Author Topic: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin  (Read 25488 times)

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 13:29 BST (UK) »
I contacted Stuart and got the following reply from him.
 Julia
"I just looked into the Rootchat.com site and could not find the Jewish enquiry.  If you come across it again please let me know. If I can be of help to you please let me know.

"Modesty" permits me to say if you Goggle my name it comes up with come interesting articles."

Hi,  thanks for this.  I am already in contact with Stuart & he has recommended me to join Shalom-Ireland.   

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
I recently sent out a message to all the researches on the JewishGen website to everyone searching the name Freedman & all its variations.  This is a section of that email, which will update the info I have on the Dublin Freedman families I am interested in:-

Extracted from the email I've sent:-

I found a Tobias FREEDMAN who died in Dublin, Ireland on - 29th April 1902 aged 72 years, so born about 1830. Occupation: Traveller.  The address on his death certificate gives his address as - 2, Emorville Square, Dublin. The Dublin 1901 census throws some confusion into this information, as the census for this address gives a Julius or Julia (Male) living at this address.  Both from Russia.  The handwriting is hard to decipher and could be mis-transcribed as the name looks like Tobias or Tubia, but the age on the census is 65 - not 72.  This Julius or Tobias, is living with 64 year-old Faiga Freedman, they are married and living as boarders with the
MASLINSKY family at 2, Emorville Square.  I have not found Faiga or Julius FREEDMAN on the 1911 census and I have not found their deaths - only the death of Tobias in 1902.

Also, in Dublin are 2 more FREEDMAN families, who I feel could be connected to each other and also to Faiga and Tobias/Julius FREEDMAN of Emorville Square.

Family Nș 1.  are two Brothers...  Aaron, Marcus FREEDMAN   &    Israel, Wolf FREEDMAN & their parents:- Aaron, Marcus FREEDMAN was born in - Weksna/Meksna, KOVNO.  20th May 1872. Aaron, Marcus address from March 1901 to June 1902 was: 5, Lombard St West (Date of Naturalisation File - June 1902) Married to wife Ada FREEDMAN info off 1901 census - 2 children:   
Tobias FREEDMAN aged 2      (on 1901 census)  Flora, Gerta FREEDMAN aged 6 mths 
This 2 year-old Tobias/Toby FREEDMAN went to South Africa. 
I am in contact and researching with a descendant of this family.
Occupation of Aaron, Marcus FREEDMAN:  Draper
Aaron, Marcus's Brother:- Israel, Wolf FREEDMAN was born 19th March 1880. (Date of Nat file. Nov 1902) 
Israel is Not Married at this time.  Occupation: Draper. The Parents of these 2 brothers are:- Daniel FREEDMAN and Libe FREEDMAN,
both Russian. 

Family Nș 2.  Info from Nat Records:-
Isaac FREEDMAN, born 10th March 1854 in Smeksna, KOVNO, Russia. (Date of Nat File 1892) Isaac address (From Mar 1891 to Apr 1892) at: 37, Lombard St West, Dublin   (same street & same time as "Aaron, Marcus FREEDMAN" Lived there)
Isaac's Parents are - Tobias and Fege FREEDMAN  - both of  Russian Nationality.
I am also in contact and researching with a descendant of family Nș 2.
Isaac Freedman's eldest son Maurice Freedman/Freeman became the mayor of Johannesburg in 1934/5.

We feel strongly that there will be a link with family Nș 1 & family Nș 2 & also to the Tobias/Julius & Faiga FREEDMAN who lived at 2, Emorville Square, which was very close to Lombard Street, in Dublin. 
I am hoping that Tobias & Faiga FREEDMAN are the parents of family Nș2 (Fege & Tobias FREEDMAN)
I am also hoping that this Tobias FREEDMAN who died in 1902, is the father of my grandfather.

-------------------------------------------

I hope that makes more sense than my first message.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello -

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you contact Stuart Rosenblatt via http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/snire.shtml.

craggagh

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 July 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hello -

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you contact Stuart Rosenblatt via http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/snire.shtml.

craggagh

Hi yes, I've been in contact with Stuart for about a year now, thanks craggagh.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 25 June 12 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted & a lot has happened, so I wanted to update this thread & thank everyone for their input.

I've since found proof that the Tobias Freedman who died in Dublin in 1902 was my great grandfather & the Isaac Freedman who lived in Lombard Street West & who went to South Africa in 1892 & whose son became mayor of Johannesburg in 1934, was my grandfather's elder brother.  I've also found other siblings to my grandfather in Dublin.

What knitted all these bits of information together was that my grandfather Louis Freedman/Friedman/Freeman, who lived in Liverpool & never naturalised,
(many didn't because of cost) was therefore classed as a friendly alien & although he was not interned, as were enemy aliens, he needed to carry an identity card & sign an alien register at the local police station at wherever he visited.

On the 28th June 1917 my grandfather signed the alien register at Dublin police station, this is the first time any link to Dublin has shown for my grandfather & it gave information taken from his identity card, demolishing his claim of being a Germany national, as stated on all UK censuses.  The information on his alien entry, says he was from Sweksna, Kovno Russia... the same place Isaac Freedman who went to South Africa was from! 

Isaac Freedman DID naturalise, just a few months before he went to South Africa & his parents were Tobias & FEGE Freedman. The Tobias & Faiga Freedman who lived in Emorville Square on the 1901 census will be their parents. The name Fege/Faiga is the same.  There is a grave for FEIGE FREEMAN at Dolphin's Barn cemetery (no stone) who was buried on 7th July 1927, but her death listing cannot be found, the GRO have traced 10 years either side of that date to no avail. Tobias Freedman's grave is also at Dolphin's Barn (no stone)  I need to find Faiga/Fege/Feige Freedman/Freeman on the 1911 census & her death listing. It might be that she had another name or was in a hospital & unnamed.

I've found another brother - Ralf aka Philip Freedman/Freeman married Sarah Levy in Dublin in 1880, they are on the 1901 & 1911 Dublin census. They had 9 children, but only 3 daughters survived to marry & I need to trace the following descendants as I have 100 year-old documents that need to be given to this family.  It is my guess that Philip Freeman died sometime around end of June 1917, he had previously been in Donnybrook Hospital for two years but signed himself out because this daughter was very ill.  This might be the reason why my grandfather was visiting Dublin with his wife & five of his younger children on 28th June 1917.  A dangerous time to take young children over the Irish sea... maybe he went to see his brother before he died or his funeral.  I have not found the death listing for Philip aka Ralf/Ralph or Raphael Friedman/Freedman/Freeman. Jewish people had an assortment of names & are difficult to research.

Philip & Sarah Freeman's 3 x daughters married...

Maria/Marie Freeman married Harry Russell in Dublin. Maria is shown on the 1901 as Minnie & on the 1911 Dublin census as Maria, living with her parents with 5 year-old daughter Winnie, born in Belfast. They married at Dublin register office, so it might be that Harry Russell was not Jewish & maybe they then lived in Belfast for a while. I cannot find the birth listing for their daughter Winnie.

Ellen/Eleanor or Nellie Freeman married Abraham Harris (Jewish) who was a Jeweller. They were on the 1911 census living next door to Nellie's parents with daughters, 5 year-old Simona (named after Abraham Harris' father - Simon Harris) & 2 year-old Esther.  Abraham Harris was aka Albert Harris & probably had a jeweller's shop in Dublin circa 1900-1911.  By 1917, it might be that Abraham & Nellie Harris had moved to Orpington in Kent.

Eva/Evelyn Freeman married Charles Berg in Liverpool in 1914. Charles Berg, who was a Jewish cabinet maker, was on the 1911 Dublin census staying with Eva & her parents. They had two children in Liverpool, before moving to Manchester where they had two more children & then disappeared.
I have not named the children from this marriage incase some are still living, but they had two boys & two girls, the last was born in Manchester in 1929.

I have also found a sister to my grandfather - Esther-Baila Freedman married Maurice Abramson in Dublin in 1887.  I've found no children to this marriage & I've not found Esther & Maurice Abramson on any Dublin census, but found 'Morris Abrahamson' on the 1939/40 electoral rolls living at 2, Walworth Road with a Myer Abrahamson & Rebecca & Herman ERLICH & a Bertha Erlich registered Morris Abrahamson's death in 1944. No death had been found for Esther Abrahamson. Rebecca/Bertha Erlich was aka Baila Erlich & Baila ran a kosher butcher's shop in Dublin for many years & was known in the community for her good works. Sadly, my trail run dry again. 

The good news is that I have a publisher interested in my book & has assigned an editor to work me to 'polish it up' ready to publish!
I would love to tie up some lose ends to finish the book.

Thanks to everyone for their help...

HG2

PS OK I'll give more details as Tara suggested below, but will do so on another post as this one exceeds the letter qty.

Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 25 June 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
Harrysgirl,

I have been following your search with interest. You have discovered so much. What great news that you have a publisher interested in your book. It will be a remarkable story. May I wish you every success with the outstanding searches.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 June 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Well done you for persevering and achieving!
Best of luck with the book
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 June 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you both... I'll keep you posted of any progress of the research & the book!

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi 'HG2'

Can I just make a suggestion ?

In your message there is a LOT of info and questions weaved into your fab finds. My suggestion is maybe to bullet point briefly the outstanding info that you are still looking for !

Tara