Author Topic: Broughton  (Read 6174 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 12 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt....Samuel married Mary Jane Hilda Jordan in Boston Lincs in 1887

1901 he was a striker in a boiler shop:

Children:
Thomas age 11 born Boston
Amy age 8 born Boston
Sam age 6 born Mary age 2 born Hull
Mary age age 2 born Hull
Prudence age 5 months born Hull

I can't make out the address but I think it might be Soham Terrace.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Broughton72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 12 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carol. I Googled Soham Terrace. It is/was? off Wassand Street, Hessle Road. I don't live in Hull anymore so I can't go and check.  I guess the Holy Trinity parish covered Hessle Road.

The Broughtons are there in the 1911 census, but not little Prudence. :-(  In 1919 I think another family was living in No.5 and they had a daughter born there. (I saw it from someone else's tree in the Google search results.)

Thanks for Mary Jane's maiden name. I haven't yet figured out how to find them. I see women appearing as wives in the census records, and I see only husbands listed in Marriage indexes. Is ther another way, other than paying for Marriage certificates?

I love the census records. Aren't they great? Thanks for your help. It's really useful.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 12 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt...Do you use these sites:

http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/

https://www.familysearch.org/

If you type in the surname leaving the Christian name blank on familysearch and then add the parents names it will give you the births of their children.

Also if you have access to Ancestry there are matching family trees for Broughton.

My Broughtons are from Leicester and didn't come to Hull until the 1890s

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Here is the death entry for Prudence:

Yorkshire Death indexes for the years: 1902
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
BROUGHTON Prudence 1 Myton Hull MYT/10A/382

Carol

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Other sites that are useful

freebmd.org.uk

freecen.org.uk

Offline soberhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton In Hull, East Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  Whilst searching through RootsWeb, I noted that you have an interest in the BROUGHTON name in Hull, East Yorkshire.  My wife originated from the Hessle Road area of Hull in the same timeframe which you mention.

Her mother's maiden name was Gladys Jean Broughton (b.1924, Hull).  She was one of 4 children born to Henry Herbert Broughton (b.1894, Hull) and his wife, Ada PATTERSON.  Henry Herbert had the following siblings (all born in Hull) : Beatrice (b.1895), Grace Gertrude (b.1896), Cyril (b.1901), Annie (b.1903), James Henry (b.1905), Harry (b.1909), Thomas (b.1910) and Clara Leonara (b.1915). The above children's parents were Henry Herbert BROUGHTON (b.1868, Hunslet, Leeds) and Mary Anne CAVANAUGH (b.circa 1872, Hull). Prior to that, I believe that these Broughtons were from West Yorkshire.

I note that you say your Broughtons were from Goxhill in Lincolnshire, so maybe there is not a direct relationship.  However, our Broughtons have a connection with New Holland in Lincolnshire and that village is not far from Goxhill.

If you let me know your email address, I can send you all the information I have recorded on our BROUGHTON family.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My Broughtons originated from Knighton in Leicester, if you should find a connection I would be happy to share what I have.
Carol