Author Topic: Taylor and Tayleur  (Read 17773 times)

Offline ValsGranddaughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor and Tayleur
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Susan, you are a miracle - and it's not complicated to me, having the long line of Creswells down to our very own Creswell Pigot, grandson of Creswell Tayleur and Phillis Walker - Phew! This Cressy Pig was the brother of my 4xgreat grandpa John Pigot who went off to Jamaica to start a plantation, but it seemed to fail and he saw out his days there as a customs official. I do need to sort out the first couple of Creswells though - like you say.  When there are only registers it is difficult to see which Cressy has the honour of being the father of the one who married Martha - who is again definitely mine.  I didn't know she was Wilding either, so you've given me a grandma's name!  We can carry on by e-mail, and perhaps we can update this thread for others as we sort out your Richard, and any other Tayleur/Taylors who may come on board  :)

Thanks so much Susan...I'm getting quite excited by the thought of a few more pieces fitting together in my Tayleur jigsaw.
Just the most local ones!  See my Site for more names:

STOKES - Gorton, Cheadle (Ches) and Stockport
HAYES - Manchester, Salford
HOLLAND - Manchester, Salford, Davenham (Ches)
SIDDALL - Manchester, Cheadle, Northenden
TURNER - Denton, Dukinfield (Ches)
VALENTINE - Kearsley, Farnworth

Offline Aotearoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 June 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details of yet another Cresswell Tayleur, born 26 Dec 1814 and baptised on 22 Jan 1815 at St. Alkmund, Shrewsbury, Shropshire [IGI based on parish records], who ended up marrying one of the siblings of my great-grandfather on a date unknown. His wife was Lucy Maria Stowell (1843-1891), daughter of Canon Hugh Stowell, who was based in Salford, Manchester. This Cresswell died before his wife, and there is a GRO entry for Dec quarter 1867 in Birmingham which could be his. I would like to find out when and where they married, where they lived, and whether they had any children before he popped his clogs. He was possibly a solicitor. Lucy Maria died at Dulwich. Any info which you have would be most welcome.
John

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 21:55 BST (UK) »
You were probably as surprised as I was to see how many Creswell Tayleurs are actually listed on the IGI records.  I imagined that with a name like that there would be very few, and I still can't believe that they aren't all related in some way.  :-\

I haven't researched them in detail and hopefully "ValsGranddaughter" can tell you more than me.  I was investigating the Tayleur family for property connections rather than the family tree per se.  ValsGranddaughter is a direct descendant of the Cresswell Tayleurs mentioned in the earlier postings, whilst I am descended from the first Cresswell Tayleur's Uncle Richard.  I also know that the spelling between Taylor and Tayleur can be interchangeable.

I also suspect the first Creswell Tayleur's daughter, Margaret Tayleur, married a John Taylor as shown on the Cheshire Visitation.  I suppose they could have had descendants named Creswell Taylor, but I ahven;t explored this family at all.

I have checked my family trees and cannot see any obvious connection to either the St Chad's or the St Alkmund's Cresswell Tayleurs. (By this I mean that I cannot see any obvious male sibling lines on my charts that haven't been followed right through and there is no mention of these Creswells.)  I have also taken a quick look at the IGI postings and have made some comments below.     You are welcome to send me an IM and I can give you more information about the ones I know about, but as a starting point I think your best bet is to explore the ones that I don't know anything about.

Taking the IGI records for "Creswell Tayleur" in turn, the ones I don't know about are as follows:

Birth about 1614, son of John Tayleur and Margaret Creswell - I know about John and Margaret and therefore I think this record is eroneous.  Margaret Creswell died in 1601; I have a copy of her will.

Birth/christening 19 Sept 1677, London to Isaac and Elizabeth.  Whilst it seems unlikely that a London family is linked to Shrewsbury, you should be aware that one of my Shropshire Cresswell Tayleurs married his wife in Westminster Abbey.  The Bolas Magna Tayleur's were reasonably wealthy - Barristers and Clerics in the main, but also marrying into well known Shropshire families.  It is possible therefore that if your Creswell Tayleur is related to ours, albeit a long way back, he too may have come from a wealthy family.

Similarly I know nothing about the christening 30 Aug 1693 at St James Clerkenwell son of Isaac & Elizabeth - did their first son named Creswell born 1677 die young?

Christening 02 June 1693 at Upton Magna, son of Thomas and Ann - this location fits best with a potential Shrewsbury family.

Birth 26 Feb 1707 in London to Thomas and Cecilia - same comments as above

Birth 1711 of Bowles Magna - this is another eroneous entry - I think the correct baptism date is 1721.

Marriage 15 Oct 1769, Marylebone, to Sophia Brill

Christening 26 Dec 1779, St Chad's Shrewsbury to Creswell and Elizabeth - see below

Christening 22 Jan 1815, St Alkmund, Shrewsbury to Creswell and ELizabeth.  Based on dates, I don't think this could be a second (repalcement) son for the previous entry. Were there two generations of Creswell and Elizabeths?

Marriage 17 June 1788, Frodesley to Ann Lawley - again this location fits reasonably with Shrewsbury.

Christening 9 Oct 1838, Toxteth Park, son of William Holbrook Tayleur and Emma Elizabeth.

Christening 25 July 1844, Surrey, son of William Holbrook Tayleur and Emma ELizabeth - at first I thought this may be a replacement son, but then the dates don't fit with the 1881 census which indicates the 1838 date is more likely to be correct.  ???

Marriage 26 Aug 1839, Birmingham to Sarah Wilkinson - could this be the Creswell who you found a burial record for in Birmingham?

I am sorry I can't be more helpful
Davies, Juckes, Taylor, Anslow, Turner: Shropshire
Hobson: Yorkshire & Norfolk
Rudd, Muskett: Norfolk
Wilkinson: Leeds & Cumberland
Fletcher, Mandal(e), Kirkhaugh, Sedgwick: Cumberland
Hundleby: Lincolnshire

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hello John

You may have seen this website already:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/macaulay/messages/1675.html
Towards the bottom of the list of names you will see it shows Lucy Stowell married to Cresswell J Tayleur, which appears to be the Lancashire born Cresswell (presumably born circa 1838 - please see earlier comments).  This birth date for Cresswell fits better with your Lucy Maria Stowell (1843-1891).  Please see what you think.

Offline Aotearoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 July 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
A bit more work has sorted things out somewhat. This is what I have found, though it remains to be edited...so my Cresswell John Tayleur was born in Liverpool, not Shropshire.

In 1861 Cresswell John Tayleur, aged 24, unmarried and an articled clerk,  is a visitor at the house of Chas. Blaney Trevor Roper in Plas Teg Mansion, Wrexham and Mold Road, Hope, Denbeighshire, Wales. In 1871 he is at Newton Abbott, Devonshire, aged 33 (so born 1837/38) and a solicitor, born in Liverpool. Also present are his wife Lucy M., aged 27, and her sister Emily M. Stowell, unmarried, aged 22. There are two servants, but no sign of any children [1871 England census, RG10, piece 2089, folio 76, p.13]. In 1881 he is at Leighamslot(?) Rd., Streatham, London, aged 43 and Lucy aged 37, with just one servant [1881 England census, RG11, piece 667, folio 129, p.6]. So he must have married between 1861 and 1871. There is a Creswell Jno. Tayleur, son of Wm Houlbrook Tayleur and Emma Elizabeth, who was born on 04 Apr 1838 and baptised on 09 Oct 1838 at the English Presbyterian Church, Toxteth Park, Liverpool [IGI based on church records 1778-1837, microfilm of original records at the PRO, London, film 560887, item 4].  The marriage of Cresswell John Tayleur and Lucy Maria Stowell was registered in 1869 [GRO marriage index, Jun quarter 1869, Barton, vol.8c, p.577].

A William Houlbrooke Tayleur married Emma Heathcote on 07 May 1835 at the parish church of Stoke on Trent [IGI based on parish records, film 435056].

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 July 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello John

I am pleased that you seem to be making progress.

I found this website reference as well which may help you
http://www.archive.org/stream/rugbyschoolregi01schogoog/rugbyschoolregi01schogoog_djvu.txt

The Cresswell entry is difficult to spot but it if your drag the cursor down about 1.5cm from the top and look for the "Entrants in August 1851" you will see the following entry:

"Tayleur Cresswell John, son of William Houlbrooke Tayleur, Esq. Oaklands, Torquay, aged 13, April 3 School"

Good luck

Offline wtayleur

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 July 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm a Tayleur and may be able to help - don't think there was any link with Taylors, but willing to be proved wrong.  Those victorian aunts did family trees going back a long way, and with as many (spurious, probably) royal connections as possible but Galfred le Taylur in Rodington seems to be the earliest probable Tayleur descendant.

The Liverpool ones were started by Charles, who went into partnership with Stephenson and founded the Vulcan Foundry, ultimately English Electric then GEC.  Other Tayleurs ventured down to Devon in the early 1800's.  The Shropshire Tayleurs sold Buntingsdale in about 1921; my grandfather, Henry, was executor - there were deaths in the Great War which my father told me attracted double death duties. Buntingsdale and  Tern Hall were RAF for many years and from the 20s to the 70s.

Anybody who is a Tayleur is related, I assume.

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 July 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hello wtayleur - it's good to hear from you.   I suspect the spelling of Taylor and Tayleur was open to the interpretation of the scribe particularly when we are tracing lines back to small country villages in the 1500s.

I note you say that the Liverpool Tayleur's started with Charles.  Presumably this is Charles Tayleur born 28.12.1774, son of Willliam Tayleur and Martha Bowen.  I believe he married Jane, daughter of John Hill of Liverpool.  I see from my charts that this Charles had children called: William, John, Charles, Henry, Edward, Mary and Jane.  Was one of these male Tayleur's the father of the William Houlbrook Tayleur that John mentioned ? (I haven't researched any further down this line since it isn't my direct line.) :-\

I see this Charles died in Torquay in 1854, which fits perfectly with the address listed in the Rugby School records.  Is this the link that John is looking for? :)

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 July 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
John

I think we have found the connection you need but it will need checking out properly since it is only as reliable as the personal entries on the IGI, which shows William Houlbrook Tayleur born 4 Jan 1803 and baptised 11 Jan 1811 in Liverpool, son of Charles Tayleur and Jane Hill.

Assuming the IGI is correct, I can help you with earlier information if you want to IM me but you are porbably much more closely related to wtayleur.

Good Luck!