Author Topic: Matthew Campbell of Pembroke; Descendants, George, Lettice & William Campbell.  (Read 8663 times)

Offline abergynolwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am seeking details of any descendants of Matthew Campbell, (1763-1823) who was Collector of Customs at Pembroke.

Campbell was married in 1805 to Anne Thomas (nee Adams) but had no legitimate children. However he had at least three illegitimate children by three different women.

1. George Campbell, 1812-????). George was born at Pembroke on 9th July 1812 and baptised at St Mary's, Pembroke, on 17th July 1812. George's mother was Mary Patterson, an illegitimate child who was baptised at St Mary's in 1798. She married William Hazelwood or Hasslewood, a shipwright at Pembroke Dockyard on 5th April 1818. George lived in the Hazelwoods' household for several years but I have no record of what happened to him. He seems to have disappeared from local records. William Hazelwood abandoned his family about 1823 and was said to have gone to America.

Mary Hazelwood eventually married John Row or Rowe, bachelor of Pembroke, on 25th September 1833. She may have been the mother of Jane Rowe, the daughter of John Rowe, joiner, who was baptised at St Mary's on 6th May 1836, but I am not sure. She was alive in 1841 because records show that she was then in Gaol but what happened to her after her release, or when she died, I do not know.

2.  Lettice, supposed daughter of Matthew Campbell Esq by Sarah Hill was bapt. at St Issels on 4.2.1812. This girl was living at the date of Campbell’s death in 1823. She was undoubtedly Lettice Campell [sic] who was buried at St Martin’s Haverfordwest in 1834.  A Sarah Hill, X, m. David Griffiths, Labourer, X, at Castlemartin on 1.4.1820.

3. William Campbell, the son of Elizabeth Roch, known as "Bessy", a prostitute of Pembroke. William Campbell was born on 24th October 1818 and baptised at St Mary's on 19th March 1819. He was still alive in March 1827 when the parish paid for clothing for him. He was very probably the same person as William Campbell, a tailor aged 32, born at Pembroke who was living in 1851 at 62 and 63 Crockherbtown, St John’s Parish, Cardiff, with his wife Louisa, a straw bonnet maker and their daughter Eliza Jane, aged 2.  Her birth registration (Eliza) is probably Jan/Feb/Mar 1849, Cardiff, XXVI 383. William appears to have died before 1861 since a Louisa Campbell, widow, aged 43, was living at 2 Paradise Place, St John’s, in 1861 with a 12 year old daughter called Eliza J. Campbell, born at Cardiff.  She was listed as a straw bonnet maker in Slater’s Commercial Directory, Cardiff, 1858-1859. William’s death registration is probably Oct/Nov/Dec 1856, Glamorgan, Vol 11a, p. 121

I already have a great deal of information about Matthew Campbell, but any information about George, Lettice and William Campbell and of their descendants will be very gladly received.  If anyone can also throw any light on the fates of William Hazelwood/Hasslewood and Mary Patterson/Hazelwood/Rowe I shall be very glad to hear of it.

N.B. I already have the information given about these persons in  Richard Rose's 'Pembroke People' (Otterquill Books, 2000), and hope that someone will be able to add further details.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Campbell of Pembroke; Descendants, George, Lettice & William Campbell.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
William Campbell of Crockherbtown was buried 13/10/1856 aged 36. There had been an earlier daughter as well.
Elizabeth dau of William & Louisa Mary bp 1/8/1847. She was buried 24/8/1847 aged 10 weeks.
2nd daughter Eliza Jane bp 11/2/1849 dau of above parents.
All events Cardiff St John. Baptisms and Elizabeth's burial are also in IGI batch C057901 Cardiff St John & St Mary.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline abergynolwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Campbell of Pembroke; Descendants, George, Lettice & William Campbel
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Osprey, for that very useful information.  I shall now get the death certificates and see what more I can find.
Best wishes,
Abergynolwyn.

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Campbell of Pembroke; Descendants, George, Lettice & William Campbell.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 09 15:57 GMT (UK) »
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Burial Register for the period 1813 to 1839 I note
Anne Campbell of Pembroke buried 15 Apr 1837 aged 76 yrs by C. Phillips
Matthew Campbell of Pembroke was buried 04 Aug 1823 aged 60 yrs by C. Phillips.
As I understand it the old brewery opposite the Castle entrance is the site of the old customs house in the time of your ancestor and mine (William Oriel) mid to late 18th century.
I can confirm there is no reference to the Campbell surname in Pembs St Mary Baptism registers 1711 to 1847 I havn't checked my index 1847 to 1961 yet.
Your Matthew is well written up in Pembroke People by Richard Rose.  He kept a diary on his entertaining of certain ladies of ill reput in his privy in West Gate(to the rear of the possible Customs House), and appears to have enjoyed social intercourse with the parents of such ladies, one instance may well be Catherine Oriel who was known to receive payment for her time and energies, her lightly father George owned the Green Mead on the site of the now FBM estate agents/power club.
George too had his run in with authority not least the riot act being read - twice - for him and his boys playing football in Main St on a Shrove Tuesday.
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Mrge Register 1803 to 1812 I note
Matthew Campbell of Pembroke St Mary mrd Anne Thomas of Pembroke St Mary by Licence in front of Nichs Roch. Both signed their names in the presence of (Name U/R) and Jas Adams.
Of course one only had to reside in a parish for a minimum of 6 weeks to be of that parish at mrge, and therefore the parish shown at mrge may bear no relation to the parish of birth or even baptism.
Hope this is of interest
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
With reference to the baptism's you mention and Pembroke People makes reference to :~ from my index of Pembroke St Michael Baptism register 1813 to 1837 I note
27 Dec 1815 Matthew the natural son of Sarah Cockram of the Eastend no occupation shown baptised by Wm Lloyd.
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register 1748 to 1812 I note the following ;
07 July 1812 George the natural child of Mary Patterson baptised.
From the same Baptism Register another Patterson is;
24 Jan 1798 Mary Paterson a natural child baptised
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register 1813 to 1822 I note;
19 Mar 1819 William to Elizabeth Roch of Pembroke baptised by C. Phillipps. This child is declared a natural son.
From my index of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1711 to 2006 I note there is no reference to the surname Campbell, which I find rather unusual.
Turning to my other index of Burgess of Pembroke Borough for the period of 1678 to 1763 I note that John Campbell Esqr was listed as Burgess 1740 to 1761 and in that year of 1761 he is shown as an Alderman.
There are two index's in my Burgess Collection because the information came from two different sources for the periods shown therefore I have kept them apart.
Turning to my transcription of the Pembroke Borough Accounts for the period 1770 to 1789 there is just one mention of the surname Campbell that is ;
26 Jan 1790 By cash received of J. Campbell 1 years rent for the Watch House due Michs last the sum of 10 shillings.
Where or what is the “Watch House” is it a reference to the Customs House, or could it be the Watch Tower that stood on the foreshore of Paterchurch and now stands within the Dockyard in the area that would be known as Paterchurch Dockyard but being renamed in 1817 to Pembroke Dock.
I’m afraid there is no reference to the Campbell surname in my transcriptions of the Borough accounts for the periods 1811 to 1820 and for 1824 to 1835.
From my index of all names, places, relationships shown in every will proven at the E.C.C. of St Davids for the parish of Rhos Crowther I note just one reference to the surname of your interest that of John Hooke Campbell who is mention as a “Lessor” in the will of Thomas Aveston of Holy Bush Rhos Crowther the will made 12 July 1813 was probated 23 July 1813 is reference nbr 1813/001 and free on the NLoW website to download, any problem I can supply you a copy of the will extract in my own format.
I would also direct you to look at the following link ;

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Pemtax1.html

Where you will find a number of references to the surname of your interest not least the renting of a horse by George Oriel to Matthew Campbell. It is also possible you may recognize the author of this listing.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 09 17:23 GMT (UK) »
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register 1822 to 1847 I note;
29 June 1825 Mary Anne of Mary Hazlewood of Dunn’s Row bpatised by C. Phillipps
Note that under the column occupation it states ; her husband said to have been in America for the year previous to the birth.
23 Apr 1834 John the natural son of Matilda Hazzlewood of the Dock baptized by J. Dalton.
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Burial for the period 1813 to 1839 I note
Mary Ann Hazlewood of Dunn’s Row buried 16 Dec 1825 aged 07 months by C. Philipps
William Rowe of the Dock buried 25 Nov 1836 aged 16 yrs by J. Dalton.
William Nester Rowe of the Dock buried 06 Nov 1837 aged 06 weeks by J. Dalton.
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Burial Register 1839 to 1882
Mary Rowe of the Dock buried 10 Feb 1842 aged 59 yrs by J. Dalton
Mary Rowe of Moncton Lane buried 16 Apr 1866 aged 64 yrs by D.W. Morris
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Burial Register 1883 to 1913
15 Feb 1886 Thomas Hazelwood of Golden Hill buried aged 64 yrs certified by Charles Hicks
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Mrge Register 1813 to 1832
05 Apr 1818 William Hazlewood otp a bach mrd Mary Anne Paterson otp a spin by licence in front of Charles Philipps. Both signed their names in the presence of James Pudnor and Mary Miller.
25 May 1824 James Jenkins of Moncton no status shown mrd Elizabeth Cockram otp a spinster by banns in front of Charles Philipps James signed his name and Elizabeth made her mark in the presence of James Mitchell and George Froyne.
(Please note George Froyne was Parish Clerk at this time)
From my index of Pembroke St Mary Mrge Register 1832 to 1837
25 Sept 1833 John Row otp a bach mrd Mary Hazzlewood otp a widow by banns in front of James Dalton. Both made their mark in the presence of George (X) Rossant and George Froyne
I think the following is highly doubtfull to your research however from my index of Pembroke St Michael Register 1837 to 1908 I note
08 Feb 1873 William Campbell aged 22 a bach and private of the 13th light infantry 2nd Batt of the Eastend the son of John Campbell dec’d a private in 13th Light Infantry 1st Batt mrd Ellen Macken aged 22 a spinster of St Michaels the dau of Thomas Macken(dec’d) a shoemaker by Certificate in front of Henry S. Blink. Both signed their names in the presence of Mary Ellen Jones and George Froyne.
From my index of Pembroke St Michael Burial Register 1846 to 1870 I note
27 July 1853 Elizabeth Rowe of the Union House aged 06 by W.M.D. Berrington
20 Aug 1849 Mary Rowe of the Union House aged 05 by W.M.D. Berrinton.
I think that’s about all I can offer, I just hope not too much is a duplication of your own efforts. If you believe I can assist you any further do not hesitate to let me know.
Rgds
Orielbenfro 
1946-2015

Offline abergynolwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Orielbenfro, for your extraordinary efforts on my queries.  After putting you to so much work I feel almost ashamed to say that I already have every one of the Campbell and Hazelwood entries you mention, except for the 1873 Campbell one which isn't relevant to my research.

However,  certain of the Rowe entries, and I'm very grateful for them, are new to me.  Mary Rowe of Moncton Lane sounds a possible candidate for Mary Hazelwood though her actual age would have been about 68 if she was the Mary Hazelwood baptised in 1798.  Worth my getting the death certificate anyway.

One tiny correction for your excellent list;  I think the witness at Mary Patterson's wedding was Henry Miller rather than Mary Miller.

John Campbell, burgess from 1740 to 1761, was of Stackpole Court and the grandfather of J[ohn] Campbell, lessee of the Watch House in 1790 who was later Lord Cawdor.  I have no idea where or what the Watch House was, but I suspect it may have been the town lock-up.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Abergynolwyn

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 November 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
It most certainly was not the lock up in Westgate, the only lockup in Pembroke, unless one includes the Public Stocks in Main Street below the Elm Tree. I know a couple of poeple I can ask in the near future.
Sorry but I stick to Mary Miller as wittness, will double check.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline abergynolwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Campbell of Pembroke; Descendants, George, Lettice & William Campbel
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 09 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I recall seeing 'Watch House' used with the meaning of Lock-up or a shelter for Constables in other Georgian towns so I supposed that this might also have related to Pembroke.

As to Mary or Henry Miller, I defer to the Authorised Version - by which I mean Mr Rose's 'Pembroke People'.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Abergynolwyn