Author Topic: Henry family, Fairview, etc.  (Read 15682 times)

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry family, Fairview, etc.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the newspaper info.    I've had a brief search for the death notices, but without success, will try again tomorrow.  I assume the mourning portrait is connected to the infant's death...the couple lived apart virtually their entire married life and divorced in 1860.

Baptismal records confirm my ancestor, Capt R.J. Henry, was baptised 8/9/1829 at Castledawson Presbyterian Church, the son of James Henry of Fairview.     Incidentally, Eliza Mary Anne's maiden name was Forster, not Forester (she was born at Southend, Sydenham in 1833).

In 1861 there appear to be two R J Henry's - 'my' Capt Robert John Henry and R John Henry the magistrate of Fairview.  Does anyone know how these two people are related - could they be the same individual? 

I've just re-checked James Henry's death - the Gentleman's Mag, Page 110 definitely gives the date as 24/11/1851.  His will was also proved in 1851..

Attached: Letters of Administration confirming the death date of R J Henry as 23/6/1866

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 June 11 14:42 BST (UK) »
An update on the Henry family:

James Henry married Elizabeth Holland  7/12/1827 at Faughanvale Co. Derry  - it was a Church of Ireland ceremony; James was Presbyterian.

The certificate confirms that James lived at Fairview Castledawson, his wife came from Carrowreagh*, Finvoy, Antrim.          [* Spelling on the marriage certificate - Carryreagh]

Elizabeth Henry (neé Holland) died 11/4/1866 aged 80 years at Rectory House, Moville, Co. Donegal.  The death certificate says she was a 'gardener's widow'. 

Their daughter Elizabeth Jane did indeed marry William Miller Major at St Anne's Church Dublin on 14/6/1860.  One of the wedding witnesses was my great X2 grandfather, Robert John Henry, the other witness was John Collir(?) Major.  Elizabeth's address at marriage was 3 Clare Street Dublin.  James Miller Major's address was Rectory House Morville, Co. Derry.

Elizabeth Jane was baptised as Eliz Jean Henery on 2/9/1831 at Castledawson Presbyterian Church.

I would like to know more about James' occupation - was he a landscape gardener?

Also, can anyone help me with Elizabeth Holland's ancestry?

Many thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 June 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
The townland is Carrowreagh.

Perhaps better to start a new query on ANTRIM board instead of details of Holland family being posted here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Annette54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 03:53 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Miller Family and can confirm the Henry family connection to Major Family.

Rev William Miller Major, Rector of Culmore, Canon of Derry and Rural Dean of Morville, Co. Derry married Elizabeth Jane Henry at St Anne, Dublin on 14 June 1860.  Witnesses to the marriage were John Croker Major (brother of William Miller Major) and Robert John Henry.

Elizabeth Jane Henry (died 1913) was the daughter of James Henry Esq. of Drumlamph Co. Londonderry.

Their daugher Elizabeth Catherine Major married William Louis Gilliland Esq, Barrister of Eshcol (died 1904).

The children from this marriage were:

Daughter: Louise Elizabeth Frances Gelliland
Son:  William Miller Major Gelliland, Lieut. R Inniskilling Fusiliers, b. 1894, killed in action 1915 Helles (Gallipoli campaign, Turkey).

Rev William Miller Major was the son of Catherine Miller and James Major QC.  Catherine Miller was the daughter of William Miller, Collector of Excise for Londonderry and Catherine Croker, the daughter of John Croker of Waterford, Surveyor General of Ireland for Customs and Excise and half sister of John Wilson Croker MP.

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Annette54.

Just to add to your info, Louise Elizabeth Frances Gilliland married Cyril Bland Aylward in 1922 at St Martins in London. Cyril died in 1971 but am uncertain when Louise died...think it may have been sometime during the 1950's.

Capt. Robert John Henry (Elizabeth Jane Henry's brother) was my great X2 grandfather.

Do you know anything more about the Henry family, in particular James Henry of Drumlamph and his wife Elizabeth Holland (nee Christy)?

How are you connected with the Miller family?

Offline Annette54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 December 12 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Miller that married James Major QC was the eldest daughter of William Miller, the Collector of Excise for Londonderry. On 22 May 1824, there is a newspaper report of the death of James Major Esq at Kilmallock, an Officer of Excise.  The fathers appear to have had a professional connection.

I am descended from William Miller's third son Croker Miller.  William purchased a position of ensign in th 17th Regt for his son Croker.  His first deployment was a guard on a convict ship to Sydney, Australia in 1830.  In Sydney, Croker met and married Matilda Kinchela, the daughter of John Kinchela, Attorney General of then Colony of New South Wales. The regiment then went to India.  Matilda followed her husband to India.  Eventually they returned to Ireland.  My great grandfather was born in Ireland.  Some of the family including my great grandfather, Rowley Croker Miller returned to live in Australia.

William Miller was the eldest son of John Miller and Margaret Oulton.  John Miller was  the Agent that managed the estate at Moneymore firstly for Sir William Rowley for 37 years.  When Sir William Rowley's lease expired and reverted back to the Worshipful Drapers' Company of London, John Miller continued to manage the estate at Moneymore for the Drapers Company.  When John died, the position passed to his sixth son, Rowley Miller.  Rowley was then joined in a joint agency with his son John Rowley Miller. On the death of John Rowley Miller, John Rowley's son Henry Rowley Miller became Assistant agent at Moneymore along side his grandfather. He became Agent on the death of his grandfather in 1866 and held the position until his death in 1873.

John Miller was the son of Robert Miller of Coleraine and Mary Ann Gamble, daughter of William Gamble Esq of Derry.  This is as far back as I have been able to connect.

My research interest is in the Miller family.  I just recently came across the connection to the Henry family, so I have not pursued the link in any detail.  Below is the information that I have researched:

Rev WILLIAM MILLER MAJOR (?-1894)
William Miller Major obtained a BA (1847) and MA (1860) and was appointed Deacon at Cork on 26th May 1850. He was Rector of Culmore, Canon of Derry and Rural Dean of Moville, Co. Derry. On 14th June 1860, he married Elizabeth Jane Henry of 3 Clare St, Dublin, daughter of Elizabeth and James Henry Esq of Drumlamph, Co. Londonderry.  His mother-in-law, Elizabeth Henry died at their residence, Moville Rectory on 11th April 1866.  William Miller Major died in 1894.  Elizabeth Jane Major died in 1913.   

I am uncertain of the date of birth for William Miller Major.  The newspapers reported the births of sons to Catherine at her father's residence at Bellemonte in 1822, 1823, 1826.  John Croker Major was born in 1831. An unknown son was born in 1833 and George Hill Major was born in 1834.

From an ebook extract on Landed gentry, I found the information on the Gelliland connection.

Daughter: ELIZABETH CATHERINE MAJOR
Elizabeth Catherine Major married William Louis Gilliland Esq, a Barrister of Eshcol in 1888.  William Louis Gilliland died in 1904.

There were two children:
Daughter:  LOUISE ELIZABETH FRANCES GELLILAND
Louise Elizabeth Frances Gelliland married Cyril Bland, only son of Sydney and Aylward Bland of Bournemouth, on June 6, 1922, at St James's, Piccadilly.

My information on the place of the wedding differs slightly to yours.  I think I got the information from the Diamond Memorial Project website.  What is your source?  The Miller is spelt incorrectly on the site, so this could be another error.

Son:  Lieut. WILLIAM MILLER MAJOR GELLILAND
William Miller Major Gilliland was gazetted to the 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on February 25, 1914, and accompanied his battalion to France as part of the Expeditionary Force. He was wounded at the battle of Le Cateau (receiving a bullet in his right wrist, a shattered hand, and a shrapnel wound on the leg) in August 1914, and on his recovery was attached to the 3rd Battalion of his regiment until February 1915, when he joined the 1st Battalion, and proceeded with them as part of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. He was killed in action near Krithia, Gallipoli Peninsula, 28th April, 1915, aged 20.  He is interred in Pink Farm Cemetery, Helles.   His name is on the Diamond War Memorial and also on All Saints' Church (Church of Ireland), Clooney Parish, 1914-18 Roll of Honour. There is also a brass plaque in the church.

William Miller Major Gelliland information in on the Diamond Memorial Project website.  Interestingly two of Rowley Miller's descendants also served in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers:  Lieut Alexander Rowley Miller who died in South Africa in 1902 (Boer War) and Inglis Francis Rowley Miller who died in 1914 in France.  My grandfather Alexander Croker Miller also fought a Gallipoli and fortunately survived both Gallipoli and the Western Front.

At the moment I am pursuing the Major family connection to the Miller family and trying to sort out which are connected.  If I find any other information, I will pass it on.

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 December 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Annette54

Many thanks for pointing out my error!     Excellent!   :)

I see why I recorded the marriage of Louise Frances Gilliland and Cyril Bland Aylward as having taken place at St Martins - they married in the registration district of St Martins!  Ref: Registration Index of Marriages, April - June Quarter, Vol 1a, page 1332, 1922.  [Uncertain about second numeral of the page number - indistinct printing.]

Very interested to read about the Miller family's OZ connection.

According to newspaper advertisements only recently discovered, Louisa Elizabeth Frances Aylward [WILL c 1954] bequeathed items to my grandmother Mabel [grand daughter of Robert John Henry] and my uncle, and also to a Maud Stacey Smith.   

Unfortunately Louise must have lost touch with Mabel; my grandmother's name had changed as she'd remarried and by the 1950's, she had been residing in South Africa a good 15 years.  My uncle in 1954 had been living in Australia at least twenty years. 

I have no information regarding Maud Stacey Smith do you know who she was?

Offline Annette54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 December 12 06:35 GMT (UK) »
I've just realised I have another Henry family connection to the Miller family.

I have a Thomas Torrens Rowley Miller (1812-1852), son of Rowley Miller who married an Anne Henry in 1836.  Thomas was a Barrister and they lived at 69 Abbey Street, Dublin. Thomas was a first cousin of Catherine (Miller) Major, the mother of Rev William Miller Major.

They had two sons:
1.  Rowley Miller, a Lieut 88th Regiment who died in India in 1860

2.  Torrens Rowley Miller born 1846, who married Bethia Isabella Mary Dunlop, only daughter of George Dunlop, Esq, late of Gogar House, near Edinburgh, near Reading, Berkshire, England on 10th March 1872.  He was a school master. There were five children Florence Bethia Torrens Miller, George Alexander Rowley Miller, Walter McCulloch Charles Rowley Miller, Anna Mary Spens Miller, Maud Lilian Miller (who married Ernest John Bird) and Irene Helen Rowley Miller.

Is Anne Henry connected to your family?

Annette

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 December 12 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Annette54 many thanks! 

The simple answer is, I don't know...   The occupation of law would fit.... James Henry's grandson, my great X1 grandfather, was a barrister....

James Henry was aged 87 when he died in 1850 at Fairview House, Castledawson.   
James' wife, Elizabeth Holland (nee Christie) whom he married in 1827 at Faughanvale, was aged 79 when she died in 1866 at Moville Rectory, so she was clearly not Anne Henry's mother.

I have James Henry's 34 page WILL signed 22/3/1849
   He names his children as:
1. Elizabeth Jane Henry - his eldest daughter born 27/7/1831 at Fairview Castledawson and baptised 2/9/1831 at the Castledawson Presbyterian Church

2. Anne Sarah Henry baptised 18/2/1833 at Castledawson Presbyterian Church - another daughter

3. Robert John Henry baptised 8/9/1829 at Castledawson Presbyterian Church  - the main beneficiary (my great X2 grandfather)

Also mentioned his sisters:
the estate of the late Elizabeth Henry
Jane Henry a beneficiary of Elizabeth Henry's WILL

William Graves is another large beneficiary of James' WILL.   William Graves is connected to the Graves family of Gravesend Villa, Castledawson, what I don't know is the actual relationship between the Graves, the Christie and the Henry families.

Clearly, from James' WILL, the Anne Henry who married Thomas Torrens Rowley Miller in 1836 was NOT James' daughter.     

So it's definitely 'back to the drawing board' for me....