Author Topic: Banff prison  (Read 11796 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banff prison
« on: Wednesday 28 October 09 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if the prison at Banff still exists. My gg grandfather, Alexander Allan was held there in 1843 after being "caught" for stealing cattle. He claimed that he bought them from a man on the road, but apparently no one believed him and he was transported to Australia in 1844. Are there any records of the prison. any photos?
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Banff prison
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 09 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I have this from the Aberdeen Journal:
Aberdeen Journal 16th Dec 1840: "NOTICE Whereas, on the night between 11th and 12th December 1840 Jean Gordon or Brian, accused of sheep-stealing --[and a married couple]--- made their escape from the prison of Banff." At her trial in April '41 it was revealed that she made her escape by burning a hole large enough for a small hand in the door of her cell using a peat from the fire. Another fire was set to burn through the outer door.
Aberdeen Journal Apr 28th 1841: "Jean Gordon or Brien, from Oakenbrae, King Edward charged with having, in September last , stolen 26 sheep from a hillside in the Cabrach. She pleaded Not Guilty. In this case, it appeared that the panel was a natural daughter of ---- Gordon, at Bank of Cabrach, and that during his lifetime he had given her occasional assistance, and, as she said, had promised to leave her £100, but left her nothing, though he left £300 to his natural son. The property was left to John Gordon and his son, the brother and nephew of the deceased. Jean Gordon had a large family of children (7chiildren), and the cattle were stolen from her uncle and cousin, who never gave her anything.
Found guilty and sentenced to 12 months in prison. Sentenced to 4 months for breaking out of jail."
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
I found the prison on an old OS map of Banff. Is it still there?
Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 10 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking at modern maps it would appear that the School is now on that site, but maybe someone with better local knowledge could tell you.

Looks as though all that's left is a wall.
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/229396/details/banff+st+catherine+street+jail+walls/

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 February 11 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I took a trip over to Banff today and asked around about the prison. In fact I fell in with some very interesting company there, and gathered quite a lot of information.

The original jail was in the Tolbooth, which was on the corner of Low Street and Strait Path. This, however, was demolished and a new building erected in 1801.

In 1797 a new Town House was built on the other side of Low Street, and this building, which still stands, contains cells which would have been used as the burgh prison.

Some time in the 1800s, a new jail was built in Reidhaven Street. It has since been demolished, apart from a couple of turrets, and replaced by a block of flats. Unfortunately I have yet to discover exactly when it was built. It isn't marked on the 1832 town plan, but it is on the Ordnance Survey 25-inch map dated 1866.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 December 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 December 11 09:44 GMT (UK) »
An afterthought to my last post...

There's also a Jail Lane in Banff (use Google Maps and you'll find it).  Don't know if it's relevant or not...
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline Scot2Eng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 12 14:42 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already found them, the trial papers for Alexander Allan's trial are in the National Archives of Scotland ref JC26/1843/144. You can search the catalogue online at www.nas.gov.uk.

Also there are pictures and illustrations of Banff Tolbooth where Alexander Allan may have been held at http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/76723/digital_images/banff+low+street+tolbooth+steeple/
My 3x great grandfather was held there about 10 years earlier!

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already found them, the trial papers for Alexander Allan's trial are in the National Archives of Scotland ref JC26/1843/144. You can search the catalogue online at www.nas.gov.uk.

Also there are pictures and illustrations of Banff Tolbooth where Alexander Allan may have been held at http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/76723/digital_images/banff+low+street+tolbooth+steeple/
My 3x great grandfather was held there about 10 years earlier!
Thanks for your information. It is greatly appreciated. I have obtained the papers you mentioned from the NAS, and they were certainly interesting! Pages and pages of witness statements and evidence gathered with great zeal to convict Alexander. I still think he was innocent! Anyway, he was convicted and transported to Van Diemens Land in 1844. He left a wife and child behind, never to see again - married again and had several children in Australia, one of which was my great grandmother.
The link to the pictures of the Banff Tolbooth was also great to see. Was that part of the old gaol or was a separate building? I understood that the original gaol was replaced a long time ago.
What was your 3x great grandfather in the prison for, dare I ask?
thanks again, Roger