Author Topic: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda  (Read 35409 times)

Offline lorna llan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pubs and chapels in Bethesda
« on: Monday 02 November 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm in the last stages of preparing a map of Glanogwen Cemetery in Bethesda, for the book of gravestone transcriptions. Along with this will go a map showing as many addresses as possible in the Glanogwen parish. I have found about half of the 250 addresses using an old 6-inch map, and the street names are not a problem. However Bethesda was very rich in places of worship and places to drink and many are not there any more. Also, there were some shops....
I would appreciate any help with finding these places.

Britannia Inn   Crown Inn   Gerlan Inn   King's Arms   King's Head   Llangollen Hotel/Inn   Mona Inn   Queen Tavern   Royal Oak   Ship Inn   Stag Inn   Temperance Hotel   Victoria Hotel   Waterloo Hotel   Wellington Vaults

Capel Cwtta Braichmelyn   Siloam Street   Bryn Salem   Caer Salem    Ty Capel Jerusalem  Ty Capel   Ty Capel Tyn y maes   

Bodffordd House   Bontuchaf Shop  Caxton House   Crompton House   Lorne House   Manchester House Gerlan   Railway House   Sheffield House Carneddi   Victoria House

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 09 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna

I lived in Bethesda many years ago but none of these ring a bell!!

I lived in Bontuchaf and there was definitely no shop there  The nearest shop was along Carneddi Road, next door to the chapel.  The chapel has now been demolished and houses built there.

There was a house converted to a pub further along Carneddi Road.  If you came up from the village past Carneddi Infants School and turned left up the hill to Carneddi Road then turned left towards Rachub the "pub" was in one of the first few houses on the left hand side of the road.

Hope this is of some use.  PM me if you need any more info

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

Located a lot of your pubs. Will send you details when I've looked for the others, and the rest of your places/chapels etc.

Regards

Quarryman
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I should think that the Royal Oak listed is the present pub of that name on the square in Rachub; Quarryman will no doubt put you straight.
                       Pinot

Offline lorna llan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the Royal Oak collects all the business that was once taken in by the five pubs in a row that spread along that street. (I have had a close look at the 1880 census.)

It turns out there was another Royal Oak in Bethesda at one time, but I can't figure out where it was.

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi lorna,

Here is the first batch - they are all in High Street. Waterloo Inn (No.11), Queens (15), Menai (24), Ship (25), Virginia Vaults (28), Victoria (34) Britannia (37), Wellington (no number given), Royal Oak (no number given), Kings Head (51),  Crown (55), Coach and Horses (72), Queens Head (79), Blue Bell (81).

There appears to be another Ship somewhere between 37 and 51 High Street, and two Stars, one at 13 and the other at 88, but one may be the Stag.  Possible the Mona may be the Menai.

Will crack on

Regards

Quarryman

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna

There IS a Royal Oak in Rachub. Others for your Bethesda list: Sportsman (No 1 High Street), Swan (3), Bull Inn (75), Castle Inn (14), George Inn (55 Carneddi Road). The Stag is 13 High Street and the Star 83.

All the pubs I have given you are circa 1871.

More to follow.

Regards

Quarryman

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi   Lorna

It was the George that I remembered (but not the name!) in Carneddi Road.

I looked at Bontuchaf on the 1901 census and there was a "shop Bontuchaf".  Unfortunately there don't seem to numbers on that census - I'll have a look at some of the other censuses as it isn't clear which end they started at!!

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 November 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

Update: by 1891 most of the pubs had disappeared and new ones arrived; the Castle Inn was somewhere between 1 and 12 High Street, the Stag had become the Royal Stag Vaults and occupied 12/13, the Mona Inn was at 21, Llangollen Vaults at 29 (?), Britannia at 37 (?), Kings Head and Crown Inn somewhere between 37 and 72, occupied by the Coach and Horses, and the Blue Bell at 81 (?).

More (hopefully) follows.

Regards

Quarryman