Author Topic: Bede House Row,Oakham  (Read 14610 times)

Offline cooperman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bede House Row,Oakham
« on: Friday 06 November 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Just found via the 1911 census a relative (John Bolton & family) living in Bede House Row,Oakham.
Does anybody know if it still exists or are there any pictures in existence showing the 'row'?

Thank You

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"<br /><br />Cooper: Yorkshire<br />Bolton : Oxford<br />Frampton: Kent<br />Smoker: Kent<br />Starling : Norfolk & Kent<br />Overton :Lincolnshire<br />Browne : Norfolk & Kent<br />Fowler: Lincolnshire

Offline peterlo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bede House Row,Oakham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 10 01:37 GMT (UK) »
I have just recently discovered on 1851 Census that my 3XGrt Grandparents were living at Bede House Row in Oakham Rutland

Joseph LOVE and wife Elizabeth (nee HARGREAVES)

I  would like to hear from you re any information on Bede House Row

Names I am researching in Rutland and Leicestershire

COOPER HOLLAND LOVE HARGREAVES CHRISTIAN GRICE BAINES FREEMAN SHELTON JOHNSON etc ......

Regards

Helen

Offline JillyNutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
HI

I'm off up to Oakham next week to visit family, do you have any more info about Bede House Row and I'll see if I can take a photo of the area and send it to you.

Jill

Offline peterlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Nice to hear from you

My Grt Grt Grandmother Sarah LOVE b 1812 Oakham (marr to Joseph COOPER  1835 at Brooke Rutland) had two brothers  who were living  at 'Bede House Row' according to 1851 Census

Samuel bap 1824 Oakham  and William bap 1828 Oakham

I have gone right back to Christopher LOVE (6xGrt) m 1717 to Martha WOODS in Hambleton

Thank you so so much Jill for contacting

Enjoy your trip

Cheers,

From Helen

Offline JillyNutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

My husband has some of the Love family in his tree originating from Ketton & Kimbolton in Huntingdonshire - I bet there is a connection somewhere.

I'll pop into Oakham museum next week to see if I can find Bede House Row.

Jill

Offline peterlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jill

I have some Pedigree charts here of LOVE family if you would like
I can send on to your email address

Thank you once again

From Helen

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 10:34 BST (UK) »
from googling it looks like Bede House Row was a row of 8 cottages which have been convereted int he 1990's

this may help

http://www.oakhamtowncouncil.gov.uk/Oakham%20Leaflet%20for%20web%202009.pdf
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline peterlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for website Toni

Really appreciate your help

Cheers

from Helen in Victoria Australia

Offline JillyNutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

I'm beginning to think that Bede House Row must have been close to where I was born and grew up.  I've looked on the census docsand it appears to be close to St Johns and St Annes Church/hospital, in Gas St - later called William Dalby Street.  William Dalby Street ran onto Westgate and I think Bede House Row may have been in between.  I was born in 13 Westgate - possibly a stones throw away!

Oakham Council in their wisdom decided to build a large bridge over the centre of Oakham back in the 60s & 70s and slapped compulsory purchases on many of the houses in that area.  The empty houses soon became derelict and they knocked many of them down.  Fortunately, they ran out of money before they built the bridge and started to redevelop the neighbourhood in the 80s.  I suspect that Bede House Row was demolished as part of this redevelopment sadly.

I've attached an old photo of Westgate looking towards William Dalby St.  The bike is propped up against our house (no. 13).  In the background you can see an old stone wall infront of a greenhouse.  This stone wall belonged to St Johns and St Annes.  I think that may be Bede House Row may have been the row of houses between the car and the stone wall? Or it may have been on the opposite side of the road just past the pub called the Kings Head (you can't see it from this photo as it juts in but you can see the start of the next row of houses). 

I was quite young when they knocked the houses down on the right hand side (the ones I think may be Bede House Row) but I remember that there you went through a passage and there were some other houses around the back too.  It was quite a poor area.

Jill