Author Topic: Banff prison  (Read 11862 times)

Offline Scot2Eng

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banff prison
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
The tolbooth in a scottish burgh was the council building, court and jail. I think the prison cells were usually used to hold people for a short time until they appeared in court. The cells in the picture, which are probably are still in existence, date at least from the latter part of the 18th century. Next time I manage to get to Banff I'll try to take a look. The building is still council offices.

My 3 ggfather was arrested for forgery and according to the papers at NAS was held at the Banff tolbooth. Somehow he was released from prison before his trial, didn't turn up at Aberdeen High Court to face the charges and was declared an outlaw! He obviously didn't fancy a trip to Australia!

I've written an article about it and it is in the Christmas 2012 issue of Family Tree magazine that's out now!

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I'll look out for it!
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Jumping in here as I just found a possible connection to my Argyll born ancestor. I did not expect to find any Banff connections ever, but on another RC page someone left a link for a very helpful site http://www.scottishindexes.com/ where all sorts of records are being transcribed by volunteers. Check it out. Anyway, my great great grandfather, Archibald MCKINNON, (abt. 1813 - ?) was born at Kilninian Mull, Argyll and married 1st Catherine MCARTHUR, then 2nd Christina MCDOUGALL. He married his 2nd wife on Coll in 1849 and they are found on Tiree in 1851, then in Bonhill, Dumbartonshire in 1861. After that, Archibald vanishes (I can find no death) but Christina died at the home of a niece in Hutchensontown,  Lanarkshire in 1886. I did find a death for an Archibald MCKINNON in a poor house in Dumbartonshire in 1869 but the deatails on the record are so few that I am not certain who he was. So today, I found an Archibald MCKINNON, Argyll born, labourer, no fixed address, registered in prison in Banff in 1863. How might I find out more? Thank you!

Mary

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
Just to go back to what Forfarian said about Reidhaven Street and the old turret forming part of new housing.

A few years ago we stayed in the house that incorporates the turret - it was a holiday let. The turret was the kitchen. Thank goodness it was not the bedroom or I would never have slept a wink. It had a cold feeling about it although the newly build part of the house was fine.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife