Author Topic: Spalding maps circa 1860  (Read 21419 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Spalding maps circa 1860
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 November 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
As i believe I mentioned in a previous posting on this thread, the flooding in February 2009 shows the danger of building or living on a flood plain, and yet we continue to do it, and then moan when there are floods!!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 November 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
You are so right. The poor man in the photo must have be devastated when he saw what was happening..

The same thing must have happened during the 19C I wonder if they made provision for it when they built their houses?

I can't understand why people buy houses near a river or the sea if there is a chance of flooding but then I live about 800ft above sea level so I won't ever be flooded out. LOL

Margaret

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 November 09 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Both my brother and I were brought up at Boston, so we are well used to living at or below sea level.We both witnessed the East Coast Floods of 1953. Our last home at Doncaster was 85 feet above sea level,and was not flooded in 2007, though other properties (higher) in the area were; our present bungalow is 165 feet above sea level in Bournemouth. Where does my brother live? In a bungalow just behind the sea wall at Mablethorpe!! I just can't understand why, or am I missing something?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 November 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I am falling off my chair laughing. Think you should have a word with him?

Seriously, I can't imagine what it must be like to know that your possessions could be destroyed in such a short time. I had a flood about 4 years ago due to a burst washer and I had been out for 4 hours. I'm the sort of person who take things as they come but it took 6 months before the repairs were finished. I didn't lose any personal possessions so it was just an inconvenience.

Margaret

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 November 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
If I suggested he get somewhere higher above sea level, he would probably find himself an underwater grotto. We are somewhat opposites. The worst flood we have had was when a dehumidifier didn't shut off as it should, and personally I don't want any worse.There are still people waiting to  move back into their houses after the 2007 floods, and we still go on building in flood zones. The human race must be mad.

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 November 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aggiebagwash,
I have lived in Spalding all my life and have ancestors that were Master Mariners trading from Spalding when it was still a Port. In my research I have found that fishing boats also sailed from Spalding to the Wash and would have passed by the Surfleet Reservoir outfall. There is still a Herring Lane in Spalding where fish were landed and sold. You do not mention a name of your ancester who you are researching? Well known fishermen in the 1800's were named Royce & Lineham. There were also boatbuilders who had slipways on the river to haul up and repair craft. Little London is just up the road from me about 5 mins walk and the river Welland is close by.
Regards
Keith

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 November 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Boston for my first 25 years, would go to Spalding regularly as a teenager, but never knew until now that historically Spalding had been a port, apparently of a similar order to Boston. Why did it cease? Was it the advent of the bulb industry?

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 November 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Do you think that they caught herrings? I am amazed that no one seems to know for sure what would have been caught in the Reservoir or the Welland.

I emailed the Library a couple of weeks ago but I've not had a reply so maybe they don't know either.

Margaret

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 November 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Margaret, If they caught herring then they would go out of the Wash, into the North Sea, as these fish migrated south then I would expect the Spalding boats to catch them around the end of August, after Grimsby, but before Lowestoft.