Author Topic: Mary Ronan (c1855) and her father Patrick, Wexford  (Read 11149 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mary Ronan (c1855) and her father Patrick, Wexford
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
My GGM, Mary Ronan married James Carson on 1/11/1886 at Our Lady of Reconciliation, Eldan Street  Liverpool.  James is from Belfast.  Mary is shown as a widow and was previously married to John Bowland at St Albans RC Church, Liverpool on 2/12/1882.  John died just one year later in 1883.  Her father is recorded as Patrick, a Labourer and the 1886 certificate doesn't say that he is deceased.

In the 1911 E&W census Mary has stated that she is from 'Wexford'.  I can't find her in the 1881 census and wonder when she could have travelled over.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can trace further back?  It's quite frustrating as most of my ancesters arrived in Lancashire from Ireland, either Belfast, Mullingar or Wexford and I am struggling to work out how to get them further back.  Are there any passenger lists that might help?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ronan (c1855) and her father Patrick, Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Ireland was part of the U.K. so lists weren't kept of people travelling between Ireland and England, Scotland and Wales.
Civil registration for births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland started in 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages)- for earlier dates you'll need to search church records (if they exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, many thanks for that info.  I haven't managed to do any real research in Ireland yet.  What records survive that might be useful to me, either online or by visiting the various records offices?  Are there complete census and civil registration records available?

Really, really hope someone can help.

Kit (Edinburgh)
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Information on civil registration given above and those records are complete. Index is on LDS Pilot site (free) and with the details from index you can order certificates from GRO.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

First complete census for Ireland is 1901. 1911 (latest available) is online (free) and they will be adding 1901 shortly-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
For earlier years only small fragments from a few areas survive.

There are lots of links in WEXFORD RESOURCES & LINKS at the tp of this board and each of the other count boards also have Resources listed as well as a board called IRELAND RESOURCES-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,397599.0.html

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 09 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

I did try the LDS but can't find Mary and there are a few Patricks which I'll need to explore.  I'll need to check the resources page and see what comes up.

If there is anyone out there who have a possible connection with Ronans, I'd love to hear from you.

Kit

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
If Mary was married first in 1882 it's quite possible that she was born before the start of civil registration in 1864.
Searching for Mary's father Patrick might be difficult without more information (not being listed as deceased on her marriage certificate doesn't prove he was still alive).

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your advice.  From marriage certs and census she would appear to have been born around 1855.  Without anything else to go on I'll just have to work my way through all the Catholic churches in the Wexford area.  Wow, just think of all the wonderful holidays I could have in beautiful Wexford.  Could take me a lifetime (or my kids) but still worth the effort.  Kit

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 October 09 15:41 BST (UK) »
The problem with the 'all Catholic churches' in Wexford approach is that the records for the church her family belonged to there might not survive.
There's this link on Wexford Parish churches from Resources which gives you an idea of the number of churches in just that area-
http://wexfordparish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=49

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Aye, 'problem' it is.  I've already been onto the site you gave the link to and noted the information there but realistically, what can I do with only 'Wexford' as a lead?  This forum and other similar sites are a great resource and until more information becomes available, I'll have to consider getting out there and visiting.  Kit