Author Topic: Feshiebridge  (Read 19169 times)

Offline Craskie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Feshiebridge
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 April 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
John Grant and Elizabeth Murray were my GGG Grandparents - Their son John was my GG Grandfather, he married Jessie Carr - Son Alexander Grant was my GT Grandfather, he married Barbara Wares - Their daughter Jessie Anne was my Grandmother
I have lots of information regarding the Grant family - Too much to detail here

Where do you live and how are you related

Offline Rudhach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
Alexander had a brother John who also had a son called John who was married twice. The younger John would be my G grandfather I think.        I live up in the highlands. Using blackberry so my internet connection aint to good. How can I contact you directly? 

Offline Craskie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 00:07 BST (UK) »

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.[/blue]

Offline duncansketch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 November 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Craskie/Marion.

John Grant & Elsbeth Murray were also my GGG grandparents. Likewise we share the same GG grandparents in John Grant & Jessie Carr. Whereas you are descended from their 6th son Alexander (b1858), I am descended from their eldest son - also John (b 1846).

Hello Rudlach
It seems we are more closely related in that we share the same G grandfather in John Grant (b1846). I am descended from John's second marriage to Isabella Graham. They had 3 daughters; twins Harriet & Catherine (b1901) and youngest daughter Margaret (b1903). My grandmother Harriet married Norman Macleod from Skye. Their eldest daughter Jessie Mary Macleod was my mother.

Unless you are a descendent of my grand-aunt Margaret (Maggie) Grant - who married Walter Snowdon, then I assume that you are descended from John's first marriage to Helen McIntosh (1845-1891). They had 6 children; Peter, Helen, John, Ewen & Lewis. Your G grandfather John died in Edinburgh in 1904.

I'd love to hear anything either of you have on our Grant forebears. I shall of course be delighted to reciprocate.

Warm regards to you both.
Duncan.

Offline duncansketch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 November 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
John Grant (b. 2 Apr 1815 Alvie to John G. & Lizzie Murray) m. Aug 1843, Alvie to Jessie Carr (b. 12 Jun 1824 Kingussie & Insh to John C. & Annie Bruce). They had at least 11 children : Betsy b.  1844, John b. 1846, Lewis b. 1848, William b. 1850, Peter b. 1853, James b. 1855, Alexander b.1858, Donald (Duncan?) b. 1861, David b. 1864 d. 1864, Ann b. 1865, Jessie b. 1867 - all Alvie.
John snr d. 1906, Alvie & Jessie snr. d. 1907 Kingussie. Hope this helps.

Hello Samgate
Can you please let me know how you found Jessie Carr's dob? Though I have marriage & death info, I haven't been able to find anything about her birth in the records. Census entries show her as having been born in Alvie, so I anticipated that her birth would have been registered - though it's possible that it wasn't. That would have been very unusual  for that period  & location, but you appear to have an exact date.

Warm regards,
Duncan.

Offline Rudhach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 November 11 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Duncan, as it happens Ive been looking at your grandmothers admission records to Lagganlia school with her sisters. I take it they moved to Lewis as they seemed to be in the school for a few months before they left the district. You mention that your gran was a twin. It often runs in families tho not in mines, so far any way. I dont have much information on the Grants Im afraid. I had hoped to get back into research this year but I recently moved house and Im still trying to fine some of my paper work. I think I have an idea where the site of your great grandfathers sawmill but I havent managed to confirm this yet.

I was going to say that the information on this Grant family seems to be rather sketchy till I realised thats your surname.

Donald 

Offline duncansketch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 November 11 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donald. Thanks for the prompt response. I'd love to see the school records you  mention as I don't really have anything on my grandmother's early years other than she and of course her twin sister  Catherine being born in Alder cottage on the Feshie estate.

Grant isn't my surname. I'm actually a Macleod. My mother Jessie Mary Macleod who was born in Stornoway married another Macleod - my father Torquil Macleod from Stornoway.

Warm regards,
Duncan.

Offline samgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 November 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duncansketch

Sorry not to have replied sooner but I couldn't find my info on Jessie Carr and then realised that it was because she is not actually in my family tree so I hadn't put her on my computer records, although I still have the paper records for the family. I found her dob by putting her parents' names (from her marriage & death certs) into Family Search. It came up with only one result with a Jannet Kerr born to parents Ann Bruce and John Kerr. I reckonned that was probably the correct person. Hope this helps.

Good luck
Samgate

Offline Rudhach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 November 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Duncan, my apologies for not getting back sooner. I'm sure I have an old photograph of your granny when she was in primary school, along with her two sisters. Its a group photograph of the whole school. Im sure you know that your granny saved her twin sister from a fire and received an award for doing so. I think it was reported in the local paper at the time. I think your granny was also quoted in the Scotsman newspaper in the 60's when the queen visited Garrabost. I think it says she lived in Glasgow at the time.

As for Jessie Carr, Im sure I came across details of her as being possibly a Kerr and from being from Dingwall area but I havnt been able to confirm this so dont use it as a definate. Your great granny Isabella Graham married John Grant at 1 Ardconnel Street Inverness.

Hope this helps

Rudhach