Author Topic: 1939 Registration  (Read 63097 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Registration
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand what is happening.  They found my aunt and uncle for me, even though I gave the wrong address.    Maybe they moved to the address I gave soon after registration, so that address was on the records.  Even so I didn't give the number of the house, although  I gave the correct City.  I knew my aunt's full name and date of death, but that was all the info I gave.  I didn't even give my uncle's name as I wasn't sure what name he had registered, I just gave his name as Mr Hobson and said he'd died in the 1940s/50s.

By giving them your aunt's full name and date of death they would have been able to identify her NHS record and working back through that record would have found her 1939 address. They would have then found the form for that address with the other occupants and then worked forward through the NHS records to ascertain whether the people were deceased or not.

Andy

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, but that seems to be more work than some other staff have been putting in, judging by comments on here.  Perhaps I just got lucky.

Lizzie

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Thursday 18 February 10 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, but that seems to be more work than some other staff have been putting in, judging by comments on here.  Perhaps I just got lucky.

I'm not sure that I would totally agree with that, because requests are made under FOI there is always the potential of an appeal so I believe the NHS would have to document their actions.

The biggest problem with just supplying an address I suspect would be the state of the archiving of the forms. Essentially you are trying to find one form amongst several million that exactly matches the address requested which particularly in rural or semi-rural areas can be a problem. Apart from forms that have been mis-sorted you also have to remember that the war had started, reservists would no doubt have been called up and evacuations had started so initial registrations may not be where you expect them.

Andy

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Thursday 18 February 10 09:24 GMT (UK) »
dare I say sounds like folk are being fobbed off now so they can charge  ::)

They're lucky. I've never had so much as an acknowledgement  ???
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Thursday 18 February 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Had my response to my second request for one property in Durham.

Unfortunately they cannot locate the address.  Funny that, my dad was living there in 1939 with his parents and as my dad is still alive and in full possession of his faculties I wonder what the problem is.

Of course they are willing to do a further search under the new guidelines.

I got a further email in reply to my query about them giving me the wrong family on a previous request - the case is closed, end of, bugg*r off!!!  >:(

Cynical? moi?
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Thursday 18 February 10 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I still say I got lucky with whoever was handling my request.

Lizzie

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Thursday 18 February 10 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Received an email today with this link relating to "New Fee Paying Access to 1939 Registration announced".

http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/news/new-fee-paying-access-1939-national-register-announced?utm_source=WDYTYANL170210&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=MainStoryClick

Apologies if this has already been covered but it is such a long and involved thread now.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Thursday 18 February 10 13:39 GMT (UK) »
The fee must be to cover the cost of all the e-mails that are sent saying, looking into it, passed it to someone else, oh passed it to someone else now etc. ;D  I shouldn't complain, I got the info I wanted and before they introduced the charge.

Lizzie

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Thursday 18 February 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire