Author Topic: Derrynoose-Morgan/Lennon early 1800s  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Kerrynt

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandmother Alice Morgan nee Kelly
    • View Profile
Derrynoose-Morgan/Lennon early 1800s
« on: Sunday 25 October 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
After years of only knowing my gg grandfather, John Morgan, came to Australia from West Armagh I have just found his church baptism on the Armagh ancestry site.  His Roman Catholic birth/baptism was 30/6/1829 at Derrynoose.  Father Alexander Morgan, mother Ann Lennon.
Informant/Sponsors were James Lennon and Mary Morgan.
It doesn't give the name of the actual Church though.
Next to mother's surname are the words "not recorded"  What would this mean?

John migrated to Victoria, Australia in 1857.  Until now I hadn't found any siblings for John but Victorian records does show a possible sister.  A Margaret Gaffney (nee Morgan) death entry in Vic has her parents also Alexander Morgan and Ann Lennon but I don't yet know where Margaret was born to confirm this.

I found an Alexander Morgan in the Griffiths Valuations at Rowan, Derrynoose.  He was leasing "House, office and land" from an Andrew J Crawford.  There are several other Morgans listed also.  Would they necessarily be related?

Could anyone lead me in the right direction to finding out more about my Morgan and Lennon ancestors?  I've tried to find sites about RC churches in Derrynoose in those years but not having much luck. 
Is it true that IGI don't have many RC records?

I would also love to find any other descendants as myself and my Dad's cousin are the only family members that I know of who are researching this lot.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Kerryn (Australia)
Surnames are listed in my blog - ancestorchaser.blogspot.com.au

Offline Lostlizzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Derrynoose-Morgan/Lennon early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 09 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kerrynt, As far as I am aware that is ony the once RC church in Derrynoose.    I think there are two RC churches in Keady which is nearby.  Lostlizzie
Ulster: Sullivan, McMurtry, Campbell, McCullough, Majury,McAnally, Evans, Irvine

Offline mmitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 00:29 BST (UK) »
Kerryn:
I think we have a connection!  My great grandmother was Catherine Morgan born 1872, her parents were Michael "Mick"Morgan born 1847 and Nancy Ann Woods.  Michael Morgan's parents were Miles Morgan and Ann Lennon and they were married in 1829.  I found Miles Morgan in the land records and he lived in Roghan which is in Derrynoose.  The folks from Keady explained this is like living in the countryside.  I can tell you that Alexander Morgan was most likely Miles brother.  The had a third brother named Art who also married a Mary Lennon.  I guess the Morgans and Lennons must have lived close to eachother.  ;D  I have all the Morgan records from the church and can forward the email I got from them if you would like.  I have not been able to figure out how to PM an email address, but if we can figure it out I have what you are looking for. 
Sincerely,
MM (A long lost cousin)

Offline Kerrynt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 00:39 BST (UK) »
I sent you a pm with my email address MM  :D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
New members usually need 2/3 posts to use PM system so it's possible MM might not get your PM or be able to respond.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kerrynt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
thanks I didn't know that.  It works now though  :D

Offline Caroline28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Miles Morgan and Ann Lennon were my great great great grandparents.

Another long lost cousin!

Offline mmitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 September 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline:
Actually a lot has happened since this post, The Morgan clan is very large and my 2x great grandmother who always used the first name Catherine ended up being Mary Catherine Morgan. Her parents were Michael Morgan and Anne Branigan. Michael Morgan appears to be the son of Terrence Morgan and Kitty Keenan from Derrynoose. Confusing I know, but I also know you have reached out to Kerryn who emailed me today. When you email her back she will get you the Morgan baptism list I got from the parish and you can start seeing just how big this clan is. I will tell Kerryn to give you my email address also really interested to see you line back to Miles Morgan. I emailed about 5 years ago with two descendants of Miles Morgan and I am wondering if they are part of you family.
Sincerely,
Mike

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 February 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Elizabeth Morgan - She was born in Derrynoose to Michael Morgan and Catherine ?

I'm wondering if there is a connection here?

P
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON