Author Topic: Taylor and Tayleur  (Read 17778 times)

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Taylor and Tayleur
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
The Tayleur/Taylor family lived in Shropshire in places such as Cherrington, Bolas, Edgmond, Longford and Crudgington.  I am interested in knowing more about this family particularly about Richard Taylor of Cheswell & Leasowes.
Davies, Juckes, Taylor, Anslow, Turner: Shropshire
Hobson: Yorkshire & Norfolk
Rudd, Muskett: Norfolk
Wilkinson: Leeds & Cumberland
Fletcher, Mandal(e), Kirkhaugh, Sedgwick: Cumberland
Hundleby: Lincolnshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor and Tayleur
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

What years are involved here?

What info do you already have - census - BMD etc etc so we don't duplicate what you already know

With a surname like Taylor you would need to give a lot more info - particularly christian names - and also tell us exactly what additional info you are looking for
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 09 00:31 BST (UK) »
Richard Taylor was born 1771 and died 1843 - I have a copy of his will and a very detailed family tree for the Taylor and Tayleur families dating from about 1550.  I am descended through the Taylor family.  The Tayleur line lived for many years at Buntingsdale Hall near Market Drayton.  It's difficult to know where to start in terms of the information I have but if anybody is related in the Shropshire Taylors and recognises the place names I have mentioned I would be very interested to hear from them.  I'll post some more information shortly because I would like to trace more information about their farms and other property.

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I think every Shropshire town and village had at least one family of Taylors!

Peter Taylor

(From the Benthall / Broseley Taylors)
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
You are right, Peter, it's nealy as bad as tracing my Davies family!  The good news is that the family didn't seem to be very adventurous and stayed in the same villages for many generations.

I have reason to believe that my Taylors were connected to Geoffrey le Taylur of Rodington in about 1250 but some of that trail is supposition.  I have been looking at some of the old records and love the fact that he was also known as Geoffrey le Cissor  :).

I would love to find some other descendants of my Taylor family.  They had such large families and yet the names do eventually die out.  At the moment I can't even trace any living descendants through the female line other than my direct family.  :(

Susan

Offline ValsGranddaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am directly descended from the Tayleurs of Longdon-upon-Tern and Roddington through Creswell Tayleur (9th great grandpa), father of the first John of Roddington.   Cressy's son (another Creswell) moved into Great Bolas in the mid-1600s.  However, as far as I can gather, there is no connection between Tayleurs and Taylors as descendants of the same family. (I've also been informed that Tayleur is even pronounced differently in Shropshire - more like 'ta-lew-er' - but how true this is, I don't know  :))

The Tayleurs traced down so far have all kept the odd spelling, but it may well be that others have slipped the net and adopted the more normal spelling.  The Tayleurs married into my Pigots (also from Salop) and one of our last bearers of the Tayleur name was the Rev John Tayleur Pigot of Fremington in Devon who died aged 91 in 1912.  Tayleur kept cropping up as a middle name in a few branches of my family - but as I say, it was always spelled 'funny'  :)

If I can help in any way, please let me know.
Just the most local ones!  See my Site for more names:

STOKES - Gorton, Cheadle (Ches) and Stockport
HAYES - Manchester, Salford
HOLLAND - Manchester, Salford, Davenham (Ches)
SIDDALL - Manchester, Cheadle, Northenden
TURNER - Denton, Dukinfield (Ches)
VALENTINE - Kearsley, Farnworth

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 06:16 GMT (UK) »
This is most interesting and I am delighted to hear from you - thank you. ;D

I have taken a look at my family tree and I can see "the first John of Roddington" and his father, Cresswell Tayleur on it.  I believe that Cresswell's father was John Tayleur of Longdon & Great Bolas and that he married a Margaret Cresswall.  I also have a reference that there is a will dated 1601; I don't have a copy of the will but I can trace my references back to it if you are interested.

I believe that it was this John Tayleur that appears on the Visitation to Shropshire 1623 as the son of another John Tayleur, who married Ann, the daughter of David Jenks.  Interestingly I think Jenks is a variant of Juckes, another family that I am interested in. (Do you know more?)  John and Ann had four sons and two daughters.  The eldest son Richard Tayleur is, I believe, my 8x great-grandfather.

Presumably you have the information about Geoffrey Le Tayleur and Agatha already since you mention Roddington and Longdon.  If not, please ask.

Richard Tayleur is described as "Gent of Cherrington" and I believe it was Cherrington Manor (purportedly the House That Jack Built) that was then passed down through the generations of Taylor.  I don't know if they owned it or if they were tenant farmers.  I am interested in knowing more about this house, which then seems to have passed into the Juckes family in the 1800s.

My Taylor family bought various land and property from your Tayleur family (the "first John of Roddington" had a younger brother called Cresswell Tayleur and the land came from this line of your family) in the 1800s and it is this land that I am currently interested in learning more about.  I have various property deeds but would like to find more.

Oh yes, the pronounciation of Tayleur is indeed "Tay-lew-er" in Shropshire! :)

Susan

Offline ValsGranddaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan - this is indeed wonderful, and I'm sure we can help each other if we work together here.

You mention a will in 1601?  Now then, although I have recently seen published info on the pedigree of the Tayleurs, I had been going along collecting my own documents on them and I have arrived at the man I believe to be my 10th great grandfather, John Tayleur (as you say, Creswell's father) whose will I have but it is 1639, not 1601.  I am sure this is the right man because he is a gent of Longdon and Meeson and Creswell is named as his son and heir in the will.  At the time John drew up the will (1638) Creswell is young and only had two daughters, so John  Tayleur of Roddington (who seems to marry Laetitia Skrymshire) is probably either still in the womb, or a twinkle in Cressy's eye  :) 

And yes, Cressy the first (if we can call him that?) does have a son Cressy, my 8th great grandad!  From there on in they are found in the Great Bolas registers.  John his brother dips into Bolas to have his first child baptised, so you're right that there is a connection between the two places.  Cressy the first may have married Anne Steventon, and then later a widow, Jane Endley, but I have yet to confirm the Steventon, as it is on the IGI index and I haven't double-checked yet.  The second Creswell (8th great grandad) marries a Susannah Holland firstly, but she dies and he goes on to marry an Abigail, whose surname I have yet to discover.  He appears in the registers of Great Bolas, and the vicar makes a great fuss every time a child of his is baptised, calling him 'my generous patron Mr. Creswell Tayleur' etc.  The vicar even lists the time of day he died!

If you want to PM me with your e-mail address - mine is (*) - we can get together on this.  I am certainly interested in the Margaret Cresswell lady, because this would account for Cressy's odd name!  I certainly wouldn't mind helping you to sort out your Richard  :)  And there also seems to be 'an extra' Creswell whom I can't account for, who is in the Shrewsbury area concurrent with my lot, so we could get our heads together here.

I look forward to hearing from you, Susan  :) 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Just the most local ones!  See my Site for more names:

STOKES - Gorton, Cheadle (Ches) and Stockport
HAYES - Manchester, Salford
HOLLAND - Manchester, Salford, Davenham (Ches)
SIDDALL - Manchester, Cheadle, Northenden
TURNER - Denton, Dukinfield (Ches)
VALENTINE - Kearsley, Farnworth

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Good to hear from you again - I will certainly send a PM and will forward copies of any of the documents you are interested in.   I thought I should also respond to some of the things here to maintain the thread for anybody else "listening in".

I need to go back to my files re the 1601 will to check the date but it may be that this is the will of Margaret Tayleur (nee Creswell or Creswall) not John.  I have a note that John Tayleur her husband died about 1638 and this would fit with your information that he left a will dated 1639 and therefore I too am sure that you have the right John.

I have six generations of Creswell Tayleurs!  John's second son, the first Creswell Tayleur, and heir (there was an elder son called John who died young) was born in 1601 and died 1670.  Did Margaret die in childbirth perhaps?

The Creswell Tayleur that you describe as young and only having two daughters was John's second grandson who was born 1647 (at Meeson Hall) and died 1710.  [Meeson Hall is a located just outside Great Bolas.]  John Tayleur's elder grandson, also called John Tayleur (of Roddington) married Letitia Skrymshire - I have that he was born 1639 (at Longdon) and died 1704.

I think it was the first Creswell (b 1601) who married Anne Steventon, and I think it was the second Creswell (b 1639) who married Jane Endley.  I think his second wife was Susannah Holland and his third wife was Abigail - like you I don't know what Abigail's surname was yet.  I love your comment that the vicar appears to have made a great fuss of Creswell Tayleur, the family would have been a very important one, particularly in Great Bolas village society and the Tayleur family probably owned the patronage of the church!

Creswell and Abigail had lots of children including Creswell, John and William.  I know nothing much about John and William apart from their baptism record.  Creswell (the 3rd) was born 1688, died 1758 and he married Martha Wilding, they in turn had a son called Creswell Tayleur and so on.  The last Creswell Tayleur died unmarried in 1819 and it was at this time that the estate was first divided between his four sisters and then sold onwards.

It's all very complicated....!  :-\  I'll send you some papers and we can swap notes.

Susan