Author Topic: Louttits Pier  (Read 27218 times)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Louttits Pier
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 November 09 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Found this in Kirkyard A-Stromness:
ILM of Cathrine Taylor wife of Henry Louttit died Aug 11 1811 aged 67 Robert Louttit son of above died May 13 1829 aged 21. The husband and father of the above lies interred in the graveyard of Sandwick Verse' William Louttit died 18 Jan 1881 aged 80.
Does that solve the Robert and William mystery? havent found a young Henry yet though. Unfortunately Sandwick graveyard has not been transcribed as yet, I was there a couple of months ago and it has an awful lot of graves ( a lot with the same names ) so it would probably take ages to find anybody unless you were lucky. It is a beautiful little church though with a lovely glass window.

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 November 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello again akc,

You are really coming up with some gems for me, thank you so much.

Just looking at you Kirkyard information do you think Catherine Taylor might have been a bit younger? If she was 67 in 1811 her d.o.b would have been somewhere c1744, and if her son Robert was 21 years old in 1829 then his d.o.b would be c1808 that would mean she was 64 years old when Robert was born and 67 when William was born - ouch! Or have I misunderstood?

I have just noticed something else as I was typing this and looking at the 1861 census for Hartlepool (RG9/370 Folio 81 page 3) Jessie Walter [nee Louttit] has a given age of 46 making her d.o.b. c1815 - 4 years after her mum died - a bit difficult. Is it possible we are looking at two different couples with identical names?

The IGI has a Katherine Taylor christened on 29th September 1776 in Birsay with parents William Taylor & Mary Moar, and Henry Louttit & Catherine Taylor married 22nd November 1798  also in Birsay.

You are really making me want to visit the Orkney Isles, mind it does not take much I love Scotland, and I have even converted my Sassenach husband - a couple of Hogmanay celebrations did the trick!

Well back to the searching - this is better than solving logic problems.
Best Wishes,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 November 09 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks - just a bit more!

I have checked out the Henry Louttit (farmer) on South Ronaldsay married to Margaret Rosie and they are not connect - well not so far!

This Henry Louttit died 21st June 1874 aged 73, and his parents were Thomas Louttit (farmer) and Catherine Budge.

Just in case anyone else is searching for Louttit families their children were:-

Catherine born 15.10.1829 - baptised 21.10.1829
Barbara born 16.4.1831 - baptised 24.4.1831
Helen born 26.3.1833 - baptised 28.4.1833
James born 24.8.1835 - baptised 6.9.1835
Betsy born 20.2.1838 - baptised 18.3.1838
Thomas born 13.6.1841 - baptised 4.7.1841
Mary born 1.11.1844 - baptised 7.12.1844
William born 17.6.1847 - baptised 7.7.1847

It was the eldest son James who registered the death of his father Henry.

Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 November 09 08:10 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder when I worked out her age on the inscription, possibly whoever transcribed it read her age wrong? another good excuse for me to go to Stromness again! This ancestor hunting certainly gets you out and about

akc
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 November 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I found a death for Robert Brass on Scotlands People: Robert Brass married, died 25 November 1860 in Stromness aged 62 yrs mother was Marjorie Marwick and father was Andrew Brass, he died of paralysis and cerebral disease, brother in law William Louttit was witness. It does not give his wifes name or an address.

akc

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 02:29 GMT (UK) »
First class information again akc.

That fits nicely with the birth for Robert Brass on IGI which gives baptised 1st August 1799 in Sandwick. Parents Androu Brass and Margray Mourick - close enough! You see I always knew my bad spelling would come in useful for something - it helps me to read the information without noticing what order the letters come in or different variations!!!!!

That means when his wife Catharine (nee Louttit) is found on the 1861 census RG9/3786 Folio13, page 14, 1 Lower Thames Street, Westoe, South Shields - District 3 she has only been a widow for a few months, and probably had only been in the north east of England for a short time. She is staying with her youngest daughter Jessie who had married James Lockyer early in 1860, and their first son whom they called Robert (after his granddad no doubt) was only 4 months old so must have been born around the same time as his granddad died. Oh! When the pieces fit isn't it a good feeling?

I have spent a few hours today drawing up the 'Brass Family Tree' so your information about Robert Brass was very well timed. Thank You.

This also confirms that the 3 Louttit sisters Margaret, Jessie & Catharine had a brother called William, no doubt the one who died 18th January 1881 aged 80.

I do hope you enjoy your trip to Stromness, but do pick a day when the weather is fine. I know how strong the winds up there can be. When we were on Dunnet Head last year the wind was playing a tune up the exhaust pipe of the car, and the following day it was calm and glorious sunshine.

Thank you for your continuing help.
Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline brass1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Patsy
Robert Brass and Catherine Louttit were my great great grandparents. I have the Brass family tree and a shorter Louttit one. Louttit's Pier became Brass's Pier and then Sutherland's Pier. I can let you have the info but would rather send a letter as I'm not very computer literate! How can I do that without posting email addresses?
Best Wishes,
EJA

Offline Louttit Fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 October 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
The last message about louttit pier is quite correct, i have been in orkney last week and spoken to many people in stromness, and louttits pier was indeed renamed brass pier and then sutherland pier , i have taken photo's of it and can forward them to anyone that would like one
Regards
Kevin

Offline Hibee1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 December 12 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Much of the info you have posted on the Brass and Louttit families links to my data. Margaret Brass (17 Oct 1827 - 14 Aug 1893) marries Peter Garriock in Leith in 1858. I record Catherine Louttit as dying on 15 Aug in 1867 and Robert her husband on 25 Nov 1860 in Stromness. 
I note - 1) Margaret (the eldest dau) marries Peter Garriock.
2) Tomina Robertson Brass marries an ??? Allan
3) Jessie Brass marries James Lockyer (and has 5 kids)
4) Robert Brass marries Jessie Spence (and has 8 kids)
5) James Brass ?????
6) I can now add Jane Houster Brass to JOhn Douthwaite!
My Data is for William Miller Garriock (my great grandfatheron my grandmothers side) and is in the form of a Gedcom file. I will happily send the file to you if you feel it is of use.

It is always exciting to add new data into a set.
Many thanks - Lawrie