Author Topic: Spalding maps circa 1860  (Read 21409 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Spalding maps circa 1860
« on: Friday 06 November 09 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to a map of Spalding around 1860 I would like to know where the slipway was? I have managed to find the inquest records for the death of a  great great grandfather. One of the witness statements says that they were fishing at the Reservoir and the next word looks like by (then two indecipherable words) the next word could be either and or old. The next word is slipway. The sentence reads, We were fishing by ******  and/old slipway.

They lived in Little London so I suppose they would have fished close to home but that's only a guess.

Also what would they have been fishing for does anyone know? ::)

Margaret

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Spalding maps circa 1860
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Try the first edition of the Ordnance Survey. As to what they were fishing for, I don't know for certain but as one who lived in the fens for some years I would suggest eels.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 09 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I thought it could be eels as well.  On all the censuses he says fisherman so I had been thinking more of the sea but according to the inquest report they fished on the Fens so it is more likely to be eels as you say.

Thanks for advice about the maps I'll try it now.

Margaret :D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Margaret, Did you find the local papers? If you can they should give you most if not allof the information you are looking for, and would probably be complementary to a local map. Well done with the inquest papers.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger

The only papers I found were on the LFHS web site and I couldn't find anything. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Margaret

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 November 09 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes Margaret, Your first call should be at your local reference library if you are in Lincolnshire, or a Lincs. Library if you are not. Ask them what papers circulated in the area at the time (c1860). They will probably have them on microfilm somewhere in the organization, start the day after the death and work forwards.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 November 09 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I live outside Manchester so I can't visit the library but I will write to them as you suggest. I love looking at old newspapers and usually get distracted and end up reading every page word for word.

Do you know the history of the fishing industry in Spalding as there were lots of other branches on this line who are fishermen and I'm sure that the fens couldn't have provided enough eels for Spalding?

I'm an historian so have to know everything I can about the area or subject I am researching. LOL

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Margaret

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 November 09 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I just tried googling Fishing industry at Spalding, and found that the Coat of Arms granted 1230 AD incorporates a starfish commemorating the fishing industry, so it goes back a long way. Today there are fishing boats at Boston and King's Lynn which exploit the shellfish in the Wash. In the 19th century Spalding could also have been involved, but I don't know for sure.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I always seem to use the wrong words when I google things. LOL

It does look like it was just shallow water fishing rather than deep sea doesn't it. I'll try googling it now. Thanks for the idea Roger.

margaret