Author Topic: St Michael's Church, Elswick  (Read 13682 times)

Offline Sherella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Michael's Church, Elswick
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sabaru
St Michael's R.C. Parish Church Elswick, their Parish Records are in Tyne and Wear Archives as St Michael's was my mothers families parish. I went to St Michael's about eight years ago now to view the parish registers. Fr. Bellamy is an old man who has been a priest here since about 1965. I too phoned several times & eventually I made arrangements with him to visit. When I got there he had brought all the registers into the dinning room & had placed them on the table for me. If I remember rightly there was only two marriage registers, one full and the other still in use. The Bishop very much wanted them to go into T&W Archives & eventually the full registers were handed in. I have viewed the registers in T & W Archives on microfilm. I didn't realise that Fr. Bellamy was still at St Michael's. If I can be of any help as I'm due another visit to T & W Archives please let me know.
Teasdale: Cumberland and Northumberland
Curry: Durham and Northumberland
Ridley, Burn, Henderson, Harberson/Harbertson: Northumberland
Hedley: Northumberland and Durham
Blake, Docking: Suffolk
Clark: Scotland & Northumberland.              Moreland: Ireland, Scotland & Northumberland
Waite: Durham
Rowntree: Durham
Ward: Ireland and Northumberland

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 April 18 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
After a gap of searching, I'm still hoping to find information from St Michael's church, if anyone can help. I realise the church records are now held in TWA. Any help appreciated

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 April 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sabaru,

My work hours are not compatible with the archives opening hours just now.  However, if you can wait a few weeks I think I will be able to go for you at some point, -  let's say within the next 3 weeks.

Perhaps you could send me more details by pm?

I am sorry to hear you have had such a long time of waiting - hopefully I will be able to find your baptisms for you soon.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 April 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, what happened to David doing this search?  Was he unable to follow through for some reason or did he try but the records could not be found?

I am just curious as to why things did not work out last time.  I am happy to do this search for you if you don't mind waiting up to three weeks. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

I haven't been active on Rootschat much since then due to an upheaval at home. I didn't get any further with the search then. I changed email addresses and lost contact with lots of people. Not sure what happened with David's search but I'd welcome your help, and can wait however long you need ! I'll pm you tomorrow.
Regards
Rosemary

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
I await you pm then. 

Although my work hours are not compatible at the moment I do think I will be able to go to do this search for you at some point over the next few weeks.  Within three weeks I would say.   So don't worry - if they are at St Michael I should be able to find them for you. :)

It is a shame you have had such a long wait to find out about these baptisms. 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 April 18 07:11 BST (UK) »
No pm has come through as yet.  Have you sent to wrong person or have you not had time yet? :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 May 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Subaru,

I am so excited for you!  I have been able to find the baptisms for you that you have asked for and one for another member of the family which appears to have been a death bed baptism.

One of the three was baptized 6 years after they were born.

I am really pushed for time now so I am going to send you all the information tomorrow by pm.

I am just so pleased to be able to have found them finally for you after you have waited so long that I did not want to delay another day in letting you know that they are indeed at St Michael! :D

PS  I will give you the microfilm number along with all the details.  A staff member says that should you want copies to be sent for you (and as you will have all the details this would be classed as a straightforward research)  they would only charge you £7 each for each person.  So if you did want to purchase the copies of the baptisms for all three it would be £21.

Best Wishes :)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 May 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much :)you are an angel!!
I look forward to hearing from you. And I will definitely apply for the certificates. My mam is 90, and will be so pleased to see them x