Author Topic: Blong in Ireland  (Read 49590 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blong in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 April 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
Edenderry RC cemetery;
Headstone;
Mona Blong
Killane, Edenderry
30/4/1991 (59)
Hus; John
29/6/1994
grand-daughter;
Michelle Mc Mahon
27/10/1997
died in infancy.

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
There is a record of Blong Family in Coolbanagher, Queen's County records.

Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
There is a record of Blong Family in Coolbanagher, Queen's County records.

It might be helpful if you let us into the secret of what the record says  :)
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Have just collated almost 3500 baptismal and burial records in aid of Coolbanagher Parish.  Exhibition this week-end - they will be available.  Will let you email to write to asap.

Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
Here's the email

coolbanagher[at]gmail.com

:)

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 07:51 BST (UK) »
Have just collated almost 3500 baptismal and burial records in aid of Coolbanagher Parish

Are there any plans to put them on the web somewhere. Many of us reading the forum do not live in Ireland (or even close)
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

The plan  is to try to put a web-site together in the future.  Coolbanagher is a small parish (which had a large population in the 1800's, and so gets frequent requests for information) and it is hoped to request a small  donation (€10) towards upkeep of church and details of search would be sent.

I will have a look and see later today 'how many Blongs' are mentioned and let you know.

Good wishes,

Danishdots

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
You actually open a wider discussion here, which is how to charge or not to charge for genealogical information

At a national level the IFHF business model is deeply flawed, and that seems to be recognised by the Irish government with the new free web site that has Dublin and Kerry records so far.

The Census is online and free

I appreciate that someone has to do the work in transcribing the records, and particularly in the case of the C of I, in maintaining churches.

The reason that "pay for information" sites have appeared to fail is, in my opinion, due to the fact that most of us trawling back in time in Ireland, are doing just that "trawling". We have no idea whether our ancestor lived in parish A or parish B, nor do we have any idea who their parents were. We have to trawl many parishes and try to make sense of the information we have

In the case of the Blongs (one would think a comparatively easy name to research) it is complex as (you are aware) the Huguenots came to Portarlington, and had a decent set of surviving records, but they suddenly disappear, so one has to try to find what goes in the gap in the 1700s when families were growing in size.

With the Blongs my attempts at trawling Portarlington records are here

I have trawled Clonmore for Blongs

and I have trawled Clonbullogue for Blongs

I have trawled Coolbanagher for Blongs

You can see that it is not a simple question to ask of a parish in an email, either for me or for most researchers. It is is a question of vacuuming up information and trying to make sense of it.

It would not help you parish finances (and I am not sure how many donations you would get), but I will make you a genuine offer on a web site, as I am in the web business. I would be happy to register you a dot com URL and put you parish information on it and hand control over to you. Would not cost the parish anything, but the information would be out there.

I am not sure if that would help you or not  :)

Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your email.  Will get back in touch after our exibition. 

I am acting an an individual - just donating anything that my many hours of work may bring in to the parish - saving them many hours.

Danishdots