Author Topic: Victorian family portrait c1900 - great and great-great grandad!  (Read 7754 times)

Offline flamingo66

• RootsChat Extra
  • great-grandmother Catherine Collins, 1903-1968
    • View Profile
Victorian family portrait c1900 - great and great-great grandad!
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Here is a photo I've been sent of my great-grandad George (the little boy at the back), his sisters - my great-aunts, and my great-great-grandad (also George), a strict Scottish Temperance man with a fantastic moustache! The lady on the photo is his second wife (he moved the family to Manchester and married her in June 1901 - his first wife died in 1899, literally just after giving birth to Mary, their youngest daughter on the right). Looking at how old Mary is, I shouldn't think she is much older than two years old, so the photo must have been taken around 1901, maybe not long after the second wedding? Could anyone confirm this please?

I love it - its the oldest family photo we have. Any sharpening / improvements would be much appreciated! It was emailed to me from a scan, so I hope the resolution is good enough!!  :)

Many thanks

Katie

Collins and Leggat families of Ancoats, Manchester

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian family portrait c1900 - great and great-great grandad!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
Great picture!  I think the little girl on the right is about 4 or 5.  Just a guess  :)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Belgium/East London.
Burton, East London.
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 09 06:57 GMT (UK) »
I think so too, and looking at the lady's hairstyle 1905 would be a resonable guess for a date. Lovely photo. See how the girls' white dresses are kind of washed out...babies and very young children are often dressed in white for a photo and this causes a bit of local overexposure in an old photo...I forget what Prue calls it, baby blur or something :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 09 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katie

Sadly the pic was only 72dpi and secondly, someone has tried to clean it by running it through a filter which if you look at the original has resulted in a lot of the detail being flattened and definition being lost (which is why I hate those blasted filter packages  >:( ).  Having said that, it hasn't scrubbed up too badly.

Cheers
Caroline
PLEASE NOTE THE FRAMES THAT I USE ARE MY OWN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND STYLE.  I WOULD APPRECIATE IF PEOPLE WOULD REFRAIN FROM IMITATING THEM AND/OR BORROWING THEM WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  THANK YOU!

NO MAN WAS EVER GREAT BY IMITATION - SAMUEL JOHNSON

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset;

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
<]

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
    • cliffordclan
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with China's date,the baby looks about 4/5 & the girl at the back has one of those curious pigeon-breast blouses,a feature of the early decade.
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 09 21:35 GMT (UK) »
My try

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk