Author Topic: Feshiebridge  (Read 19192 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Feshiebridge
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Larkspur, I think that's what I've said in my post, the book deals with the departure of folk from Invereshie, the two young guys from Rothiemurchus have obviously decided to better themselves and went also, although Rothiemurchus would also clear tenants, as Elizabeth Grant recommended in her Dublin book.
 The people would also be cleared from other MacPherson estates in Laggan and the Duke of Gordon's tenants in Badenoch & in Glenmore.  The Grant name has obviously been tagged on to Invereshie as MacPherson had won a watch with Ballindalloch, Invereshie's the back o beyond by comparison. :)
 Scottish toffs by the way didn't use the hyphen, Cunninghame Graham was very emphatic on the matter, his own name having been double barelled in the cause of filthy lucre.

Skoosh. 

Skoosh.

Offline holly114

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 September 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hello just spotted your email string on the Grant's from 2011 and hoping you are still online able to possibly assist.  I'm helping my friend research her Scottish heritage and one of her relatives is a Isabella Grant b. 1899 who later married a John Henry Sims in South Africa in 1920.  We know that Isabella and John came to Lagganlia in December 1921 and the had their son Arthur John Frederick Sims born in Lagganlia in January 1922.  We are assuming that Isabella and John returned to her family home to have her son.  I know that Isabella was born in 1899 as her age was listed on the ships passenger records when travelling from South Africa.  I'm wondering therefore if you have any record of Isabella in your Grant family history that you have collated from Lagganlia.  Would love to hear from you.  Kind regards, Holly Moulton (from Canada).

Offline tckop

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 February 24 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Wow  :)
I just wanted to drop a line and say thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge here so openly.
I bl00dy love it.

John Grant and Elizabeth Murray were my 4th GGparents and their youngest daughter Christina (my 3rd GGma) ended up moving to Australia in 1853 and a few generations later - here I am, one of many descendants from this amazing part of the world.

As someone who is new to family history, it is truly so brilliant to come and learn from people freely sharing what they've found. It makes my heart happy.

Anyways to anyone who is reading this who has posted here before and taken the time, thank you and to anyone who comes across this in the future, wow aren't we lucky :)

Offline Rudhach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 March 24 00:16 GMT (UK) »
They were my great great grandparents through their son John Grant. Still in Scotland but know every little about Feshebridge ( been trying to locate the saw mill for years ) and very limited info on the Grant family. Would love to know more though. D

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 March 24 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if the mystery of the Feshie saw mill and Mill Cottage was already solved somewhere in this thread, but here is a map view showing them (1873 OS  6 inch). If you zoom out you will see Feshie Bridge is just to the south east.

https://tinyurl.com/nhkuwjdw

This Mill Cottage is still there according to the modern OS map. It seems that it is run as a hostel or bothy by Mountaineering Scotland, and here is an image of the cottage at their site:

https://www.mountaineering.scot/clubs/huts/national-huts/mill-cottage
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 March 24 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Inverness Courier 8th August 1905

There is a long article reporting upon:

SILVER WEDDING OF THE MACKINTOSH
CELEBRATION AT MOY HALL
TENANTRY PRESENTATIONS
The Mackintosh and Mrs Mackintosh celebrated their silver wedding at Moy Hall yesterday. The tenantry and employees on the extensive estates were invited to visit Moy Hall, and in course of the day were hospitably entertained by the chief and his lady.

In the extensive list of invitations is Mr John Grant, Feshie Saw Mill, as well as Mr John Grant, Feshie Ard; and Miss Ann Grant, Feshie Bridge.

The only other possible newspaper reference to the mill appears in a long list of subscribers to the Inverness-shire Second Subscription List for the Benefit of the Destitute Poor in the Highlands and Island of Scotland that is printed in the Inverness Courier 3rd March 1847. The list includes, in the Badenoch District, a donation of 2s 6d by Alexander Meldrum, Feshie Mill.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline craj11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 March 24 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Further to my post on 9 May 2014 we did visit the area and found the site of the mill, Croftbeg and Druiminlochan, based the old maps that we found at Scotland’s Places

Yes the Mill cottage referred to by AlanBoyd is still there. Just downstream of it on the same side you can see the remains of the mill race which would have turned a wheel to power the mill. The mill would have been a timber structure and some flood must have washed it away at some point.

Pretty much opposite there is a small cottage named Feshieside Croft, which I take to be where Croftbeg stood in 1851 when Alexander and Betsey Grant and their family were. The old maps show there was a footbridge across the Feshie to the mill

In 1841 they were at Druiminlochan, which these days is a beautifully renovated house higher up the hill on the main road, overlooking Lochan Gael.

My wife is descended from Betsey Grant b1805 who was daughter of Murdoch Grant. I now suspect, based on her DNA matches to descendants of John the sawmiller, that Murdoch may have been his brother. There is a Murdoch Grant of Strathspey who enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders in 1805, so my working theory is that Murdoch Grant’s wife (Betsey’s mother), died, possibly in childbirth, and Betsey was left with the family of John the sawmiller.

My Grant family tree on Ancestry is here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/120695841/person/332148132918

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 March 24 21:55 GMT (UK) »
This version of the Ordnance Survey map allows you to compare the map with the satellite view.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18.2&lat=57.12009&lon=-3.90676&layers=257&b=1&o=63 Move the blue dot to left and right to toggle from one to the other, or click 'side by side' to see both at once - you can see that Mill Cottage is still there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline craj11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 March 24 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, yes I’ve seen that feature

This is the map I was using

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74427109