Author Topic: Comiskey's In Abbeylara/Granard/Creevy  (Read 32940 times)

Offline Sean_Comiskey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Comiskey's In Abbeylara/Granard/Creevy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
At a guess probally are related somehow!

Hit i bit of a brick wall as regards my GG Grandparents, Like i said his name was Peter and thats about all the info i can find on the web - think a trip over to Longford/Dublin my be in order to further my investigations!
Comiskey (Donegal/Clonmany and Longford/Abbeylara/Creevy)
McElhenney (Donegal/ Clonmany/ Carndonagh)
Donaghue (Longford/ Abbeylara)

Offline Fullam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Sean,
Yes I do believe we are distant relations on my great great grandmother side.

It was by pure luck I chanced on your posting today, I saw another with a variation of spelling under "C" on the site. I then looked up Longford postings and found a man in New York asking the same question as your self.

I still have relations living in the places you have mentioned, Abbeylara, Granard and Creevy. They had never heard of my family in Liverpool.  but I could tell them of people in the 1800's who they had never heard of and farms where they lived.

However, the places to go in Dublin are the National Library in Kildare Street, on the ground floor on the right -hand side you will find a smal genealogy section. Here the people will help you for free they have books of people living at the relevant time of inquiry.
You can then go upstairs to the 1st floor and use the computers and ask to use the archives films of people. (It is free)

Then you can go to the National Archives in Bishop Street, of Aungier Street,
in the old Jacobs biscuit factory. You can join the library for free so take a passport with you to show you are a visitor. Go to the top floor and there are also people there who can help you. They are all very accommodating with the questions.  Take a good pair of glasses as the records are very difficult to read.

If you go up to Granard, stay in Michael Houricans Hotel, on Main Street. it is about 30 euros or so, B+B. You can use it as a base as Creevy and Abbeylara are nearby and taxis are reasonable.

If you go into a shop in Main Street called Kitty Drake-Farrell ask her or the supermarket Mc Brians, also the O'hara's pub for information of your family they should give you a fair idea.

You can later take a taxi to Longford town the library is near Tesco and the people there have a collection of records. However beware of "Longford Roots" genealogists, they are very expensive and do not know much.

A very distant cousin of mine in Herefordshire used them they virtually gave him some "Typing" as luck had it a lot of it was useful to me, but usekless to him. I was able to piece it together with other information from other sources.

In Dublin you will pay upto  50 Euro per night but there is an Hostel near the Customs House called Jacobs Inn a clean but basic place.

RiverHouse Hotel, Dublin
(see map) 3 Guest Ratings 5/5
Options available at this establishment: 1 people, 16/11/2009 - 18/11/2009
Option A    
[more details]
[hide more details]
   Total Price: 83.04€  VAT included    
Room 1 "Single Room ": Room with single bed/s and private bathroom.
date   Room 1   Daily Price
16/11/2009   1 person(s) x 35.24€    35.24€
17/11/2009   1 person(s) x 35.24€    35.24€
    Booking Fee   4.00€
    Tax (VAT)   8.56€
    Total Price   83.04€
    Payable Now   11.05€
Good Luck,

Offline Fullam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Sean try this email address for USA:
Fred Jaeger
Send email to (*)

He wrote on the County Longford board..........

Father of Teresa, Annie and Mary who all immigrated to New York, New York, New York, USA from 1905 to 1908. James remained in Ireland. We are trying to locate any relative of James to make a link back to the family that remained in Ireland. We believe that James may have been a widower and all connections to the three daughters were broken. James' wife was Elizabeth Clyne. Any information would be helpful. The surname could also be Commiskey or Comiskey

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Sean_Comiskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 November 09 08:15 GMT (UK) »
That great John,
Yeah i stayed at Jacobs inn with the wife last week!

I will look out for links to the names below,
Just remembered, I found the 1911 census return for my great-great Uncles

Cornelius Comiskey b 1880
Terrance Comiskey b 1887

They were in Creevy but and here's the potentially interesting part and potently a other link

Cornelius Comiskey married Bridgit had at least two children (1911 Census)
Joseph born 1905
Lizzie born 1903

just wondering if the children appear in your tree somewere?!

Offline Sean_Comiskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 November 09 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh, John
You cant post emails striaght onto the forum you have to send it private message!

Offline Fullam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 November 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Sean,
I only know of my forebear Honoria Comiskey. She was my grandfather grandmother.  She lived at the family farm in the 1852 local Griffiths valuation.
The problem is found in the loss of papers due to the IRA destroying the Customs House records in the troubles 1918-1922, and the later destruction during  the Civil War of 1922-1923 of the Four Courts.

The beauty however is that your surname is very rare in County Longford and especially around Granard.  It like mine very rare, however sadly there was a tradition in Ireland of a mood at that time of a form of death when a emigrant went away. I have a book here and I will look for the surname Comiskey.

When I went to Granard in 2004 nobody accepted me at first, as they had never heard of anybody in England related to them outside of their near relatives. I told them who my grand mother was and they were all amazed, as they had known her family since childhood and were all friends.

My very distant relatives still have a farm in  Creevy but , they are eccentric to say the least. Also there is strife in that family has a Fullam did not inherit the Fullam farm but a cousin. of the Fullam who does not like it.   I had a right ignorant reception there as It appears to me they thought I was after money.
Yet a another Fullam in Dublin form Granard was very friendly  has was one in lives in Essex.

Bridie Maguire she lives in Essex but was born here in Granard, told me that the man Comiskey that she knew was a retired Irish Prison officer. I stayed with some Americans cousins out in Finnea, they live in New York and Connecticut and have their family farm in Finnea. On the  Cara road from Granard they pointed to where they said the Comeskey family still live.

The other surnames will be harder to locate as they are several families with the same surname variant spellings  Donahoe = Donaghue etc.

I will try to contact the American Comiskey and pass this conversation on.

best regards,

John Liverpool

Offline Fullam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 November 09 14:28 GMT (UK) »
 Sean you can obtain information from the Longford records at 5 euro per name. They must have your people records
John Liverpool

187 matches for the search criteria: comiskey (plus variants)
Action   Source   Surname   First Name   Year   County   
   Church Baptism    Cumiskey    Judith    1793    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Cumiskey    Ann    1794    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Comiskey    Judith    1798    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Cumasky    James    1802    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Cumasky    Eugene    1803    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Cumasky    James    1804    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Cumasky    Mary    1806    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Cumisky    James    1811    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Comiskey    Thomas    1826    Co. Longford   
   Church Baptism    Comiskey    James    1827    Co. Longford   

Offline Fullam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 November 09 01:17 GMT (UK) »
 Sean these look interesting howevr I think the chaop in England is from the family of County Cavan. I have both emails so I will send them a line.
I also have these young girls at Ellis Island, they must be relatives of yours as they are both from Granard also.
John Liverpool

Teresa Mary Commiskey B 1893 Granard, Longford, Ireland
Posted by *****************************

I am trying to find any information on my Grand Mother Married John Redden June 27, 1915 St. Francis de Sale Church 136 E 95th St. NYC. Arrived Sept, 23, 1908 Age 16 Detained at Ellis Island for release to her Aunt Mary Byrnes. Father, James Comiskey/Cummiskey Mother, Eliza ? I belive she was orphaned and sent to America to live with her Aunt at 951 Madison Ave, NYC
: Teresa Mary Commiskey B 1893 Granard, Longford, Ireland
Posted by*******************
In Reply to: *******************
Hi

I have Comiskeys in my family 'tree' - just need to find the link.

Anyway, I found a Theresa Cumiskey baptism record on 20 August 1890 in the parish of Carrickedmond in County Longford. Daughter of James Cumiskey and Elizabeth Clyne, sponsors being Matthew Cumiskey and Rose Lennon.

Good chance this is your Theresa.

If you e-mail me (*),I will end you the copy.

Regards

Paul Harten

Bridget Comiskey, 19 years old May 4th 1912 .
ex Queenstown (Cobh) vessel Baltic,

Ellen Comiskey 22 years old 1st August 1901,
 ex Liverpool vessel Adriatic.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail address and other details  removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ClonmanyGenealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have some information for you regarding Thomas Comiskey and his wife Annie (nee McEleney) from Clonmany.  We are a local group called Clonmany Genealogy and are currently photographing and plotting all of the Clonmany Parish graveyards.  We just started St. Mary's RC Church graveyard this morning in fact and our mentor had flagged your message to me this evening.

I am attaching a photograph of the headstone I found for you. 

The headstone inscription is as follows:

"In loving memory of
Thomas H. Comiskey
died 23rd Jan 1955 aged 64
His wife Annie
(nee McElhinney)
died 29th Nov 1955 aged 64
Their infant son
Francis Norbert
and infant grandaughter
Angela".

There are still Comiskeys living in Clonmany.  Have you made contact with them?  There is a  "Comiskey's Bar" (photo also attached) and the owner is also a local undertaker.  One of our group members has also in fact married into the Comiskey family.

You can contact us via Facebook under CLONMANY GENEALOGY or if you message me privately I will forward an email address.

Hope this has been of help.

Clonmany Genealogy