Author Topic: Mary Ronan (c1855) and her father Patrick, Wexford  (Read 11073 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ronan (c1855) and her father Patrick, Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Irish researchis very, very difficult without an exact location (parish if not actual townland).
Have you traced Mary forward in English census records in case there's something other than 'Ireland' or 'Wexford' listed- 1911 English census seems to quite good at giving more detail.
See that Mary would have been in her 30s when she married- have you searched earlier U.K. census records in case other relatives also moved to England with  her?
I haven't searched English Catholic church registers but some people have mentioned there can be useful details in the records so that might be another source to explore.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
there are six Patrick Ronan's listed on Griffiths valuation ... maybe the locations for these would be starting points for your search.

see : http://www.rootschat.com/links/07ci/

the Co. Wexford records are dated 1853 - so Mary's father could be one of those listed. Do you know what Patrick's occupation was ?

the website to search Griffiths (free) is at : http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

p.s. I would second what aghadowey  mentioned re checking the 1911 census - sometimes there is very detailed birth locations given on this.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:10 BST (UK) »
Appreciate your help.  The 1911 census was the breakthrough with 'Wexford'.  Worth a look at parish records to see if there is anything else noted.  Many thanks. Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I'll check these out.  Patrick was a labourer.  Not much to go on there then! Nothing but labourers or chemical labourers in my line.  Not even anything as exotic as a teacher or clerk.  Ta, Kit

Afterthought - not quite true,  Mary's son James Joseph (Joe, my GF) who died before I was born, was awarded the DCM and MM in 1917 and was a trainer for the great St Helens rugby league football club.
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ronan family from Kilrush
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Today I have made a huge breakthrough with my Ronan family and I hope there are chatters out there who can put some meat around the bones (not a good analogy for a veggie) or may even have known the family members noted below (the younger ones obviously!!).

My GGM, Mary Ronan b circa 1855 moved to Liverpool and before she married my GGF James Carson in 1886, she married John Bo(w)land in 1882.  He died in late 1883.  Mary and James had at least 4 children (boys) the youngest being Myles.  I've been intrigued by this name as it isn't overly common.  As quite a lot of children were named after family members, I decided to check the Ronan's.  On checking the 1911 Ireland Census, lo and behold!  3 Myles Ronans.

The most interesting of these records was:
Parish: Kilrush, Barony: Scarawalsh, Townland: Ballyandrew
Myles (51), mother Ellen (74) brother Patrick (40) all born Co, Wexford.
Living with them is John Wood (31) nephew born England and Lucy Boland (27) niece born England.   Wow!! ;D

Not only that, but on the same schedule, in Ballyrock, is Matthew Ronan (48) wife Mary (40) and 8 children ages ranging from 16-3.

I hadn't even considered that Mary and John Boland could have had a child, as she isn't with the Carson family unit in the 1891/1901/1911 E&W census.  I identified a Lucy born around the right time in Liverpool and received the cert this morning.  She is the child of John and Mary and must have been born around the same time as John died.  :'(

Does anyone have any local knowledge of the Kilrush/Ballyandrew area or the Ronan family that they can share?  I wonder why Lucy would have been sent to live in Wexford and not stay with her mum.  Can anyone advise on a family church or where I may find earlier records?

I feel a visit coming on!

Kit

Offline mirann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 February 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit
 Just a general thought It seems in Wexford any way that it was common for children to be reared
by Grandparents or other family members My Gfather was born in Little Bolton Lancs but was reared in Wexford I also know of several other cases Whether it was economic family problems or what ever  It was very common and a young widow woman might have felt it was best
regards Ann

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 February 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

I think your right.  There appears to have been a stable family unit right there in Wexford to look after Lucy.  I wonder who John Wood's parents were?  Must have been a Ronan daughter like Mary who went to England.  Another puzzle.

Kit

Offline patrick ronan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 January 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
hi there my name is patrick ronan  my dad is patick ronan his brother myles or myle died in a car crash aged 24  your on the right tr5ack tombrack ferns  my dad is patrick 73 remembers alot of history my grandmother grandfathers history

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 January 12 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Patrick, and thanks for getting in touch.

We definitely have the same family.  Your dad's dad would have been Matthew who married Cis Burn?  His father was another Matthew (b, 1861) who married Mary Bermingham.  This Matthew was a younger sibling to my GGM, Mary (b. 1855).  She moved to Liverpool and then to St Helens in Lancashire and married James Carson from Belfast. 

It's lovely to hear from you.  If you make 2 more posts, we can chat via the personal message system.