Author Topic: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda  (Read 35266 times)

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs and chapels in Bethesda
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone!  I believe that the Evan and Mary that you have all found is very likely him.  Birth years seem to be accurate within a couple of years, and all of the other details match the little bit that we know, including the specific addresses throughout the census records.

I believe around 1904 (when it appears he passed away), his oldest son - also Evan G. Evans (my GG Grandfather) moved south to Mountain Ash, possibly due to the strike at the slate quarry, but now it appears that it may also have happened after his father passed away. 

I was able to roughly translate the death notice that was sent along, and now I will work to figure out his burial location (if one can be found).  Thank you all so very much for your help!

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 06:22 BST (UK) »
Llanllechid Parish church registers are on line at FindMyPast but I cannot see an entry for Evan Evans died late November 1904.

The newspaper item is a puzzle. Evan was found in the afternoon by his next door neighbour who had been popping in daily to check on him (he had been in poor health a number of years). Where was Mary and there is no mention of a Mrs Evans in the newspaper item. Wondered if Evan was a widower. If so, and the 1901 census is correct, Mary would have died 1901-1904 - but I cannot spot a death that fits this period.

Another possibility is that Mary died 1891 -1901 and Evan remarried a Llanllechid girl in this period, also a Mary - hence the confusion over the birth places in 1901. There are a dozen or so Caernarvonshire marriages - with 3 in Bangor - of Evan Evans marrying a Mary, 1891-1901. Oh the tribulations of researching the surname Evans in Wales!!

Apologies for the speculation and pob lŵc

Offline merchcymraeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
I also looked up Glanogwen and LLanllechid Burial records with no luck.  I agree with Hanes Teulu that Mary must have passed after April 1901
Griffith/Griffiths of Mold and Bethesda
Rowlands of Rachub, Bethesda
Rowlands, Thomas, Lewis - Pentraeth, Anglesey
Roberts - Amlwch
Williams - Benllech

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
There is a possibleMary on the 1911 Census (cannot post details - T&C Rootschat). It hinges on PoB - and links to PoB on the 1901 census.

FindMyPast has a burial at Glanogwen parish church for a Mary Evans, age 77, on Feb 12 1912, abode 1 Caerberllan, Bethesda. This is not the same address as the possible Mary on the 1911 census - but it is is the adjoining street.

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
Well that is interesting.  Curious that she wasn’t mentioned in her husbands death notice and possibly lived apart from him, who knows.  Will have to do more checking at Glanogwen when we go.  Thank you very much!

Offline merchcymraeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry Hanes Teulu, Caerberllan is not adjoining to Goronwy Street.  Caerberllan is a very small street at the foot of Braichmelyn.  It is one row of small houses just before you get to Bontwr.  Its very possible she may have moved there from Goronwy Street following the death of her husband, but I find it very strange that the husbands death was discovered by the neighbour and there's no mention of her in the death notice.
Roberts - Amlwch
Williams - Benllech

Offline merchcymraeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
I dont know if someone can confirm this but I believe Caerberllan Cottages were quarry workers houses built for purpose so to speak
thanks
Roberts - Amlwch
Williams - Benllech

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 12 April 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
Quick reply,

Yes indeed they are quarry workers houses and are in fact listed

https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/300018408-caerberllan-bethesda#.Ws6eZhPTU4N

M
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 12 April 18 04:33 BST (UK) »
I was using "adjoining" in the sense of "next to" not "joined to". I'd checked this 1914 map -

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/262732/366039/12/101050

(Note - you will need to use the zoom button (-) to view)

I was puzzled by the fact that Mary's 1912 address was "No. 1 Caerberllan" but "No. 1" did not exist on the 1911 census. I had hoped to find a link between the family at "No. 1 Caerberllan" in 1911 and Mary.

regards