Author Topic: Pattersons of Forfar and Kinnell  (Read 6699 times)

Offline Ellen M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pattersons of Forfar and Kinnell
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,
Sorry for tardy reply, I was away traveling.  So as you have gathered Jen and I have GG(+?) grandparents who were siblings.  Like Jen, I have been trying to verify who their father, James Paterson's parents were, nothing definitive yet.  I too have Andersons from Dundee, paternal GG grandfather David Anderson b 1833, parents Thomas Anderson and Isabella Raitt, siblings Thomas, Smith and Victoria.  David married Jessie Laird and immigrated to the US in late 1860s.  Their daughter Jessie married John Paterson Baxter, son of Robert Baxter and Helen Paterson. Robert's father, George Baxter b 1797 parents were George Baxter and Mary Thomson, from Markinch Fife.  They were married in 1795.  There is also a Barbara Thomson married to James Baxter 1770, a Robert Thomson married Agnes Baxter 1737, Anne Thomson to Alexander Baxter 1761, all Markinch   All records listed on Scotlands People.  Haven't had a chance to research yet.  I too have Davidsons on my maternal side, but from Dungannon, County Tyrone, Ireland, originally from Scotland but no idea where or when.
Best,
Ellen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 03:28 BST (UK) »
"In trying to find Thomas Patterson born 1800, Kinnell, I had found conflicting marriage records for his parents James Paterson and Jean Cothill, 26 Nov 1796 Carmyllie and 12 Dec 1796 Kinnell"

This would seem to be the same couple although both from different parishes?

Do you have the original docs. from scotlandspeople.gov.uk which should help?

The 1st (whichever one) will be 6 credits although the 2nd will (or should be) free?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 04:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladies,
happy to chat if anything  looks like a discussion point. Just drop me a PM.

Cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
I had found conflicting marriage records for his parents James Paterson and Jean Cothill, 26 Nov 1796 Carmyllie and 12 Dec 1796 Kinnell.
No conflict there at all.

What it tells you is that at the time of the marriage they lived in different parishes. The banns therefore had to be called in both parishes, so this generated two records in the parish registers, one in each parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.