Author Topic: 1939 Registration  (Read 63028 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Registration
« Reply #288 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Selina,
I responded to my first 'result' saying that I knew the addresses were correct etc.  I got a holding email.  Then about a week or so later one telling me my enquiry was closed but I could pay for another search  ::)

well if they couldn't find it in the first place and the success rate seems patchy I'm hardly going to risk £42.
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Parmesan,

Oh well seems I need not get my hopes up then.

Thanks,

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I smell a rat!

I made 5 enquiries in January.

Today I got the replies and they said they can't find 4 and gave me what may be the wrong information for the 5th.

With service like that why would anyone pay £42?

Needless to say I shall be replying to them ....
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
It does seem an easy way to waste money.

Another 'failure' was having given full birth date and full name, full marriage name in 1939 and full date of death an full name (second marriage).   

No point in reapplying as no more to add to all that, if address was known then the enquiry would not have been made.

Selina

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Friday 19 February 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I smell a rat!

<sniff> <sniff>

hmmm yes and its getting stronger!
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Saturday 20 February 10 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Strangely the one I didn't get back was for my grandparents, I didn't give a name just an address but I was told it couldn't be found. The building is still standing and if I google it I get this address

NHS Litigation Authority
Napier House
24 High Holborn

so they obviously know where it is now  ;D

Rosie

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Saturday 20 February 10 09:39 GMT (UK) »
it would be interesting to collate all the negative responses to see just how many there are and the reasons why.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Saturday 20 February 10 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Would you like some positive responses also? The results I received in my English and Welsh return from the NHSIC concerning an address St Albans contained six out of seven individuals, including one who turned out to be a Kinder Transport refugee, which I was able to confirm from the sole survivor from the household, an archdeacon living in Sheffield (the only member of my family to be 'Venerable'!).

For my two Scottish requests I was able to confirm from the GROS that my great grandmother was in fact in Glasgow at the start of the war, and not Inverness as believed, and was able to find a date of birth for my great uncle, who was born in Belgium. I also now know that my great aunt was living with her from a check in the electoral register for the relevant address that my great granny was found at, and so have now sent off a third request which will again conform date of birth in Belgium and hopefully an occupation.

With regard to Northern Ireland, my FOI request is still current, but I have been contacted by staff there who have been more than forthcoming about the various problems they have. I now know that they have found the info I am looking for concerning my grandparents, and am waiting for their internal discussions to be completed before they release it to me.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Saturday 20 February 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
As said I recieved the results for my great, great grandmother in London in 1939. I supplied the right info and they managed to find her OK.

I did hear that at present there are no plans to release the original images.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain