Author Topic: 'For Loyal Service' badge/medal  (Read 11021 times)

Offline melm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
'For Loyal Service' badge/medal
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
??? Hi,
            Could someone please enlighten me on a 'For Loyal Service' badge.
I have both my father's and grand-father's medals from both wars, all are self explanatory except the Loyal Service badge which I had put with my father's collection after resourcing it on the internet. My father was discharged on medical grounds and was also in the T.A.s which I understood qualified him for this medal/badge however after watching a programme on TV about Eamon Holmes's grand-father in the First World War, who appeared to have this same medal, I'm not so sure. My grand-father was also injured (and captured) during his service which according to the programme merited him for this badge.
All/ any help much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Melm :-\
Mel Markham researching, Markham, Brown, Smith, Wright,  Longthorn, Beacock, Harrison; Yorkshire.
Wright, Doughty; Lincs.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'For Loyal Service' badge/medal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like a WW2 Silver War Badge ??

Melm if you can post his name and any other info we may be able to give more info from other sources.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline melm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 19:22 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi mmm45,
                     Thanks for your interest. Yes, this is the badge, it is the largest one of the set, as I read the article on the link you so kindly provided it did confirm that this medal was first issued in the Great War but also went on to say that the First World War medals were numbered, this one isn't so I presume this is my fathers rather than my grand-fathers.

This now raises another question!! Why didn't my Grand-father, who was injured, captured, released then discharged in 1916 receive one. Did he not possibly meet some criteria to receive one???

If it is of any further help my father was ;
Walter Markham, service number 1430589
Grandfather was Walter Markham, service number 7555

Kind Regards,

Melm :)
Mel Markham researching, Markham, Brown, Smith, Wright,  Longthorn, Beacock, Harrison; Yorkshire.
Wright, Doughty; Lincs.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Melm
Just looked at Walters medal index card...he was entitled to SWB...you can search the SWB Roll but have to have a visit or researcher at Kew.
He was also entitled to clasp and roses to 1914 star for been under fire before Nov 1914 ...an original "Old Contemptible"

It may have been lost.The SWB List will give you his number of badge and reason for discharge.1st Batt East Yorks Reg...Has he pension papers surviving?
The ww2 SWB are slightly different to Great War ones
Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline dastrop490

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 November 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Melm,

If your grandfather was Private 7555 in the 1st East Yorkshire Regiment then the attached extract from his Medal Index Card shows that he was awarded the WWI Silver War Badge. You can see that the badge is different from the WW2 version and as far as I know it would have had a number on the back.

Regards, Ian.

Offline melm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
;) Hi Ady and Ian,
         Many thanks to you both for enlightening me on my father/grandfather's badge. I do have my grandfather's Military Record and Military Report along with his Medal Card however I wasn't aware of what SWB meant, thank you for enlightening me. His SWB has probably gone astray over the years but I'm sure I will be able to purchase one even if it doesn't have the right number on.

Could you clarify what 'Clasp and Roses' are. Is the clasp the large pin which the medals are attached to? and what would the Roses be? I see no sign of these.

Very Kind Regards,
Melm  ;)
Wright, Doughty; Lincs.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 November 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Melm
Clasp and Roses basically a bar with the dates 5th August to Nov 22 1914 dates on it,It goes on the ribbon...It may be missing but you can get copies. The Rose went on the ribbon bar.
They went on the 1914 Star

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 November 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)