Author Topic: Blong in Ireland  (Read 49827 times)

Offline brenig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blong in Ireland
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 16 October 11 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret I'm delighted to have read this post because my great grandfather was Peter Blong who was the brother of Timothy and his father, as you would expect, was Peter and mother Margaret Mary Anne Cassidy.
I was fascinated to see the picture that you attached because I also visited that property in 2008. The Quinn's do indeed own the property and they have a large modern house to the side and a garage on the other side. Towards the back is the house in your picture which they still use for storage. It is three rooms. The last of their children were twins and I it was Bridgit that married Patrick Quinn.
My records show that there were 10 children.
Peter Blong went to Widnes and he married a Mary Murphy. They went on to have nine children - one of whom was Edward Blong, my grandfather.
I'm just wondering whether it is possible to exchange further information because I have been trying to unravel the 'Blongs' for quite some time. I'd be delighted if you have any other pictures you could share?

I live in Australia and my sister is in NZ.

I'm attaching the Blong tree that I've been working from.

Offline redmargaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I really don't have much more I can tell you.  I know my grandfather's brother Christopher emigrated to the U.S. and settled in Massachusetts.  He had one son and at least one daughter but I only met them once many years ago and don't know what became of them.  My father claimed that a relative whose mother was a Blong was a member of a chicago mob in the 20's and was killed in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, one of the byproducts of our flirtation with Prohibition.  He woould have been about my father's age and it's possible that his mother was one of my grandfather's sisters.  I never heard my father mention that a cousin from Ireland lived with his family in Pennsylvania.

I have attached a photo of Pat Quinn talking to my father (back to camera) and a neighbor that was taken during a visit in the 60's.

I believe there is information online about immigration thru Ellis Island and I know the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) maintains a large genealogical data base which is accessible online.

Offline APHILLIPS

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 20 May 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am Ellen Johnstons (nee Blanche) great great granddaughter.  Her daughter Ellens granddaughter (nee Nevin). Just looking to see could i find out any family historys at all  :)

Offline dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 21 May 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi APhilips I am Ellen Blanc's great great grandson through a not too disimilar line as the one you are alluding to. I have the family history and have passed that on to your aunt Rita.

D

Offline SallyC773

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 06 December 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am so happy I came across this thread.  I have just recently started researching this side of my grandmother's family tree.  I am the great-great granddaughter of John Blong b. c1853 and great granddaughter of his eldest son John Blong b. c1878.  The younger John married Catherine "Kate" Dunne and had 6 children.  Mary "Molly" and Catherine "Kate" (my grandmother) both lived in Ireland with their maternal grandparents, the younger children: John"Jack", Anne, Ellen"Eileen" were born in Widnes, and I'm not sure where the youngest Joseph lived mostly. He is buried with his mother near Clonbulloge, Co. Offaly.  My grandmother came to Chicago in 1920.  I believe her father may have lived in the states and Canada for a while during the 20s & 30s.  He died back in England.  The 8 note towards the bottom of the "Blong of Widnes" family tree was probably meant for John Blong b.29.9.1885 son of Michael & Maragaret.  I was recently in Clonbulloge visiting with a cousin of my grandmother's.   It's too bad I didn't have this information before I went.  Thank you to all that have posted here.
Sally

Offline SuzHunt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 29 January 15 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I am new to RootsChat, and am happy to see so much discussion about the Blongs.

My Irish ancestors settled in Philadelphia. My Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Blong, born in 1858 in Rathangan, Edenderry, Co. Kildare. Her Father was George Blong. She married Thomas Hunt in 1880 in Rathangan, and immigrated to Philadelphia in 1881. Her sister, Josephine Blong, was born in 1856.

Any pointers or thoughts will be much appreciated! Thank you!

Offline colmquinn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 26 June 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
hi i just found this site by accident yesterday i am colm quinn i live in clonmore beside the old house someone put up in a photo in this thread that was my grandmother katie quinn looking over the half door and my grandfather pat quinn in the other picture talking to our neighbour SEAN BLANC (in the white shirt) the blancs live beside me in clonmore in a thatched cottage sean,lilly and paddy i had both the pictures posted on this thread so i presume i have met some of ye before.its a small world we live in  ;D

Offline Jackie Remes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenig,
Just a snippet of info but I'm tracing my grandma, she ids listed as living with the Blongs in Clonmore in the 1911 census, her name was Gertrude Conlan,  at the age of 16. Not much help but interesting as I've drawn a blank.