Author Topic: James Lang sprouston near kelso  (Read 9636 times)

Offline JRR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: look up sprouston near kelso
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 March 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Christopher Lang was married, Sept 29, 1848 in Maxton, to Helen Laidlaw Rutherford, b June 27, 1825 Crailing, SCT.  Helen was the daughter of Andrew Rutherford (1785-1855) and Agnes Sibbald (1788-1870).  Andrew Rutherford was the son of William Rutherford and Agnes Mills.  Agnes Sibbald was the daughter of John Sibbald and Jane Laidlaw.
Jack
Rutherford, Mills, Sibbald, Laidlaw, Middlemas, Lidgerwood, Gray, Jack, White, Dunn

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 March 10 13:26 GMT (UK) »
There is some confusion over the birth of Helen Laidlaw Rutherford . according to the official record on Scot. People she was born on the 24th August 1825 in Crailing.
I am descended from Helen's uncle John Rutherford.
Mike

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rutherford/Lang researchers

In Crailing churchyard

(under holly tree)

Sacred to the memory of Andrew Rutherford, shepherd, who died at Muirhouselaw in the parish of Maxton 19.1.1855 aged 69 years also of Agnes Sibbald his wife who died 14.3.1870 aged 81 years. Likewise his children James, fourth son who died at Ploughlands 21.2.1832 aged 11 years, Joann third daughter who died at Ploughlands 16.7.1832 aged 20 years, William eldest son who died at Ploughlands 16.12.1832 aged 19years.

(How sad for them to lose three grown children in one year!)

regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline JRR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 March 10 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
I have the birth of Helen Laidlaw Rutherford as the June 27th date and her christening as the August 24th date.
Jack
Rutherford, Mills, Sibbald, Laidlaw, Middlemas, Lidgerwood, Gray, Jack, White, Dunn

Offline Billk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 April 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Further to Langs in Sprouston, I'm trying to get some more info on Walter Lang (father James and mother Margaret Waite????). 1841 and 1851 Censuses indicate he was born in Sprouston ca. 1789. Walter married Elizabeth (Betty) Redpath in Kelso, 30 Sep 1814, although I don't have a documented source on this. Also, I'm looking for anything on Walter's mother and father. Walter was the father of Christopher Lang and grandfather of James Lang (who immigrated to Canada), referred to in previous postings.
I'd appreciate any help on this
Bill
Lang - Sprouston, Roxburgshire: Hebburn, Durham: Canada
Skead - Midlothian: Cumberland: Canada
Langley - Elton, Huntingdonshire: Canada
MacDonald (McDonald) - Mull: Dumbartonshire: Glasgow: Canada
Gilchrist -  Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire

Offline apoolaclypse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 09:01 BST (UK) »
Just read a very interesting chapter referring to James Lang of Kenora, who bought an Island there now called Langs Island. Gives very interesting reading about James, a very hard working and principled man.It states he arrived there 1875, and is  a very informative article on James
This is detailed in the life story of Dr Alan J Snider

Offline Billk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
James Lang was my wife's great grandfather. He emigrated to Kenora (then Rat Portage) in 1887 with his wife, Janet, and three children. Janet died in 1888 following the birth of their fourth child. James' sister Christina came to live with him to look after the children until he married Thirza Wilson in 1892. They had five children, one of whom died at 9 mo. James was a mechanic with the Canadian Pacific Railway.

James'  brother Walter came to Canada around 1872 going first to Nova Scotia where he stayed with his uncle who had come to the area in 1847. Walter eventually moved to Rat Portage in 1881. He was employed with the CPR. Presumably, he influenced James' emigration.

Walter owned a house on Lang's Island in the Kenora harbour. He and his family lived there for a number of years it would appear that James and his family lived with them for several years. Eventually, Walter and his family moved to Edmonton. James lived in Kenora until his death in 1935.

I have read Daniel Snider's memoir. Some of his reflections of the family relationships, times and events in Rat Portage are not quite accurate.

Offline dec161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 April 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hell
I am new to RootsChat and just found this good information on Lang family.  I am interested in a brother of James and Walter.  This is Thomas, born in Sprouston 1861 and died in Galway 1936.  His son Norman, born in Londonderry 1895, had a number of children that ended up in Canada and/or the US.  I have some information on this line but would be grateful for contact information for anyone else looking into this line.

Offline Billk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 May 16 13:29 BST (UK) »
I have very little on Norman Lang, son of Thomas Lang, other than the following:

Attestation papers suggests he may have been born in 1895. At attestation he was 5'8.5" in height, 139 lbs, good physical development, having been vaccinated (presumably for smallpox) in infancy. Prior to enlisting he was a clerk. He crossed the Channel from Southampton to Le Havre on Oct 3/4 1915. Received 7 days punishment for neglect of duty- leaving a bicyle in a field uncleaned. Demobbed on 24 May 1919. Left France on 02 Jun 1919.

He was a Private in the 36th Ulster Divisional Train Army Service Corps, 253 Company Attached to the 11th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles.. His enlistment number was 036466. He was a Driver. (A train unit apparently was responsible for movement of troops primarily via train).

He died in Londonderry in 1945. I have no info on spouse or children.

Two of his brothers and, possibly, one sister did go to Canada. Christopher settled in Winnipeg. Leonard spent some time in the US then ended up in Canada, where he died. Margaret married a Canadian,Thomas Hunter. Not sure if they lived in Canada or Northern Ireland. She died in Londonderry and he died a few years later in Toronto.

Several of Thomas' siblings went to Canada; brothers Walter, James and George and sister Christina.