Author Topic: 1911 census - found adoption details  (Read 9174 times)

Offline jadelacey182

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census - found adoption details
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 May 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm doing a creative writing degree and in my 3rd year, we have been set an assignment where we have to research into someones past, "A forgotten life",  as the assignment is called. The person we pick mustn't be someone who is famous with a past that is easy to source so I have picked a family who used to live in my sister in-law's house.

Siegmund Jacob and his wife Olivia Jacob lived in the house that has now been converted into two maisonettes in 1901. I have been trawling Ancestry.com, Find My Past and The National Archives for information and have so far found a couple of the places they lived, the fact they adopted Gwendoline and that Olivia died in Hove in 1950.

What is strange is that I can't find Siegmund's death date! Does anyone know when this was?  I believe Siegmund and Olivia divorced in 1933. It also looks like he re-married the following year, to a woman called Cissie Milward.

I wondered if you had any more information I could use please? I also wondered if anyone could confirm that my findings about the divorce and re-marriage is correct?

Thank you,
Jade

If any one has any extra information of this family I would really appreciate it. :-)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 May 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to RootsChat  :)

Jewish Chronicle, 27 April 1934
"Mr Siegmund Jacob and Mrs. Millward.
The marriage was solemnised on April 19th, at the New West End Synagogue, by the Revs. Isaac Goldston and Ephraim Levine, of Siegmund Jacob and Cissie Millward."

The 1933 divorce papers can be checked in person at TNA, or copies sent to you – there is no online access to case-files for that year.

There’s a possible post-war emigration to New York, on the ‘Queen Mary’, on 19 September 1947 for Siegmund JACOB, aged 75, and Sarah JACOB, aged 54, both from Strafford Court, London W. Sarah is probably Cissie. Again if it's the same couple, they are at 22 Vale Court, Maida Vale, in the London electoral rolls, 1933-1935. She is entered as Cissie in 1933 and Sarah in 1934 and 1935. There may be later electoral records for them (I haven’t checked).

There’s a possible death index entry in Manhattan on 23 April 1951 for a Siegmund JACOB, aged 79.

ADDED – ‘Cissie’ was probably the Cissie/Sarah PRAGER who married Philip Levy MILLWARD in Hackney in 1914. They had a daughter in 1915 and a son in 1917. Philip died in 1919, aged 36. Their son died in 1934, aged 16 (various notices in the Jewish Chronicle refer).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 May 18 15:13 BST (UK) »

1934 QJ Marylebone 1a 1358 . . . . . FREEBMD listed . . . . .

Siegmund Jacob (Millward)

Cissie Millward (Jacob)Sarah Millward (Jacob)
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline JayNQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 May 18 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jade,

I see where two very kind rootschatters have already provided very helpful information.

I am afraid I am unable to add anymore as I was researching OH's Blincow family and not the Jacobs family. If I uncover anymore information, I shall post it on this site. Your assignment topic sounds so very interesting and I wish you well. Gazania

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jade, did you find these replies useful at all?

Offline jadelacey182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help!! I am just finishing off my assignment now, your feedback was really helpful.
Jade