Author Topic: Taylor and Tayleur  (Read 17781 times)

Offline Davirv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor and Tayleur
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 18:44 GMT (UK) »
What would you like to know about H Tayleur?  I think it is probably William Houlbroke Tayleur who was very wealthy.  He was my 4 x ggf.
How can I help?

Offline sarteur

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 January 12 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello - just joined this forum.  Firstly, Davirv - I am a Tayleur, as is my elder brother, was my sister, are my sons, is my niece.  So there are still Tayleurs around - we are from the Shropshire not the Devon (a later offshoot) side.  After Buntingsdale Hall was sold (1922?) my Grandfather (Henry) lived in Martley, Worcs until his death in 1958.  My father lived in London, then retired to Alderney in the Channel Islands.  He was the author of the Penguin Book of Home Brewing and Winemaking (if you put Tayleur into google you will find that and the RMS Tayleur as the most common results).  Certainly Little Drayton School, as well as many other community projects (local hospital, Luittle Drayton Church etc etc) were supported by the family from the 18th century, when they moved to Buntingsdale.  You should also note that pretty well all male Tayleurs were John or William (those are my brother and my names; and both my son, the elder using John, the younger also called William - my father was William Henry Treby ( from Ouarry Treby, an 18/19th C acestor); I am William Henry Brian.  These things go in families.  My Bro still has family portraits of Tayleurs by Lely, Kneller and others dating back to the 17th C.

That's probably enough for now (apart from saying the Tayleur Arms in Longdon has changed its history to reflect the RMS Tayleur rather than the local family - and Charles left Shropshire for Liverpool and the creation of the Vulcan Foundry with Stephenson after the pub started...)

Do contact me if you want more info - from a definite Tayleur

Offline DeadVicarsInc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 March 17 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, I feel a bit of an imposter amongst you Tayleurs.  ::)

I was wondering if someone would mind lending me a helping hand to understand the links between the Tayleurs and the Pigots of Hodnet.

I'm aware of links to the Tayleurs mainly through the existence of Rev John Tayleur Pigot (1821-1912) who was the 4th son of Thomas Pigot (1778-1840). It is actually his two brothers, Edward (1819-1905) and Henry Septimus Pigot (1826-1901), who I'm interested in, as they both served as clergy in Bolton.

I'm exploring some of the 'clergy dynasties' of the 19th century that have direct links to Bolton (my much loved home town and a source of endless fascination).

I'm struggling to research the Pigots. Census search hits are limited, IGI non-existent, and seemingly next-to-no internet interest in them. (Wow, I can pick 'em!) So—please, please, please—any assistance to move forward on the Tayleur link would be absolutely brilliant. Help!!  :'(

Offline AngelaSC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 April 23 19:54 BST (UK) »
I have come across the Taylor /Tayleur postings spanning around 2009 - 2012 and am wondering if anyone is still active on here who has information about the Tayleurs of Meeson Hall and Roddington (North Shropshire)? I am descended from the second Creswell Tayleur (1647-1710) and his wife Abigail (and obviously also descended from his predecessors!), via his daughter Jane Tayleur (my 7xgreat grandmother). I have done a fair bit of research myself (and in fact have been staying in one of the cottages at Meeson Hall this week!) but would love to hear from any other descendants and see if we can usefully exchange any information.

Offline CheritonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi AngelaSC

Like you I am sorry to have missed the posters of earlier messages especially SH, since I'm interested in (hopefully) following her 'Richard' line down to William Taylor who married Margaret Newell at Edgmond in 1683. I'm reasonably sure my family traces back to this William although the most recent jump is of the 'most-likely' variety.

Basically I'm trying to verify the information given in the Shropshire Visitation about the Taylors of Longdon-on-Tern  and also the Taylor tree provided by 19th C genealogist Joseph Morris. I've recently started to look more closely at all the 1600's Taylors in the Bolas/Tibberton/Edgmond region using parish registers and wills to see if I could link them together but some has not survived for the early period (that i can find so far).

So unfortunately I can't help you directly with the allied Cresswell Tayleur line but let me know if you have any thoughts.

According to Joseph Morris, the above mentioned Richard was born approx 1530 in Longdon, died in Cherrington/Great Bolas, being the eldest sibling of the John Taylor who married Margaret Cresswell. There were 2 more generations of Richards until the last one sired the William above.

SHROPSHIRE: Taylor, Masefield, Pratchett, Poyner, Yates, Cherrington, Lees
WILTS: Berry, Page
DEVON: Hewish, Wright
STAFFS: Moore