Author Topic: Henry family, Fairview, etc.  (Read 15690 times)

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry family, Fairview, etc.
« on: Tuesday 03 November 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
My gt x2 grandfather was Robert John Henry who died at Bordeaux 3/8/1866.  Robert John's letters of administration gives his address as: 'late of Drumlambf House in the County of Derry in Ireland'.  Incidentally my Robert John Henry was an army officer.

I understand that Robert John's father was James Henry who died at Fairview Castledawson 24/11/1851.  James' widow Elizabeth died 12/4/1866 at Morville Rectory Londonderry.

Rev Robert Henry (James Henry's father) died at Fairview Castledawson16/12/1802

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drumlamph House
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Robert J. Henry, Esq. of Drumlamph House, died 24 June 1866 at Bordeaux- late Captain 4th Dragoon Guards

Elizabeth Henry died 11 Apr.1866 at Moville Rectory, Co. Donegal- late husband was James Henry, Esq., of Drumlamph, county Londonderry.

James Henry (age 87) died 24 Nov.1850 at Fairview House, Co. Londonderry.

Possibly child of James and Elizabeth Henry: daughter born 27 July 1831 Fairview.

Marriage of Robert Henry: 11 May 1854 St. Petrox [Petroc's?] Church, Dartmouth- Capt. R.J. Henry, 4th Dragoon Guards of Fairview Co.Derry, to Eliza Ann, only daughter of Captain Forester, Royal Artillery, of the Wilderness, Dartmouth.

Possibly child of Robert Henry: son born 22 Sept.1855 Rathbone's Hotel, Kingstown (father Capt. Henry, 4th Dragoon Guards)- survived only a few hours.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
A bit more about this Henry family in case it's of interest-

Elizabeth Jane Henry, only daughter of late James Henry of Fairview married 14 June 1860 St. Anne's Church, Dublin to Rev. William Major, Rector of Upper Moville (Diocese of Derry).
-this explains why her mother died in Moville Rectory in 1866.

Let me know if you can more details.

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that's amazing!  Thank you so much - absolutely delighted! 

I have a large mourning portrait painted in 1862 of my great grandfather (Edward Cecil Christy Henry born 1858) holding a dead finch!    I always wondered who might have died ...   Do you know the infant's name?  So both this infant and E C C Henry were born in Dublin.

The couple had one other child - Jocelyn James Coghill Henry born 1861 in Torquay

Sadly Robert John Henry and Eliza Mary Ann divorced in 1860 - she was the petitioner.

On rechecking Robert John Henry's death, I see letters of administration were granted 3/8/1866, his death was actually 23/6/1866.

James Henry's will was proved 1851 - I knew he died 24th November.  My error, many thanks for the correction!   James' wife Elizabeth was aged 79 when she died in 1866, and yes you're correct again, she died at Moville Rectory. 

My understanding is that James Henry & Elizabeth had several children in addition to Robert John:  Eliza Jean baptised 2/9/1831, Annie  & Sarah (possibly twins) baptised 18/2/1833, presumably the birth to which you refer is that of Eliza Jean.  So Eliza Jean turns out to be Elizabeth Jane!    Do you know when her sisters died? 

Please could you repeat the date of Elizabeth Jane's marriage - a digit is missing from the year.

The Rev Robert Henry who died at Fairview 1802 was aged 96 years.  He had been a minister in Castledawson Presbyterian Church 57 years - ordained 7/6/1743 and resigned his ministry 28/10/1798.

James Henry had at least one brother, John born 11/11/1761 at Fairview Castledawson, died in Richmond  Virginia 21/8/1807.  He was buried in Grace Episcopal Churchyard, Yorktown Cemetery VA - grave stone erected by James.

And, what is your interest in the family?

Many thanks for all your comments & info - all very much appreciated.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry family, Fairview, etc.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
just another wee snipet.

willam miller major was his full name and his father was james major.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Have split the posts on these Henry from the Drumlamph thread to avoid confusion.

"Possibly child of Robert Henry: son born 22 Sept.1855 Rathbone's Hotel, Kingstown (father Capt. Henry, 4th Dragoon Guards)- survived only a few hours."
-child only lived a few hours and was not named in paper. It's possible that it wasn't baptised and was never given a name. The child was born at Kingstown (now Dun Laoghaire) not Dublin.

Robert Henry's death date 24 June 1866 from newspaper obituary.

Daughter of Rev. W.M Major, Prebendary of Moville, born 22 July 1862.

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you both, all 'snipets' are very much appreciated..

Please could you tell me which newspapers reported the deaths of Capt R J Henry in 1866 & his "possible" son in 1855.

I would especially like to read the report on the infant's death - army records state that Capt R J Henry served in the Crimea from 1st October 1854 to 9th September 1855...   

Does anyone know how my gt x2 grandfather Capt Robert John Henry is related to R John Henry of Fairview?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Please could you tell me which newspapers reported the deaths of Capt R J Henry in 1866 & his "possible" son in 1855.
I would especially like to read the report on the infant's death - army records state that Capt R J Henry served in the Crimea from 1st October 1854 to 9th September 1855...   

Londonderry Sentinel but there was no 'report' of child's death- just simple announcement with no further details.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how my gt x2 grandfather Capt Robert John Henry is related to R John Henry of Fairview?

Not sure if I follow this- Capt. Robert John Henry, 4th Dragoons (your ancestor) is given 'of Fairview' in the material I posted above which refers to his (or his father's) residence in Co. Londonderry.