Author Topic: FAGAN and BUTTERLY  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Couchresearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FAGAN and BUTTERLY
« on: Monday 09 November 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

We’re researching our Fagan family history from London, Ontario, Canada and would like to find burial information for our ancestor who is buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery near Dublin.

Would there be someone available to look at the burial registers at the Dublin City Archive on Pearse Street or look for a headstone transcription at the cemetery?

We feel the burial records and headstone information will help us find our ancesters both living as young single children with their parents on the 1911 Ireland Dublin census and if successful, will also lead to finding both families on the 1901.

Husband: Thomas Fagan, b. approximately 1903-07 d. approximately 1943 (age 47), Burial: Mt Jerome Cemetery
Wife: Mary Nugent, b. 1907
Married: approximately 1928

Regards,
Dan Kennedy
London, Ontario
Canada

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Mt. Jerome Cemetery Graves
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
welcome to Rootschat, Butterlyfagan

have you been able to find these two people on ...
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

and have you been able to find births or their marriage or Thomas' death on ....
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

I'm just saying this because looking through burial registers is slow stuff, and a date of death is useful!
I had a quick look for Thomas' death - 7 adult Thomas Fagan died in Dublin between 1940 and 1946 -
the two nearest seem to be ... one in 1943 aged 53 - one in 1945 aged 51 - you'd know best which was yours

eadaoin

PS - I'm curious about the name BUTTERLYFAGAN - it rings bells!
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Couchresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi eadaoin,

Michelle Butterly is a friend of mine who works in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  We grew up together here in London, Ontario, Canada.  Her parents, Butterly and Fagan, immigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1958.  I am helping Michelle do her family history.  I still live in London, Ontario, Canada.

We're trying to locate the Butterly's and Fagan's on the 1901 and 1911 Ireland census.  We already have found the Butterly's on the 1911 and are contacting people, such as the Latter Days Saints for microfilm, to find them on the 1901.  Would you know a quick way to find the same Butterly's on the 1901?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Merchants_Quay__part_of_/Newmarket/77377/

We've also been looking for the Fagan's on the 1901 and 1911, as well as, births and marriages on the LDS web site and there are several; too many to choose from, so we feel we need additional info, such as cemetery info, to help narrow down and weed out the choices in order to confirm our Fagan family on the 1901 and 1911 census.  Would you see a way we could obtain the little info we need to help identify them on the the 1901 and 1911.

In the end, once we have both families on the 1901 and 1911, we'll move towards collecting BMD's for the parents and siblings.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 17:23 GMT (UK) »
In my case, a distant Fagan male relative married a Butterley .. no Thomas Fagan in our Fagans that I know of.

I see the Butterlys are all Silk Weavers, and Newmarket is in the weavers area of Dublin. They probably lived in this area in 1901, maybe in the same house.
Maybe you could start a new thread, giving the addresses that you have for the Butterleys and Fagans (and Nugents?) in 1911, and asking if someone might lookup these addresses for 1901 in the National Archive. I'm too bogged down in family commitments till after Christmas at least.

I'm a bit confused about Thomas Fagan - if he was born 1903? 1907?, he wouldn't be 47 in 1943 (mind you, people lie about their ages on censuses - not usually kids, tho' - and sometimes when someone dies, no-one is quite sure just how old they were.)
I presume Thomas Fagan and Mary Nugent married in Ireland?

good luck eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
1901 census is due to be added to National Archives website soon and will be searchable and free just like 1911 census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Couchresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

We’re wondering if someone would have suggestions or some advice on how to find additional family information on our BUTTERLY and FAGAN family in Ireland.  The family immigrated as Butterly to Canada in 1958.  We’re trying to find both families on the 1901 and 1911 Ireland census.  We have the Butterly’s on the 1911.  Should we order the 1901 microfilm from the LDS, Utah, eventhough it's soon to come online?  What family info is avialable to identify and confirm between the several Fagan family choices shown for the 1911 Ireland census online and shown for BMD's on the LDS web site?  Too many to choose from.  The birth and death math for Thomas Fagan is strange; sorry; that's what we have for now.

BUTTERLY

1911 Ireland Census, Newmarket, Merchants Quay (part of) Dublin
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Merchants_Quay__part_of_/Newmarket/77377/

1901 Ireland Census Catalog, Family History Centre, Utah, USA
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlehitlist&columns=*%2C0%2C0&keyword=1901+ireland+census&prekeyword=1901+ireland+census

FAGAN

Father of Thomas Fagan (47) below is Thomas Fagan.  Wife and other siblings unknown, but all Dublin

Husband: Thomas Fagan, b. approximately 1903-07 d. 1943 (age 47). Burial, Mt. Jerome [James Anthony Thomas (Tony) Fagan]
Wife: Mary Nugent, b. 1907
Marriage: approximately 1928
Children: (some living)
Bridget
Jack
Tom
Sarah

Thomas Fagan at one time lived on Clonfort Road, York Street and Sean McDermott Street, Dublin

Regards,
Dan Kennedy
London, Ontario
Canada

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FAGAN and BUTTERLY
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Since you've started posting so many Fagan and Butterly details on the Mount Jerome cemetery thread I decided to split these posts to form a new topic to avoid any more confusion and for you to have a better chance of getting further help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
probably the place to start the search for futher info on the Butterly family is with the marriage of James & Margaret. The best match on the civil index is :

Name: James Butterly
 Registration district: Dublin South
 Record type: Marriage
 qtr/year: Jan - Mar 1884
 Volume: 2 / Page: 703

there are other James Butterly marriages around the right time in Co. Dublin, but seeing as everyone in the househld is lists birthplace as Dublin city - this seems most likely.

You may be able to figure out where they lived around 1901 by looking for the birth certs of the two children born around that time (Michael & James jnr).

You can order a full research cert from the GRO (www.groireland.ie) using the refrences above. The civil index is available to search at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

Shane

update :   found a possible cross-match for the marriage :

Name: Margaret Reynolds
 Registration district: Dublin South
 Record type: Marriage
 quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1884
 Volume: 2 / Page: 703
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pat7543

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 April 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan!

The Butterlys at Newmarket in the 1911 Irish Census were my great grandparents - the children my
grandfather (John) and great Uncles/aunts-

In the 1901 Census they were here:  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Merchants_Quay/Ward_s_Hill/1344922/

One of the children   Jorge (George) was married to a Bridget  and of their children only the youngest still lives (patricia - who was born in the Coombe Hospital on the same day as me!!!)

Great uncle James married in N Dublin and moved to London (Lambeth) where two chldren were born in the 1920s  - Ann and Gerard.

I live in Germany and my brother  and sister are in England as are 3 of the 4 children of my Dad's brother. 

Am not sure how to send a PM (Personal Message) on this site but will furnish more detail when I have worked it out  :) :)