Author Topic: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin  (Read 25599 times)

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin
« Reply #54 on: Monday 03 September 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you so much for this very interesting information. I have done much more research since I last posted to RootsChat. 

If you would like to send me a private message from this website we can share more details.

Kind regards

HG2

I believe we are related. My great grandfather was Maurice Abramson who married Esther Friedman (Fridman/Freedman) in 1887 in Dublin. The marriage certificate states she signed with an "x" which may explain the variation of the surname spelling. The address on their marriage certificate is 57 Lombard Street West. Tobias was her father. Louis Abramson is shown on the certificate Maurice's father. However, Louis was Maurice's brother. Their father was Julius Abramson from Lithuania. The family moved shortly thereafter to Glasgow where Sam was born June 13, 1889 at 6 Oxford Lane, and then to Leeds where Lillie was born as well as my grandmother Betsy on August 13, 1894 at 96 Byron Street. Maurice is listed on her birth certificate as a tailor presser. The family moved to Boston, MA in 1896. Sometime after the marriage and for reasons I have been unable to determine, Julius, Maurice and Esther changed their surname to Cohen as Sam is listed on his birth certificate as Cohen as well as parents Maurice and Esther. Other Abramsons retained their name and also emigrated to the U.S. Tobias died in Glasgow in 1902. As an interesting literary side note, James Joyce's novel Ulysses mentions 57 Lombard Street West in which a Jewish family resides. In May 2018 I visited 57 Lombard as well as the synagogue where the marriage took place. Both buildings are intact.
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline Michelle303

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 31 March 19 05:16 BST (UK) »
I hope this post is still active and that someone responds.

I too am looking for Tobias Friedman. The search keeps leading me back here.

My great grandfather, Joseph Friedman was from Rayton, South Africa. I have been searching for anything on him, parents or siblings. I finally found a death certificate for Abraham Izaac Friedman, died 9/11/47.

He was 50 yrs and 3 months at the time of death, unmarried and no children, but it does list parents and siblings with a sibling Joseph with an address of Rayton. Bingo! I’m getting somewhere, hopefully.

Parents were listed as deceased. Tobias and Temach Friedman. Siblings were Joseph; Lena Hurwitz (presumed deceased) born in Keidan, Lithuania; Anna Friedman (presumed dead) born in Kovno, Lithuania and Woolf Friedman living in Durban, South Africa. I was able to find the gravestone of Woolf.

Hoping to hear from somebody, anybody! I have all information of Josephs children to now, but nothing beyond him. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Michelle

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

My great grandfather was Tobias Friedman/Freedman who died in Dublin in 1902.  He was from Sveksna, Kovno, Russia - now Lithuania. 

Tobias was married to Faiga/Fege/ (maiden name unknown).  Tobias & Faiga are listed on the 1901 Irish census living at Emorville Square, Dublin. Tobias' name has been mis-transcribed as 'Julia Freedman' on the 1901 transcript. 

The only other Tobias Freedman I'm aware of was born in Dublin 23/09/1899. His parents were Aaron Freedman & Ida née Bloom. This family lived at Clanbrassil Street, South Circular Road, Dublin.  Interestingly, this family did go to South Africa.

While there's no obvious link so far, I am curious that you're researching the Freedman name in South Africa, so maybe we should exchange more details, because... Tobias & Faiga's eldest son, Isaac-Jacob Freedman, who was my grandfather's elder brother, went to South Africa with his wife Dorah & their nine children.  Their eldest son, Maurice/Morris Freedman/Freeman, became the Mayor of Johannesburg in 1934.  I am in touch with descendants from this branch.

I am also in touch with descendants of the Tobias Freedman born in Dublin in 1899 who went to South Africa. It has long been suspected - but as yet unproved - that this Freedman branch is connected to my Freedman branch.

Michelle, have you listed the names you're interested in researching on JewishGen.com?

Would you like to exchange email addresses to share further research?
If so, please send me a private message via this website.

Thank you for contacting me,
Regards

Monica in UK
(HarrysGirl2)
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:15 BST (UK) »

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
BTW the transcript of the 1901 Census has been corrected.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Wood_Quay/Emorville_Square/1346786/

Oh, that's good news!  Thank you so much, Sinann.  :)
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline Michelle303

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:37 BST (UK) »
I must be dumb today, I cannot find how to message you. I added you as a buddy, but that’s all I could find. I definitely want to chat more. Please can you message me, then I can respond to that with my details. :)

Michelle

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
New members must have 2 or 3 posts before they can use the PM (Personal Message) system- it's explained in the HELP pages (link at top of page). Try again now that you've 2 posts  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:45 BST (UK) »
I must be dumb today, I cannot find how to message you. I added you as a buddy, but that’s all I could find. I definitely want to chat more. Please can you message me, then I can respond to that with my details. :)

Michelle

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

As Aghadowey said, see:
https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 31 March 19 16:00 BST (UK) »
New members must have 2 or 3 posts before they can use the PM (Personal Message) system- it's explained in the HELP pages (link at top of page). Try again now that you've 2 posts  ;)

Ah, yes. I forgot about that.  Thanks Aghadowey.

I assume that a new member won't receive a PM for the same reason - so you might not get my PM, Michelle.  Don't worry, I'll wait for your message. 

HarrysGirl2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby