Author Topic: McFadyen/McLaurin  (Read 5733 times)

Offline paulbiddle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McFadyen/McLaurin
« on: Monday 02 November 09 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,does anybody have any info that can help me,My gt gt grandad was Gilbert McFadyen,his partner(i have been unable to find any marriage record) Hannah McLaurin, born around 1835 Port Charlotte Argyll,Hannas father was Malcolm McLauren i beleive he was a minister in Islay around 1800.

Offline fionaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McFadyen/McLaurin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, I know its a while since you posted your message and you may have found out all you wanted to know. Malcolm McLaurin was my g,g,g,grandfather. I too have found no marriage certificate for Hannah and Gilbert and my g,grandfather their son John is listed as illegitimate on his birth certificate.
I have some details which came via Hannah.  Malcolm and his wife Jane fundraised for and built a church in Port Charlotte which went on to become a village hall and a school and is now converted into flats. He died on Islay in 1859 I think and was survived by his wife. Which child of Gilbert and Hannah are you related to? Do you have any further findings

Offline paulbiddle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,im Jill actually,paul is my husband,when i first started the tree i didnt have an email address,so used his.My name is Jill Abbott,originally from Hawick Roxburgh,i now live in Warrington Cheshire.My mum was Margaret Armour Mcfadyen before she married her father was James Armour Mcfadyen,killed in action in WW2,his father was John Malcolm son of Gilbert mcfadyen and Hannah Mclaurin.I knew very little untill i started the tree,my mum was only two when her father was killed,most of the info to begin with came from snippits from my gt auntie Hannah Mcfadyen.I have gathered quite a bit of info on the Mclaurins and have birth and death records etc Malcolm McLaurin was a preacher in Argyle Portcharlotte,Jane his wife was Macdougall was a teacher in Stornaway before they married,she died in 1861 i have marriage and death records,they had two daughters Hannah and Sarah,Sarah died also in 1861 from typhus Hannah went on to live in sin it would seem!lol with my  my gt gt grandad Gilbert.i can share certs with you,i have a tree on ancestry,my email is (*) id love to share family info with you,though its a bit of a sad tale Jill

Offline paulbiddle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 10 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Emmmmm!!!!how can we both have the same gt grandad,we must be cousins

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 December 14 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I have a Gilbert McFadyen (b. ca. 1833 on Islay) in my tree (1st cousin 5x). My Gilbert's parents are James and Janet nee Campbell. His paternal grandparents are John and Flora nee Keith.

I'm a little unsure of my info so I'd be delighted if someone could confirm if this fits in with their Gilbert.

Many thanks,

Sharon
SCOTLAND  - Stevenson, Livingston, Cairns / Kearns, Chapman, McNally, Little (Lanarkshire)
IRELAND O'Connor, O'Regan, Frawley (Limerick), McCann, Austin, Pender (South County Dublin)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 January 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I am sorry but paulbiddle's email address is "over quota" so is not picking up his email notifications at the moment :-\ Maybe fiona is still in touch?

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 January 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the info.

Just to mention - I can't find a marriage cert for Gilbert & Hannah either...

S.
SCOTLAND  - Stevenson, Livingston, Cairns / Kearns, Chapman, McNally, Little (Lanarkshire)
IRELAND O'Connor, O'Regan, Frawley (Limerick), McCann, Austin, Pender (South County Dublin)

Offline Kevin Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 September 23 10:56 BST (UK) »
Interesting reference to Malcolm McLaurin itinerating preacher who settled at Port Charlotte in "The Gospel Traveller" by Meek (Tiree Books) just published, p. 22

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 September 23 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks