Author Topic: Marraige for Puxty and Wilson?  (Read 8128 times)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
  • The most interesting detective work there is!
    • View Profile
Marraige for Puxty and Wilson?
« on: Wednesday 28 October 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I am having difficulties finding a marraige between Alfred Edmund Puxty (born 1883 Flimwell) and a Jane Wilson (I think born about 1880). I have found other Alfred Puxty's but they are not him (I have traced them forwards with their respective families to eliminate them from enquiries). He is also very difficult to find on the 1911 census (no success as yet) although I may have found Jane - thats if she is working as a domestic servant in Bromley at the time and was born in Port Rose, Canarty (sp?) Scotland.
They have a large family starting with Alfred E Puxty in last quarter 1911 in the Sevenoaks area and I have traced their abode from 1921 onwards (Jane in 1919 at a local pub) in Halstead (north of Sevenoaks) in the electors registers upto 1944 when the family were killed through enemy bombing at the consistant address of Lamberhurst Cottages. I cannot locate a marraige on the Scotlands people site either at present so am pretty stuck. I have order the eldest sons birth certificate to try shed more details and this indicates that the family are in the same address in Halstead /Shoreham Sevenoaks from October 1911 at least. I have revisited the 1911 census and also had another trawl through the bmd indexes but still no luck.

Would anyone have any ideas re finding a marraige please?

Thanks

This family are not just distant cousins but were also living on the site that is now my sons scout hut so want to piece together the history for the group too.

Many thanks

Barbara
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marraige for Puxty and Wilson?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMR22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 January 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to know what you have found out about Jane Wilson as she was my great grandmother. I don't know if you were aware that she had 10 children in all, Harry and Jessie were both older than Alfred and I know that Harry was not Alfred Edmond's son.
My mother believes that Jane came from Hastings and had a sister possibly named Edith and brothers who may have been Fred and Bill.
My mother is interested to find out as much as possible as she lived almost in view of the house when it was bombed.
I hope the information that I have given you helps.

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 16:10 GMT (UK) »
HI there

Thanks for responding to the message! I have the children so far as follows:

Alfred Edmund Puxty 1911 –

Jessie M Puxty 1913 – 1914 (Would this be the Jessie you have as older?)

Frank William Puxty 1915 – 1981

Charles A Puxty 1917 – 1996

Violet N Puxty 1922 –

William F Puxty 1925 – 2002

George Puxty 1928 – 1944

Dorothy R Puxty 1931 – 1944

Norah A Puxty 1939 – 1944

Was Jane married prior to Alfred or was she a single mother with Harry?

I haven't looked into them recently - have been chasing another family tree - but I admit I was fresh running out of ideas!! I have Jane in the Halstead area from Alfreds birth certificate that I obtained for 1911 and also from 1919 in Halstead (Kent) villages register of electors that is at Sevenoaks library in their resources section. I thought that she may possibly be the same Jane Wilson that was born (1887) in the Goudhurst area (South West Kent about 20 miles from Hastings) to parents Jane and William as that is close to where Alfred grew up (Flimwell) and could explain how they met (I have gone off the Scotland theory). This one has an older brother William (Bill?) and a younger one Frederick (I haven't spotted an Edith). Other siblings possible could be Beatrice, James, Charles, George, Sarah, Elizabeth, Robert, Florence, Ellen from what I have got from census records of this family.

I may have Jane on the 1911 census also if the above is the right one.

Do you have access to Ancestry at all?

Barbara
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I am having difficulties finding a marraige between Alfred Edmund Puxty (born 1883 Flimwell) and a Jane Wilson (I think born about 1880).

The CWGC site at www.cwgc.org.uk has Jane's age as 54 at death (13.2.1944) which, if correct, suggests a birthdate around 1890 rather than 1880.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna

I was thinking more 1887 (give or take a year or so - the bmd death index suggests a ?54 years of age so there could be some lee way).
Would you know whether her oldest son had a 'known as' name that he went by rather than his given name at all? Just thinking through a possibility. The parents of the Jane Wilson that I'm looking at as a possible have an Alfred John (1906) living with them as 'their son' with a 10 year gap between this and the next youngest child at the address in 1911. The born in Goudhurst Jane is working as a domestic nurse in Ramsgate - no child present that could be attributed to her at the 1911 census address.

Mulling things through  ???

Barbara

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Why 1887? Is there any info on her other than the age of 54 at death?

There's a Jane WILSON b Hastings RD, Jun qtr 1891.  In 1901 she's in St Helen's Hastings with parents Henry & Mary - her siblings include a Fred and an "Eady" (poss birth reg as Edith Rose WILSON 1894 Hastings).

The 1901 ref is RG13/862/91/23.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to know what you have found out about Jane Wilson as she was my great grandmother. I don't know if you were aware that she had 10 children in all, Harry and Jessie were both older than Alfred and I know that Harry was not Alfred Edmond's son.
My mother believes that Jane came from Hastings and had a sister possibly named Edith and brothers who may have been Fred and Bill.
My mother is interested to find out as much as possible as she lived almost in view of the house when it was bombed.
I hope the information that I have given you helps.

Crikey! In view you say? Where the houses stood is now the scout huts car park and unless you know we are there it's not very obvious!!

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Why 1887? Is there any info on her other than the age of 54 at death?

There's a Jane WILSON b Hastings RD, Jun qtr 1891.  In 1901 she's in St Helen's Hastings with parents Henry & Mary - her siblings include a Fred and an "Eady" (poss birth reg as Edith Rose WILSON 1894 Hastings).

Not anything that helps pin point an age. I'll look at the one you have suggested above though - any lead is better than none!