Author Topic: Northumberland, Gateshead census look-up request, McKay's from Dalkeith  (Read 2197 times)

Offline paul_niab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northumberland, Gateshead census look-up request, McKay's from Dalkeith
« on: Wednesday 09 March 05 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello, if anyone has the time to look-up the following family for me in either of the 1851 or 1861 census returns I'd be very grateful:

My 3xgreat grandparents, John and Elizabeth McKay were married at Dalkeith in 1842. My great-great grandmother, Catherine McKay, was christened at Dalkeith in 1843.
The family were no longer at Dalkieth by the 1851 census. Catherine is in the 1881 census, married as Catherine Moody, at Gateshead. I'm trying to date the families migration south, so if they can be found in census for the area in 1851 or 1861, that would very helpful.

Thankyou for looking, best regards, Paul

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland, Gateshead census look-up request, McKay's from Dalkeith
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

William MOODY married Catherine McKAY 1867 Newcastle Register Office. Search Newcastle births and marriages here and order certificates from here:

http://www*ndfhs*fsnet*co*uk/RegIndex.html

1871 Census entry for William and Catherine

RG10/5080  Folio 6  Page 6  Sch 31
26 Water Street, Elswick
MOODY
William Head Mar 29 Fitter Northumberland Hexham
Catherine Wife Mar 27 Scotland Edinburgh
Mary E Dau Unm 3 Newcastle on Tyne
Frances Dau Unm 1 Newcastle on Tyne

There is no 1871 Census index entry for John McKay.

There is an entry for an Elizabeth.

RG10/5090  Folio 65  Page 8  Sch 56
Side, Newcastle upon Tyne (St Nicholas)

McKAY
Elizabeth Head 48 Scotland
Elizabeth Dau 11 Newcastle
SAMPSON
Hannah -  2  -    -
WATSON
John Lodger 54 Compositor Newcastle

If this is your Elizabeth and the birthplace for her daughter is correct then your family were certainly in Newcastle from at least 1859/1860. (The above site has an 1859 birth for Elizabeth Harcase MCKAY).

Sorry, can't help with 1851 or 1861 Census at the moment.

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline paul_niab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland, Gateshead census look-up request, McKay's from Dalkeith
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Helen, for taking the time to look up in the 1871 census for me. That's all very helpful information. The 1867 marriage date I did already have, but the census entry is new info for me so I'm grateful for your help.
The entry for the two Elizabeths looks as though it could be right but I don't have enough to go on yet. In the 1881 census there is an entry for a John and Elizabeth McKay, both 68, which would seem to fit well too. So I need to do some proving to sort those out as they are obviously contradictory and can't both be the right folks.

Again, thanks for getting in touch with that info, best regards

Paul