Author Topic: Swindon (Highworth) Workhouse  (Read 7887 times)

Offline haddockinthekitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Swindon (Highworth) Workhouse
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hello - I am researching my maternal grandmother Ida May Wall, and Sarah Ellen Wall could possibly be her mother.
Ida May was born in the workhouse, so it sounds like we are talking about the same person.
I have very sketchy information, as I am only just starting out on my search.
I have conflicting information saying that Sarah Ellen was from either Bristol (Clifton) or Waterford (Ireland) - I think the latter to be true.

My grandmother, Ida said she was born as a pauper, and I have indeed found her listed in the Highworth Workhouse in Swindon, but have yet to find Sarah Ellen listed there, or any of the other children.
I intend to try and visit the Swindon Archive later this year, but if anyone reading this thread has any more information on either Sarah or Ida May, then I would be very grateful
Thanks in advance!
Walls of Kenn. Flamank of Boscarne, Courtenay, Aurelius.

Offline dhj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 August 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sarah Ellen Wall was my great-grandmother. I don't know much about Ida other than she married Ralph Morkot. Any info you have on her would be most appreciated, in return I have a mountain of info regarding Sarah's ancestors.  Mary Lilian Wall my grandmother, was Idas (half?) sister.

Offline haddockinthekitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi -thanks for such a quick reply.
Sarah Ellen was the mother of both your and my grandmother   - I will check if I have Mary Lilian in my tree yet.
I don't have much yet, as I only started this a few weeks ago, but yes, Ida was married to Ralph Morkot, and they had 7 children, and my mother Dorothy was one of them.
I am using Ancestry.com so my trees are on there.
Do you use that site, or any other?
I honestly thought that Ida (my grandma) was an only child, and was born into the workhouse and then adopted (maybe by the STROUD family?) and she had the idea that her mother was Irish (Sarah Ellen) but this doesn't seem to be adding up so far.
Anything you have would be great, as from reading this and other info I have had via messages on Ancestry, mentioning Sarah's other children, also born in the workhouse.
Please do stay in touch
Walls of Kenn. Flamank of Boscarne, Courtenay, Aurelius.