Author Topic: Mitchell family Somerset/Dorset  (Read 3060 times)

Offline cowpig

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell family Somerset/Dorset
« on: Thursday 12 November 09 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out about my great great grandparents, Albert Mitchell b. Somerset 1848 and Tabitha Groves b. Symondsbury around the same time.

I have been lead to believe that they had 10 children but I have not been able to trace them all.  I have been told that on the 1911 census it states 10 children born 9 live.  Could someone please take a quick look for me.

On the 1861 Census Albert and his siblings are in the Weymouth Workhouse on Wyke Road, Melcombe Regis and Tabitha is in Symondsbury.  I have managed to find out about one of Albert's sisters Emma who went on to have an illegitimate son James Richards Mitchell b. 1869 Churchstanton Somerset but I have not had any luck with the others. 
Any ideas, suggestions, places to look would be much appreciated.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family Somerset/Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am not sure what you have already found.

Albert was born in Taunton, Somerset June Qtr 1848 10 492.

Albert and Tabitha were married in Weymouth Sept Qtr 1870 5a 524.

On the 1911 census Albert, Tabitha + children James aged 27 years born Wyke Regis;Elizabeth Ann aged 24 years born Wyke Regis and Rose aged 18 years born Wyke Regis-all 3 are unmarried.

There were 10 children born and 9 still living in 1911. The family were living at 5 Evelyn Terrace, Wyke Regis, Weymouth, Dorset. Albert was a Platelayer working for the Great Western Railway.(GWR) His son James was working for Whiteheads Ltd.

I then went to the Dorset OPC site-Wyke Regis and found a couple of other children born to Albert and Tabitha; Henry Groves Mitchell 26/7/1874, and Alice Mitchell born 10/12/1876.

There are other Mitchell/Groves families on the OPC site for Wyke Regis, which may well turn out to be relatives.

regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline cowpig

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, I cant always get the Dorset OPC site to work.  I found another child today Alfred, I think this was the missing one.  Found a lot of transcripts for the churchyard at Wyke on the WPBC site.

Evelyn Terrace, I have never heard of but my Mum still lives in Wyke Regis so will ask her what she thinks aboout the name.

Have a few more bits of information now so will plod on.

Again, many thanks.

Offline Gerdy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:25 GMT (UK) »
An old thread I've just come across but Evelyn Terrace in on Wyke Regis High St. It runs northwards from what was the old Northovers shop.