Author Topic: value of rupee against the poundH  (Read 4624 times)

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
value of rupee against the poundH
« on: Thursday 29 October 09 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know where i can find out how much 20,000 rupees would have been worth in sterling, circa 1833? thanks
Ruth
Seyer [Bristol and London], Porter [Swindon and Manchester], Lawless, Wilson, Wood, Ebsworthy, Willson [not a typo, have different spellings on different sides of the family]. Also Lawler [London and Liverpool}, Bagnaro and Cavo [London and Maiori, Italy], also Engley/Englie-London, Gloucester and Bristol, Palmer [Chichester and London]. Recently added Greaves [Derbys], Handley Greaves [Derbyshire, London and Swindon]

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: value of rupee against the poundH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
i think somebody moved this thread cos i inadvertently posted in the wrong place, but now i cant find it and dont know if anyone replied.
Roofy
Seyer [Bristol and London], Porter [Swindon and Manchester], Lawless, Wilson, Wood, Ebsworthy, Willson [not a typo, have different spellings on different sides of the family]. Also Lawler [London and Liverpool}, Bagnaro and Cavo [London and Maiori, Italy], also Engley/Englie-London, Gloucester and Bristol, Palmer [Chichester and London]. Recently added Greaves [Derbys], Handley Greaves [Derbyshire, London and Swindon]

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 09 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roofy

So far, I've got that  15 rupee = 1 pound  in the late 19th century.

In the late 19th century the customary exchange rate was 1 rupee to one shilling and fourpence in British currency, or 15 rupees to 1 pound sterling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupee

and a bit here:

http://www.collectornetwork.com/articles/article_rupee.php

Still searching

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
thanks Gadget, need to get my calculator out now;)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hold the calculator - I've found a closer value:

Meanwhile, the sicca rupee was in 1825, valued in Ceylon by an Order in Council at 2 shillings and 1 penny which was an over valuation by 4%. The comparison taken to determine the over valuation was the representative capacity of British silver and the prevailing price of silver in the market. This anomalous situation was rectified in 1833 by a Minute of the British Governor who fixed the value of a sicca rupee at 2 shillings.

http://coins.lakdiva.org/silver_rupee.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 09 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Are we talking about the sicca rupee from Ceylon or the Indian rupee?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 09 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Well once you found out how much the Rupee's were worth against the £  in 1833, then use N.A "old money to new Converter" to find out what the £ then would be worth today.
Migky  ;)

CLICK 4 N.A. MONEY CONVETER

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 09 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Are we talking about the sicca rupee from Ceylon or the Indian rupee?

Either at the moment - have you found anything closer  :)

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I was wrong, it was Ceylone_ value of rupee against the poundH - now completed
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Since the original post I have found more info from the london gazette re his estate and it definitely says, Ceylon rupees. Thankyou all again for your help and the links to converters.
Ruth

Hi everyone,
it was the Indian rupee, thankyou. I went to the sites and did the calculations, now all Ive got to figure out, is who got the money! and where are the wills for the three children who got the money. I love a mystery me!

Thanks again for your help, it gave me a real idea of how they managed to live and quite an insight into their lives,
Best
Ruth