Author Topic: Beeston Cemetery - COMPLETED  (Read 12345 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Beeston Cemetery - COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 01:17 BST (UK) »
My great uncle died at Beeston in 1924, however I don't know where he was buried. I assume it would be at Beeston Cemetery. I don't know how to go about finding out if he was buried there and where his grave would be. I can't find any website online with details about the cemetery, contact info, etc.

His name was Harry Hall, he died in 1924 age 27. His wife was Maggie Everitt and they had one son the year before he died.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Beeston Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
You could contact Nottinghamshire Archives who I am sure would do you a quick search of the burial register to find out.  Details can be found by searching google

Rob
Acorn Genealogy
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 09 16:11 BST (UK) »
So would the Beeston Cemetery records be at the Notts Archives? I know the church records (Beeston St. John) would be there but as far as I can tell it closed to new burials in 1888, and the new cemetery north of the town was opened in 1886.

I can't find anything about contacting the cemetery - not the church - just by searching google.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 09 20:34 BST (UK) »

Hi Alexander, have you tried Broxtowe Council as they are responsible for the cemetery.

http://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6054

Skewy.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
If it is a municipal cemetary they should have the records and if they are like my local one they will only be to happy to search the records for you

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexander

I know the records are not contained in the Nottingham Archives only the records for St. John the Baptist are held there from Beeston.  Because they are still performing burials at the cemetery the records cannot be passed to the archives and are held at Broxtowe Borough Council.

I am going to be travelling to Beeston cemetery this weekend to clean and place some flowers at a grave containing 4 relatives I discovered there a few weeks back, the sad thing about my family is that all these at Beeston I never knew about until starting to look at my family history.  Whilst I'm there and walking around to try and spot other relatives of mine, I will keep a look out for your relative as well and obviously if a memorial was placed there I will take a photo for you and post back on here if I'm successful or not in finding anything.

Mike
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 09 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the offer, Mike, it would be great to see if you can spot a memorial for Harry. He is the older brother my grandmother never knew. For most of my relatives I would say there is a very little chance a memorial was made, but Harry seems about the only one who was not a labourer - his son's baptism says that he was a footballer! Not sure for what team though.

As Skewy and Rob suggested, I will try the Broxtowe Council. I haven't got around to contacting them yet but I will try soon. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an email address ???

Thanks again,
Alexander

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 09 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Alexander

Its no problem for me to take a look for you, I may be going on Sunday as I'm running in a 15 mile cross country race on Saturday morning and might not feel quite like walking around a cemetery in the afternoon.  I have to check a strange thing I found when I last walked around which has puzzled me ever since.  A couple of relatives memorial vases I found within a grave of someone whose surname I didn't recognise made me now realise that they must of been related for them to be placed where they were.

The memorial I found in Beeston cemetery that I'm cleaning up is quite large and gave alot of information that was new to me, this shows to me that visiting these graveyards is another necessary part of family research you have to do as it sometimes gives info you wouldn't normally find out from records alone.

Regards
Mike
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I emailed the Broxtowe Council last night and by the time I got up this morning there was already a response in my inbox saying that they had located Harry and will post me the full information, including a map of the cemetery showing where he was buried. I know Rob said they would be happy to help but I never expected this.  :o

Mike, once I get the information I will post it here and would very much appreciate if you could check to see if there is a memorial there next weekend. Good luck on your run - all I can say is I'm glad I'm not doing it!  ;D

Alexander