Author Topic: ( NOW COMPLETED ) WOOD family of Portobello  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
( NOW COMPLETED ) WOOD family of Portobello
« on: Monday 09 November 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information please on the WOOD family who lived in Portobello ( Edinburgh ), all I know are some names, Robert Wood, James Wood, Mary Wood, and Ann ( Annie ) Wood.

Mary Wood may have married a man called Hugh Fallon and Ann ( Annie ) Wood may have married a man called David McDaid, as far as I have been told they may have lived at Kings Road Portobello.

My dads cousin was Robert Wood who married a lass called Margaret, I have no idea what her maiden name was, they had two children that I am aware of, Margaret and Robert, they may have lived at Northfield in the Portobello area.

I would be most gratefull for any help on these people, many thanks in advance.

Archie.

Offline susieq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD FAMILY OF PORTOBELLO
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Templar,
around what years are we talking about, as my mum lives on the kings road, but originally comes from Northfield/Mountcastle.
Susan.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD FAMILY OF PORTOBELLO
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I am going back to the fifty's, I remember meeting Robert Wood around perhaps 1952ish, he had his son also Robert with him, as far as I know Robert was not a well man, I remember my dad telling my mum that Robert had passed away, I think a heart attack but I am not sure.

The WOOD family were my dads cousins through the YOUNG family who lived at Pipe Street then Craigmillar, we lived at Joppa.

Margaret Wood, Roberts wife was a very nice lady and I think when Robert died she found life pretty hard and a struggle.

Best regards.

Archie.

Offline susieq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD family of Portobello
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie,

I don't think given the years that my mum will remember, but who am i to say?
I will see her over the weekend and ask, again she may just not know anything about the 'Woods' but i can try!

Susan.

Offline Commando13

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Archie

Hope you are still on line here, I think I may be able to help you.  All these names mean a lot to me, very close relatives !

Hope you reply and we can chat further.

Ricky

Offline gasar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
 :) To Archie,  Just joined rootschat i saw your message re wood family of portobello, am patricia  my maiden name was wood . my dad was robert,my mum was margaret, my nana was annie wood . i have a sister maureen  contact me if you can

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 February 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Comando13 and gasar,

Great to hear from you both, My grandmother was a McDaid and they lived in Pipe Street Portobello, when my grandmother was married she was living with the Wood family in Kings Road, my dad always said that the Wood family were cousins, as stated I remember Mary Wood, very smartly dressed lady.

Gasar, the Robert Wood I knew died a young man, was it his heart ?, and I remember young Robert, he must have been around 5 years old the first time I met him, my dad gave him a sixpence that day, we all sat down on the benches at Portobello Town Hall.

I thought there was a daughter called Margaret ? or am I mistaken, Margaret the mother ran a catalog for I think clothing, a few bob a week, she was a nice lady and I think she had dark hair, I am going back to the 50's.

This is what I have on the Wood family from the 1901 Census.

24 Pipe Street

Robert McDaid born 1884, Portobello, Edinburgh, Age 17, Apprentice Thrower
( Sobbers ) Pottery. ( Lodger ).

James Wood Born 1870, Glasgow, Lanark, Age 31, Pottery Labourer. ( Head ).

Ann Jane Wood born 1876, Portobello, Edinburgh, Age 25. ( Wife ). 

Liza Jane Wood born 1890, Portobello, Edinburgh, Age 11. ( Daughter )

Catherine McDavid born 1881, Portobello, Midlothian, Age 20.  Pottery Worker,
( Lodger ). ( Notice the spelling of the name is wrong, it should be McDaid ).

Looking forward to hearing from you both again

Cheers.

Archie.   

Offline gasar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 February 11 14:24 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi  Archie  Iam so pleased that you have found us. There are a few of us old ones left.I am with Maureen just now and told her all about you trying to find us Maureen lives in magdalene ,i live in dalkeith maureen has three children, so do i  both 2 girls + 1 boy  Maureen + I  would like to know  who your mum dad  were . as far as we can remember  aunty kate and uncle charlie had 2 children , are you related to them 

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 February 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

the answer is no, my gran was Elizabeth McDaid who married George Young, they all lived in Pipe Street, I think aunt Kate was my gran's sister, I remember Kate, was she the one that was very ill and was in bed all the time ?, I remember uncle Charlie he was a big man, like a Bull nobody would argue with him.

My dad was Archie young, he worked in the Bottle Works all his life, I served my apprenticeship there as an engineer, my mum was Helen Young, we used to live at Joppa, I think you lived at was it Mountcastle or Northfield.

Boy it is a small world, old Hugh McDaid is still alive, he is 93 years old, his daughter Helen looks after him, I have 3 boys all doing well, Helen and I are both retired now, we retired early.

Cheers.

Archie.