Author Topic: The Black Murrays ( of Warrawang)  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
The Black Murrays ( of Warrawang)
« on: Wednesday 28 October 09 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 Does anyone know anything or has anyone heard of the 'Black Murrays'?
 In 1790s India British Army Officer Lt Col Matthew Murray married an Indian Bride  in Kerala India and they had three children, John, Julia,& James, Matthew returned to Scotland somewhere around the early 1800s with the children and they lived on a country estate called 'Georgefield' nr Langholm.
 The cildren were called 'Black Murrays' because of their black hair, black eyes & dark skin which derived from their mother.
 The thing is, after researching my own Murray family from the Langholm & Canonbie areas it's looking more and more likely that i might be related to the Black Murrays, after looking at pictures of them one of the most striking similarities is the dark hair,eyes & skin.
 I have contacted Murrays in Australia ( incidentally thats where the name Warrawang came from) who are related to the Black Murrays and they agree that there is a strong possibility of a connection after they viewed the pics that i emailed them.
 The trouble is i'm having a lot of trouble finding that connection, and i was wondering if anyone might have any ideas of which way i need to go with this.

Kind Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Murrays ( of Warrawang)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Here's an extract from "The Memorials of Langholm Parish" Staplegordon Churchyard:

Died at — Bay, Australia, on the 29th May 1833 ? JESSIE MURRAY the beloved wife of Henry Cox Corfield, Esq., aged 28 years  Died at Warrance, Australia, on the 6th April 1839 ? JULIA MURRAY eldest daughter of James Murray, Esq., of — aged — years  JAMES MURRAY second son of the late Colonel Murray died at — 4th July 18— aged 58 years Also WILLIAM MURRAY his son who died at Calcutta 13th (15th) November 1861 aged 42 years  JOHN MURRAY died 30th July 1876  Also WILHELMINA BELL wife of the above James Murray who died September 1879 aged 80 years  JAMES MURRAY died July 21st 1881 ? aged 45 years Also FREDERICK JOHNSTONE MURRAY youngest son of James Murray and grandson of the late Colonel Murray born at Georgefield, Westerkirk, 26th August 1841 died at — Australia 6th November 1915 aged 74 years   (stone badly worn)
(On end panel)  In memory of CONTITY MURRAY the daughter of James Murray, Tenant in Georgefield she died January 25th 1834 aged 2  years and 8 months
(On end panel)  In memory of CONTITY MURRAY the daughter of James Murray, Tenant in Georgefield she died October 30th 1836 aged 2 years and 6 months

From memory, it's a table-type memorial and was in a quite distressed condition in 2001.
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I do believe it's going to take quite a bit of sorting out, the earliest i've been able to go back to is 1801 when my gggggrandfather William Murray was born in the civil parish of Canonbie, i don't as yet know who his parents were but i do know that his wifes name was Mary, i don't know her maiden name but she was born in England.

Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline PaulMurray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I was trawling the web when I came across your message. 

I am one of the descendants of Lt Col. Matthew Murray via his second son James and have been looking for descendants of Mathew Murray who have remained in the UK and it looks like I have found one.

Can I assume you are descended from William Murray of Kirtleton? Son of Matthew Murray and Sarah Espline?  I could not find any reference to marriage or children for him and assumed he had no descendants.

I have some information regarding the Murray family in Australia and some on the family in Scotland that I have gleaned from various indexes and on-line resources.

I would be glad to share these with you.

Offline PaulMurray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Oops
I think I was a little premature... Teach me to read before I write.
William Murray of Kirtleton was born 27 November 1810, some years after your William.

Given the dates etc. I don't think you are descended from Mathew Murray as he only had 3 sons (that I am aware of) and of those, John, James and William none had a son named William born in 1801.
John married in 1810
James married in 1818
William - no record of marriage but died in 1848 and buried with his father and mother in Wauchope Cemetery near Langholm.

Still will be happy to explore this further as there was a cousin of Matthew's who predeceased him who also had a son named James, he lived in Tanlawhill.

Offline Kiltie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Wondering if my Murrays are related to the "Black" Murrays? My line is apparently that from a James Murray, Innkeeper/farmer, Bentpath, Westerkirk parish. James is the son of a Matthew Murray and Mary Telfer.

Are the Black Murrays descended from or connected to, the Murray Earls of Dunmore?

Offline Elsieca

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 18 02:58 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching Sibella/Sybella Murray bap 1809 Langholm, Dumfries. Father - Matthew Murray Mother - Sarah Esplin.  Sibella/Sybella married Ewan Alexander Cameron, Edin. Midlothian on 27/4/1830, one child, Matthew Cameron c. 1834.  She then married Lt. Gen. James Fogo on 29/5/1853 and notice of marriage at St. Pauls, Edin. Midlothian notes daughter of the late Lt Col Matthew Murray HEICS.  In the 1841 census of Scotland she is listed with her mother Sarah, Brother William, Sybella, her son Matthew, resident at Kirleton, Dumfries.  I have found a death for Lt. Colonel Matthew Murray at Langholm, late of Bombay (Death 2/8/1811) a few years after the birth of Sibella and in the 1841 census William, the brother, birth 1811 (haven't confirmed that).  Is this info of help to anyone.  My interest is in the Fogo connection.  Thanks.

Offline fenz51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 October 23 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I descent from the Black Murrays as they were called coming down from James Murray and Wilhelmina Reid and then onto their daughter Sybella who married Henry Baylis.  Interesting that I am doing a little work on updating that part of the tree at the moment.  Happy to help anyone with information.
Chris