Author Topic: Riley Smith of Royston  (Read 12413 times)

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
Riley Smith of Royston
« on: Tuesday 03 November 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I'm looking to find anyone who may have some info on Riley Smith, he was born in the ISLE OF ELY, CAMBRIDGESHIRE abt 1885, son of Aaron & Susan Smith ( gypsy's ), from what i can make out he spent most of his childhood around Hertfordshire.
 I believe he married someone by the name of Cinderella ( maiden name not known ) and settled in Royston where if what i've been told is true they had as many as ten or more children which were all girls and they were all named after different flowers.
 One more thing about Riley, he was said to have artificial legs but i don't know if this would've been through some sort of horrific accident or as a result of WW1, either way people often spoke of Riley's 'tin legs', it would be nice to find some info on him as he seems to be another one of my relatives to vanish without trace.

Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Riley Smith of Royston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 10:51 GMT (UK) »
He was living in Markyate Herts with his parents and siblings in 1901 - details on your earlier thread

Checking FreeBMD I am amazed at how many Riley Smiths there are

Knowing the Loveridge links, who's Humphrey Smith who married Cinderella Loveridge in Huntingdon in 1910?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 12:24 GMT (UK) »
That's a good question David, i know of a Humphrey Smith from Cambridge who was the nephew of Riley, he went by the name of 'Brummy' Smith and he was the son of my great aunt Emily 'Emmy' Smith but obviously this marriage in 1910 was far too early to be him so i'm wondering if the Humphrey you found could in fact be Riley, but the name change is really throwing me, Riley did appear on the 1911 census but again he was in Hertfordshire, but no matter how hard i try i just cannot find him in or around Cambridge. I contacted a relative quite a long time ago now who lives in Biggleswade and she would be the niece of Riley Smith although she never knew him, but she assured me that he lived most of his adult life in Royston and he was a knife grinder by trade as a lot of them were.
 Also, it's surprising how many Riley Smiths there are isn't it?
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I've just been checking the BMD records and i can't seem to find a death registration for Riley Smith, now, i spoke to my old mum and she told me that Riley came all the way over from Royston to Toddington to attend his sisters funeral, she was my nan, and that was in 1963 so he would have been roughly about 78yrs.

Regards
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
At the moment GRO death records 1963-83 haven't been indexed, so you have to plough the indexes through quarter by quarter. But if you can hang on for a month or so a well known genealogy company says that the index may come online in December, when it should be much easier to find him.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline brinkdec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also doing the PARKER,SMITH and LOVERIDGE family's from the same area, I used to Live round there (Royston) I have only just started looking at the family names recently. I have just started my mum side, My mum was a BRINKLEY and as far as I know her "cousins" was "The flower Girls"  the daughers of Riley SMITH My mum was born 1927, I have names but as yet no dates as I just started recently. I am still in contact with Riley side.
regards
pippi

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi pippi'
 Thank god, at last, someone who is researching the same family, ;D i was beginning to think that there wasn't anyone else related to my side of the family. My old mum always told me that Riley had quite a few daughters and they were all named after flowers, do you know the name of Riley's wife as i was led to believe her name was Cinderella ???, i have only just recently uncovered the Parker side of the family and i'm waiting for a birth certificate to arrive to confirm one or two things, and by the way!! my old nan 's name was Minnie Smith and she was one of Riley's sisters :D :D.

Best Wishes
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;

Offline brinkdec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi china, or may I say, cuz. ; I was told  there was 13 kids by Riley. Now as I said I have no dates as yet but, Do you realize there at least 3 Riley Smith from that line if not 4.

I no this group of SMITH as I used to hang about with them, yes they are a very large family. You will have trouble finding bapt etc because they used all three surnames simutainiously. If you no what I'M saying?

The Riley SMITH snr was with SAUGER or SAUGGEE PARKER. Married or not ?

Your nan was Riley sister which Riley?
regards
Pippi
" The flower Girls" Rose,poppy,pansy,violet,lille,daisy and ?

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
hi exekial. Ive tried pming you a few times, please come back to me I know we are connected now through several relations.
firstly Riley smith's wife was Cinderella parker daughter of Alfred loveridge and comfort parker my 3xggs.
they married in 1940 in saffron walden after being together quite a few years. They had 21 children. Atleast 2 of which are still alive. I am also now intouch with a couple of there grandchildren and great grandchildren.
riley died in 1974 and Cinderella shug/saugge in 1979.
 Rileys parents as you know where aaron smith and susan loveridge.
susan bn 1860 was daughter of Thomas loveridge and susan parker. Her sister tryphena partnered Edward loveridge and 3 of there daughters joined up with 3 sons of my 2 xgg Israel loveridge (son of alf and comfort) and eliza loveridge nee parker.
Susan and Tryphena's brother John partnered Mariah parker , sister of the above Eliza my 2 xgg.
Aaron's dad joseph smith was born c1825 to a lady called shelosmith? not sure on that one exactly.
They had a daughter called chrisane who partnered Despair Loveridge son of joseph loveridge.
Despair is possibly half brother to My Alfred Loveridge.
all very complicated but that is what my tree is like. There are so many connections with these parker/loveridge/draper/smith/Brinkley families of herts/Essex/beds/cambridgshire. Im having major headaches trying to work out all the links so if you who are also part of this line would like to contact me and we work together to solve this one I think it would be a great help to all of us.
this is a photo of riley smith in the flat cap. young chap is his son nelson and his wife rosie, daughter of jimmy Brinkley and Emily loveridge. (daughter of florabella loveridge, sister of my great granddad steve, and Solomon parker ,brother of Mariah and eliza see what I mean, complicated)
thanks tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire