Author Topic: Carlisle Archives Office  (Read 53333 times)

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carlisle Archives Office
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 May 11 09:34 BST (UK) »
Bus number 63 or 63a on the Crescent directly in front of the station. Ask for Petterill Bank Road. Get off at the shops and walk down hill about 50 yards, and it's on your left.  bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help.  I can see it's going to be a bit of a trek to get from Alston to the archives - maybe the answer is to learn to drive!!
Vera

Offline jeffbubble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 04:27 BST (UK) »
From News & Star

People are being invited to test the new service and its facilities on this Wednesday, May 25 from 9am to 12pm or 2pm to 5pm.

The event includes a tour of the archive centre and Lady Gillford House followed by two hours’ research in the archives and map rooms.

The aim of the event is to give staff the chance to fine tune things before it opens.

To book call 01228 227284/85 or email carlisle.archives@cumbriacc.gov.uk

The provisional opening times will be 9.30am-5pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. It will be closed on closed Mondays.

It will open on the second Saturday of the month from July onwards from 9.30am to 4pm.

These include July 9, August 13, September 10, October 8, November 12 and December 10.

Jefferson - Wigton/Workington
Wilson -Distington/Workington
Mudridge/Mugridge Cumberland & Cornwall
Hewitson -Ulldale

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 June 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
And here was me stuck in the chateau with no phone or email. Finally got email this morning but still no phone. I would have loved that. Did anybody go?  bob.
ps. just to wind everybody up, we have had 2 hrs rain since 17 March and temps around 25 to 29. Hear it's not so good in Carlisle.  :D
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline jackie15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 October 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
   Icontacted the archive sentur a couple of weeks ago looking for info on an afilliation case between my grand parents in 1934 they said they had the info I was looking for and if I sent a chequ theyd photo copy it ,but when I replyed they told me the documents were in a safe wich was stolen. Does any one know waee there may be second copys please Im desperat as this is the only lead Ihave on my Grandfather (George Edgar) Id be thankfull for any help
                                                 Jackie.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
It seems very strange that the archives would say they had the docs and then say they have been stolen in a safe...unless they catalogued a private archive at someone's premises. If the docs you refer to were from solicitors sources, then it sounds like they may well have been stolen.  However if the matter went before the courts, there may be some records. If you PM me the details I will pop round to the archives and do a bit of digging.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline kay727

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 July 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
For those of us miles away, does anyone know of a parish records online project covering carlisle, I need a marriage at saint cuthberts that occurred in november 1773 and I am guessing they will not be handling postal requests at the moment. I need to try and narrow down the christian name of my couples dads at least, as for one, can find no baptism records, and for other, there are several possibles for that year. If any ideas, love to hear, thanks.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 January 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
It has just been announced that from February 1 all four archive centres in Cumbria (Barrow, Carlisle, Kendal and Whitehaven) will only open on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 09.30-13.00 and 14.00-17.00. There will be no Saturday opening.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline morskaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 January 16 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Try - 'www.familysearch.org'  their records go back a long way.  Morskaj.