 5 April The will of William Albin, late of Rockmacraney, Co Armagh, farmer, who died 5 February 1892 at same place was proved at Armagh by David Macartney of Ballybrackey, farmer, and Elizabeth F Albin of Rockmacraney, spinster, both said county, the Executors.

Surname:  FAIR, ALBIN
Inscription:  Here lie the remains of John Fair of Altaturk, who departed this life on the 4th of November 1843 aged 68 years Also William Albin, Rockmacreany 25th December 1917.

Parish:  Mullaghbrack
Town/Townland:  Mullaghbrack
Inscription:  In loving memory of Hugh Albin, late of Hamilton's Bawn, who died 8th Feby 1895, aged 47 years Also his children Anne Eliza, died 3rd May 1891, aged 10 years Interred in Sandymount Cemetery, Glasgow Sarah, died 9th Feb ye 1911, aged 20 years and his wife Anne Jane, died 20th May 1930 aged 77 years Also Eliza Jane, wife of his son William George, died 22nd Dec 1950 aged 87 years .
Other Information:  [Limestone headstone]

Unfortunately when I tried to send these via Pm and in one post there were too many characters  hence the multiple posting. Hope these are something new for you.

Hope they help put together a few of your tree's twigs :)
Aljepeka
BOWEN-Tipperary

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BOWEN-Tipperary

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   This is a slight side-track but I find the idea of two marriages to ladies of the same name not impossible but I would think it extremely rare.. I have sighted them both in Emerald ancestors but when I search for the 1904 marriage on Family Search Record Search pilot site I cannot find a record for Jane Fullerton in Co. Armagh and I cannot find a marriage at all for Robert Albin in that year.
   I have found a death for Jane Albin in 1915 but I wonder if she was Robert's wife.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim